Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This might be a spoiler
Quote | Reply
2005 French champion Pierrick Fedrigo (Bouygues Telecom) has won the 14th stage of the Tour in Gap, outsprinting a surprised Salvatore Commesso (Lampre-Fondital) in a two man finish. The pair finished just ahead of a small bunch containing all the GC favourites, with Christian Vandevelde (CSC) taking third.

The two leaders were the survivors of an earlier break of six, which started to form after 34 km in the 181 km stage. The full break consisted of Fedrigo, Commesso, Matthias Kessler (T-Mobile), Mario Aerts (Davitamon-Lotto), David Canada (Saunier Duval) and Rik Verbrugghe (Cofidis). They never got more than 5'45 as Caisse d'Epargne, the team of maillot jaune Oscar Pereiro set a strong tempo, before Quick.Step, Liquigas and Milram chased in the final 50 km. The break lost Kessler, Verbrugghe and Canada when they crashed on a corner with 40 km to go, with the latter two riders withdrawing from the race. Canada broke his collarbone, while Verbrugghe fractured his thigh.

On the final climb with 15 km to go, Commesso and Fedrigo dropped Aerts, and managed to stay ahead of the chasing peloton by a handful of seconds at the finish in Gap. Commesso led out, but Fedrigo was too strong and came around him to take a big win.
Quote Reply
Re: This might be a spoiler [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What leads you to think your post might be a spoiler?
Quote Reply
Re: This might be a spoiler [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

how nasty was that crash over the guard rails? I guess we can't mention the names of those involved
Quote Reply
Re: This might be a spoiler [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NASTY, NASTY, NASTY

How about Rabobank and Boogard in particular pulling everybody up that last hill. Floyd may have some problems in the Alps.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: This might be a spoiler [Nakima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. Floyd looks pretty comfortable and his team as well. We shall see

Re: This might be a spoiler [Nakima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Floyd may have some problems in the Alps."

I agree. It will not be as cut-and-dried as Armstrong had it in the past. There are a number of men in the top 10 on GC with decent to great team support that could surprise. The three days in the alps will be huge!

The great news is that we are really seeing some wide open racing with a great deal of uncertainty with every stage. Compare this to the past 7 years which had become very formulamatic. It always amazed me that no team or combination of teams could disrupt that Postal Service/Discovery misson. Every critical stage ALWAYS seemed to unfold on their terms and with their game-plan. It was very predictable. Huge credit to Armstrong and Bruyneel for doing it all those years, but truth be told it had become a bit tedious. I liked the fact that Armstrong won 7, but we missed action and events like yesterday when Oscar Pereiro came from nowhere to be a contender. Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears is perhaps a team on a misson - with Valverde out, they may be super motivated to ride for Pereiro. He's no slouch as he has showen in the past.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply