Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is why my views on open water swimming are so different ..
Quote | Reply
 I never get sick of watching these guys and girls do their thing and if you watch them on the TV and train on the same beaches as them,it becomes your normal.

The Girls..
Ocean6 Round Six Female Jolyn Swim - YouTube

The Boys..
Ocean6 Round Six Kennards Hire Male Swim Series - YouTube

I entered one of the World Swim Series races today (Noosa 5k) so I was tooling around the Summer of Surf YouTube channel for some swimspiration.. I know at least Monty will be interested.. :-)
Summer of Surf - YouTube
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 2, 20 2:20
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ironwomen...
Ocean6 Round Six Nutri Grain IronWoman Series - YouTube

The Ironmen..
Ocean6 Round Six Nutri-Grain IronMan Series - YouTube

Just for something different in the awesome Wanda Beach surf..
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Piha '96

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alC2vKv94GU

I miss Saturday and Sunday arvos plugged in and watching Ironman and Toohey's Blue series. And miss WATCHING Ironman in person - remember epic years at Portsea, and then going for a swim afterwards and realising that in those conditions even surviving wasn't a bad effort. These people RACE in it.
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Or Piha '96

I miss Saturday and Sunday arvos plugged in and watching Ironman and Toohey's Blue series. And miss WATCHING Ironman in person - remember epic years at Portsea, and then going for a swim afterwards and realising that in those conditions even surviving wasn't a bad effort. These people RACE in it.

Yep during the 90's I used to do four hour trainer sessions watching the triathletes and the Uncle Tobys guys back to back..I lived in Kirra not far from Tugun Surf Club and when the boys came back from Piha that year they were treated like heroes.That day was just beyond belief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Nutri-Grain AU NZ on youtube has some good content for winter trainer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/...trigrainau/playlists
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
Thanks for posting. Nutri-Grain AU NZ on youtube has some good content for winter trainer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/...trigrainau/playlists

Great,now I have a whole new selection of videos to obsess over..Oh well,another year being single ahead I guess.. :-)
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 2, 20 4:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very lucky to have a very, very, tolerant wife!

Evens out though, we tend to spend most of the Euro winter watching biathlon and XC, both of which are bloody amazing (and when she lived in Australia she rowed surfboats, so understands Ironman better than I do!)
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waikiki was once a stop in the Pro Lifeguard Tour. I managed to buy a ski and a paddle board from Hayden Kinney one year. Those guys are so fast on the paddle board. I could almost keep up a little bit prone, but when they got up on the knees...see ya. It is really hard to knee paddle. My tip of the hat to the men and women that work in the surf for a living.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always super impressed with the fast turnover of these OWS swimmers. Seriously, if I could turnover that fast, I'd probably be a 1:10/100 swimmer even with my mediocre technique!
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are surf swimming. A bit different than OWS. In the lifeguard swims the surf is so choppy it is sort of like a water polo stroke. When they are pointed toward the shore they are feeling with their feet for a bump, then it is a 100 % sprint like getting up on a wave surfing. If you don't work the waves you lose so much time in those events. Fun to watch that brutal sport.
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
They are surf swimming. A bit different than OWS. In the lifeguard swims the surf is so choppy it is sort of like a water polo stroke. When they are pointed toward the shore they are feeling with their feet for a bump, then it is a 100 % sprint like getting up on a wave surfing. If you don't work the waves you lose so much time in those events. Fun to watch that brutal sport.

Yes,totally agree, it's wayyy more rough water than the typical triathlon OWS. Still, it's even more impressive that even getting buffeted around by waves like that, they maintain such a high stroke rate. For someone like me who can only do the most wimpiest of wave-OWS, when those decent-sized rollers start hitting, the first thing that goes for me is my stroke rate. These guys/gals keep it going the entire way, really impressive.

It's also stuff like this that makes me question the value of 'perfect' stroke training in a pool. I'm not saying anyone should try and train badly, but for sure, your perfect pool stroke with no extra body motion, mouth barely cracking the edge of the water on the breath to minimize head motion, etc., are all out the window once the chop hits. Whereas turnover becomes ever more important.
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 2, 20 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: This is why my views on open water swimming are so different .. [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Yep and that is why it is such good training for triathlon swimming.During "In and Out" sets,the motivation not to drown has seen me get my heart rate much higher and taken hypoxic training to a level I could never do in the pool.Once you are out the back you can catch your breath and look for a wave to ride back to shore (rinse and repeat).It is certainly dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and lifeguards have told me for years that they really don't like guys like me going out and training on big days solo because the regular tourist punters on the beach don't realize that just because people like me can deal with it doesn't mean they can.
These days I use medium size hand paddles out there because I am not as fit as I used to be and it makes it a lot easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those women are beautiful.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Or Piha '96

Those guys are insanely skilled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:

To me that is OWS. Growing up in California my OWS was in the ocean. Waves in and out.
Deal with the conditions of the day.
Quote Reply