Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Those winter turbo gainz
Quote | Reply
Wanted to start a general discussion on turbo training plans, recommendations, methods people like/used/dislike.

Have a tacx flux and vector to pair to an app, have tried TR, SF and Zwift, i've always favoured Sufferfest for the interactive scenarios and varied workouts over the years, but like with Zwift, the temptation to really push it can be too high to consistently show up and hit numbers for sessions.
Have had a lactate test done in a local sports testing lab, and have been given heart rate values to follow, mainly sweet-spot-FTP types durations, 2-3 x 15-20 mins at 88-100% FTP and then lots of easy/steady aerobic work. The lab think follow HR and let the power rise as it does from keeping HR similar - a method i've used with running and had good historical improvements with (speed up for same HR/effort).
When trying to do these previously i'd do 2 x 20 mins at close to FTP twice a week for a few weeks then be pretty tired! Mentally working below FTP seems a little bit of a waste, and I often re-visit Flanagan's FTP advice in this thread (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...l_results)_P2932430/).
Looking at TR plans, there seems to be a load of sub FTP work, and also intervals shorter than 15-20 mins for this type of work e.g. 8 x 8 mins at 85% - on the fastalk podcast I remember one where they said longer is better and the first few minutes don't really get you much return, so I would have thought shorter intervals wouldn't be favorable, except for mentally where they help make the session pass quicker?

Anyway, to the crux of it... if you had a decent base and FTP, you've had a few weeks off and are ready to start in to some training for winter, goals are road racing and some sprints, oly and a 70.3 or 2 next season, how would you approach the bike - assume 2 1-1.5 hour turbo sessions a week, with some easy commutting by bike and a longer spin on the weekend, with some easy running/swimming around it.
Start with sweetspot work and build duration?
Do one FTP and one Vo2 sessions a week?
Do some Zwift racing?
How often would you retest?
Would you go with HR as per lab test recommendations and watch power as well or prioritise power and largely ignore HR?

Also shout any tips, experiences, favourite workouts, favourite apps!

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply