Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think?
Quote | Reply
Seems like Jan as the pick doesn't seem too difficult, the guy is the most professional racer on the circuit. Very rarely does Jan not deliver the goods, he is the betting man's safe bet. My only question on the report is the individual athletes ranking for swim, bike, and run. Braden Currie and several others seem to be undersold on the run by garnering only 3/5 on the run scale.

Thorsten can feel free to give me credit for the Matt Hansen photo as well, but that's the most minor of gripes.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m almost through it, and think it’s great so far, as usual. I think the rating for Braden is prob correct considering he ran 2:53 last year and is quite uneven in his runs. The only thing that bothered me was that he also kept pushing the Alistair doesn’t do well in the heat-agenda which there is no basis for.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Currie ran his fastest ever 70.3 ever at Sunny Coast 70.3 two weeks ago. I was checking in next to him at that race and joked not to try and challenge Lange so early this year and he laughed and said that's not my style I will just have to be in better run form. The guy can ride as well so I'm backing him as a dark horse.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think the performance of Cam Wurf could be really interesting off the back of racing and winning IM Italy last weekend, which is only 3 weeks from Kona?

I read a quote from him recently that said in cycling, they would often race the Dauphine in prep for the Tour de France which is only a 3 week gap as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [gaztri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was mentioned during the commentary on IM Italy that it was hard to know how much to read into his performance due to the nature of the course and the cooler temps. Wurf has improved his swim and his run over the last 12 months - He'll still be the first into T2 and he'll get further into the run before anyone catches him this year (if indeed anyone does!).

And his reaction to being overtaken by Alex Zanardi was pure highlight reel fodder!
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I’m almost through it, and think it’s great so far, as usual. I think the rating for Braden is prob correct considering he ran 2:53 last year and is quite uneven in his runs. The only thing that bothered me was that he also kept pushing the Alistair doesn’t do well in the heat-agenda which there is no basis for.

I don't follow closely enough to have his race history memorized or anything, but I did watch AB melt down and run like 38 minutes in the heat at HyVee back in 2012. So at least one data point anyway? I do feel like I see the narrative mentioned more often than I see examples of it happening though

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [gaztri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'I obviously haven't raced anywhere near as much this year as in previous years. I've learnt a lot over the previous years with the large amount of racing I'd done so was time to lay some more foundations during the training phase as that's just difficult to do when your racing & recovering all the time. We also had a close look at when I'd done my best IM performances. In every case my best performances, Sweden & Wales in 2017, Zurich in 2018 & Port Macquarie earlier this year came 2-3 weeks after a race. Basically if i raced 2-3 weeks after another race i always did better in the 2nd race, guess its the cyclist in me. So we had a look at the IM schedule & IM Italy & Barcelona where right in my sweet spot.'
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see him challenge Lange again, he's one of the few guys who has the legs to do it.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Steele of Triathlon

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been hyping him for a while. I don’t think he wins it this year...but if the race goes halfway his way (conditions), he has a real shot. I have him easily in top 10 (yes, seriously) and a good shot to podium. But there is some real firepower this year (a focused Jan will be tough to bet against) and the top 10 will be interesting. I have a feeling this year’s race will be one of the best in a long time for competitiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've said it a million times, we've yet to see Jan have to run his fastest in Kona. If there is a moment in the run where it's Patrick and Jan together, we'll see that his 2:44 in 2016 was not his fastest.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
I've said it a million times, we've yet to see Jan have to run his fastest in Kona. If there is a moment in the run where it's Patrick and Jan together, we'll see that his 2:44 in 2016 was not his fastest.
Yup. I actually think Lange isn't even top 5 this year (Monty, want in on this?). He won't be close enough on the bike for his run to get him high enough. Just too much power on the bike this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Yup. I actually think Lange isn't even top 5 this year (Monty, want in on this?). He won't be close enough on the bike for his run to get him high enough. Just too much power on the bike this year.

Agreed. That lead train is going to be flying! I wonder what the weather conditions will bring this year.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:

Hard to see him finishing outside the top 5 with a 2:40 run, unless it's a blustery day. I wouldn't put him as my first choice to win, but he keeps delivering in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

Hard to see him finishing outside the top 5 with a 2:40 run, unless it's a blustery day. I wouldn't put him as my first choice to win, but he keeps delivering in Kona.
Would you care to make a wager??? Lol

I don't disagree...except for this year. Then again, I could be proven wrong and you could be up some $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. I actually think Lange isn't even top 5 this year (Monty, want in on this?).//

Ok, I got a $100 that says he is top 5, may as well get this betting party started!!! Shake...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:

Would you care to make a wager??? Lol

I don't disagree...except for this year. Then again, I could be proven wrong and you could be up some $$.

Hehe ... I have a long history of safe bets gone horribly wrong, so I know better than putting my money where my mouth is ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that he'll be back on the bike, even though Dreitz will be available for help. That being said, he runs well enough to close down a lot of places off the bike. Top 5 is pretty reasonable given a 2:40 run. McNamee is making a living off of coming off the bike way back and running 2:45 to get two thirds in two years. The gambles these pros take at Kona are pretty much all or nothing, they go for first at the risk of blowing up and finishing twentieth. If Lange runs like normal, I don't think he'll win but he certainly will knock off quite a few guys in the top ten.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Yup. I actually think Lange isn't even top 5 this year (Monty, want in on this?).//

Ok, I got a $100 that says he is top 5, may as well get this betting party started!!! Shake...

He's the favorite, so a 1-1 doesn't seem like legit odds to give for a five positions spot. I'll go my $100 to your $150. Shake?

I mean, I did give you straight up with Ryf…
Last edited by: Culley22: Sep 25, 19 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's the favorite, so a 1-1 doesn't seem like legit odds to give for a five positions spot. I'll go my $100 to your $150. Shake? //

Actually he is not the favorite, that would fall to Frondeno. And it will be interesting to see of Allistar comes off with 2nd best odds, remember they had to shut the betting down on him for the 70.s WC. But I will give you that 1.5 to 1, maybe give me a push at 6th? In a normal year I would be more confident in his abilities, just a lot more guys this year that are top 5 material, so a weak bike could easily put his 2;40 out of the top 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Thorsten's Kona report is out, what do you think? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
He's the favorite, so a 1-1 doesn't seem like legit odds to give for a five positions spot. I'll go my $100 to your $150. Shake? //

Actually he is not the favorite, that would fall to Frondeno. And it will be interesting to see of Allistar comes off with 2nd best odds, remember they had to shut the betting down on him for the 70.s WC. But I will give you that 1.5 to 1, maybe give me a push at 6th? In a normal year I would be more confident in his abilities, just a lot more guys this year that are top 5 material, so a weak bike could easily put his 2;40 out of the top 5.
Jan because he skipped 70.3. AB hasn't even won the half yet, and i'm guessing his full isn't going to be etter (yet) than his half performance. But I like that you're giving me the hard sell! Lol

I'll give you the push with 6. Shake.

also once I get some free time at home I'll dig in on some of our other options we've discussed. This is fun!! Haha
Quote Reply

Prev Next