Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A well executed 400IM is more painful than a 70.3 and lasts 4 & change

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's it. I have NO idea what I can do in a meet right now, but I'm guessing it ain't gonna be pretty.

I'll consider sticking my neck out as far as a 100. A 200 free (let alone fly) will be me dying a horrible death, they're painful enough when you're in shape, let alone trying to come back after 3 or 4 years out of any sort of regular training regimen, and 20 years after doing my last structured pool workout.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://mymsc.ca/ShowMeet.jsp?id=388

Here is last years results. Nothing mind blowing. Its not like BC, AB, ON or QC meets which are usually fast by masters standards. I have a team mate who lives in Hali who has swam a bit with Dal masters he has a few provincial records... ie 25.2 50 fly 3034. The record list seems soft in the harder events. Are you 3539 or 4044? 4044 200 fly is 2:47. I'm sure you could suffer a 2:35 out?
http://www.swimnovascotia.com/records

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the 40-44 now. I did have a look at the records, there are a few on there that are doable, it seems like Masters swimming out here is pretty low-key. The 400 free and the 1500 seem especially soft, as well as the backstroke records, but I don't have any endurance at the moment and I don't have good backstroke feel yet. I was never all that good at back anyway (1:01 scm was my pb - in-season, never swam it peaked). My disadvantage is that I'm not a drop dead sprinter, so I actually NEED fitness to swim decently.

The meet is at the Canada Games Centre, which is where I'm swimming now. It's a really nice facility, but the water temp isn't exactly conducive to distance swimming. It's like a bath in there.

I might try a 100m fly TT next week at what feels like a 200 pace, just to see what that feels like. It could get ugly, it's just a matter of whether I want to suffer or not.

I'm thinking about doing 100fr 200fr, maybe 400fr, maybe 100fly, and possibly an IM event.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun, they don't turn it down for a meet (water temp)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna try to find out if they'll adjust the pool temp. probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

This is all really a last minute idea, inspired by monty's meet, so I'm still thinking this through. I just looked at the order of events at http://www.swimnovascotia.com/...20Meet%20Package.pdf Based on prior years, there won't be a lot of entries, which means there won't be a lot of rest between events. They MIGHT be running the event a little more relaxed pace than a typical AG meet (I hope so), but even so I have a feeling that I'll need as much rest as I can get, so I'll have to choose between the 200 and 400 free. It should be an easy decision, except that 4:51 record seems awfully doable. Also, I don't think I can handle the 100 fly, 100 IM and 100 free given that there will be about 6 minutes rest between events. I might do 200IM in the "choice" event instead of the 100IM (ouch!!).

I'll also have to find out how long the meet will likely run. I'm having engagement photos taken that evening. If there are a lot of entries in the 800/1500 (probably from those effin' tri-geeks), then I'll have to skip the 100's.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 sw
200 k
100 easy
4x50@55 off order IM
400 pull w/paddles
100 kick
100 easy

2 x
5x100@ 2:00 max effort, 1 easy.
Av 1:04

200 kick
100 easy
25 sprint, 75 easy
100 strong 1:03
100 easy

3100 SCM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two very low key swims after IM Melb, and Saturday was my first swim since then. Also - this was my first April swim in years...!

500/400/400/300/200/100/100, all pretty easy.

I felt sluggish, but it was nice to be in the water again. I am not allowed to swim or bike for a few weeks, so I am hoping to get the swimming started in preparation for a better result next year. I am 7 months ahead of last year, so no excuses.. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
800 w/u (200s, 100k, 100p)x2
5x(4x50fr)@1:00 100 easy betwwen sets of 4 held :34s
Easy 200
Finished up with 2 hard 50's - not quite sprint pace, but 2 mins rest between efforts. Went 30.xx on each one.

Total including miscellaneous easy laps, approx 2200 scm.
Edit... Pool was too busy to swim any fly withough decapitating someone.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 15, 12 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO left the slowtwitch ladies camp at O dark thirty this morning after getting their coffee and breakfast ready, and got ready for my big day. Schedule had me doing 4 events in a couple hours, but good since i needed to get back to fix their lunch and say good bye..

1st up was 400IM, and it was about as good as my fitness could hope for. Out in 1;11+ for fly, 1;22+ for back, 1;26+ for breast, and came home in 35/33 for a 1;08 flat. Basically 2 seconds a 100 slow from last year, but at least consistant, and i beat the speedy guy in the AG that crushed me yesterday. I mean this guy goes 25.6/58 for 50/100 fly, and a 28/1;06 50/100 back, so on paper should be 6 or so seconds ahead at the 200. But the sporting god in his wisdom had seen fit to give the present of speed to some, but also makes them really hurt after 4 laps. He had done a 5;08 this year, so looked to be a great race, but alas he succomed to the pain and went 5;16. I was a 5;08 for my 1st gold..

Next up was the 200 fly, and my main comp scratched, so i figured i could take it easy and save for the 200IM. Did the 150 on pace, then crusied in for a 2;35. Probably had a 2;28 in me, but thinking long term, 2nd gold..

Decided to dig my watch out and see what time it was, and shit, they were 2 hours behind schedule and i had to book out and miss my last 2 events. A fitting end of my pool racing season, as it was not the best of times training this year..I did make it home to get in my dozen hugs though before all the womens left the ranch, good times..

400IM--5;08+
200fly- 2;35
4500SCY
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/...R=1&feature=fvwp

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. That's almost as good as the Terry Fox story for inspiration. Us south of the border types need to remember you Canucks are the real deal:)

For my fellow Yanks- US Swimming did a video to Van Halen's "Right here, right now" with footage from I think the 1996 Trials for Atlanta that I remember being the most awesome thing we would should campers the summer I worked at Stanford (1998) while in grad school. If that didn't get you stoked about swimming, I don't know what would. Has anyone seen it on the net? I tried a Youtube search but I'm not very facile with Youtube and didn't find it.(doesn't mean it's not there)

Anyway on topic- 4/15 2700 SCY, pool had to have been in the low to mid 80s, yuck
200 w/u
3 X 400 :20 7:07, 7:10, 7:14
4 X 300 :15 5:23, 5:28, 5:31, 5:32
100 c/d

Decided my new T-pace is 1:47 for SCY and 2:00 for LCM from 1:55 and 2:07 when I started swimming again a month ago. Still stupid slow but the very best 100 yds free I every swam off the blocks was 1:18 so I always kind of sucked as an adult onset swimmer. Considering I have 15 months until my next Ironman I should be able to get to swimming in the the 1:10 range for the event though. My interim goal is to not totally embarrass myself at the North Shore Challenge this year. Depending on work schedule may swim Roughwater too.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 swim
200 kick
200 fist/fr
4x75 fl/bk/br
4x75 fr

20x50 cruise@:50 (av :40)
10x50 strong@1:00 (av :37-:38)
10x50 hard@1:10 (av :35)

150 kick
150 bk/br/fr

3500scy
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of short sprinty stuff that is nominally for a couple masters folks doing nationals.

WU: 300, 300 (50 pull, 25 kick)
Main:
4x {75@1:30, 4x25 @:25}
2x { 3x50 desc@1:30, 25 "float", 3x50 desc off blocks, 25 "float", 200 ez }
2400 scy

I feel like I must have forgotten something because the yardage is so low, but I guess
we spent a lot of time resting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice meet Monty. Way to come back the next day and dig out a couple of golds. Also, that must of been a nice feeling when you realized you nipped sweet_wtr by 0.3 in the 200br. =)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today... starts my taper! Well, after doing my last session of weight training.

45 minutes weights.

500 warmup
100 kick
30x50@1:00 (some slow, drill, kick, swim -- all four stokes)
basically I did a 50 however I felt like for 30 straight. Mostly it was working on stroke. Getting myself ready to go fast with the least amount of effort.
However, I never actually went fast today. Fastest free: :34. Fastest back :36. Fastest breast :37. Fly was all drill.
300 warm down

2400 scm

I've not been posting all my swim workouts here lately, but I will try to keep up these last two weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [OptimalAdrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OptimalAdrian wrote:
300 easy warm up
4x50 drill
10x200 on 3:00 descend each group of 5 (2:28-2:27-2:27-2:26-2:25// 2:29-2:28-2:26-2:24-2:22)
8x50 drill/warm down
100 easy technique

3000 scm

then home for the 'Galena' workout from trainer road (3x20min sweet spot).

Wednesdays are rough especially in the build phase.

I liked that set so much I did it today (well almost, I did groups of 4, not 5. But it was SCM on 3:00). Question for you: did you feel warmed up after only 500? I did a 1000 w/up and did not feel good on the first 200. Also, do you identify with this "feeling" I wanted to get in 3000, I had less than 50 minutes to do it, so after the 1000 warmup I stretched for 90 seconds and was off. I wonder if I should forgo say 200 and spend more time stretching and preparing for the set.

I did: 2:29 / 2:28 / 2:26 / 2:26 // 2:28 / 2:27 / 2:26 / 2:25

Thanks for posting your results, I was by myself and it gave me something to shoot for.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
300 easy and 4x50 drill are my standard loosen up.. but I wouldn't say I'm fully warmed up. It does take a rep or two for me to get fully going, so sometimes I will do some 25m sprints to get the blood really flowing if I'm doing a test set or something like that. Otherwise, I usually can't get fully warmed up for a triathlon, so it's race-like training. Or at least that's the rationale I use to save time and do the shorter warm ups.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO ---- I woke up at 3am with chest pains. That kinda freaked me out for a couple of minutes, but then I went through a checklist and figured out that I was NOT having a heart attack, probably just a bit of tenderness in my pecs. No shortness of breath, no sweating, no radiating pain down my arm. I decided to keep an eye on it, see if it got any worse or any new symptoms came up. If they did, I would have gotten Mrs. JIH to get me to the emergency ASAP. Thankfully, nothing new came up, so I went back to sleep at about 5:30 for 2 hrs rest before I had to go to work.

With that in mind, and the fact that I had cake for dinner (cake tasting for my wedding and my daughters' birthday), this evening's workout was:

800 w/up (200 fr, 100k, 100 p, 200 IM w/ 2 full, 4 right, 4 left fly, 100k, 100p)
ladder set
4 x 50 desc 1-4 @ 1:00
3 x 75 desc 1-3 @ 1:30
2x100 desc 1-2 @2:00. last 100 was a 1:10

then the pool was closing, so 50 warmdown.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't check ST for a few days and I find this chatter on our thread...

// SO for now i own swt-wtr in the 200 breast(.3sec) and we will not talk about the rest.//

Own?! (pink) Great job on the meet Monty, even if you did take me in the 200 Brst ;)

I have to say that SH said it best using the word nipped... (not pink, )

"Also, that must of been a nice feeling when you realized you nipped sweet_wtr by 0.3 in the 200br. =) "

Stayed out of the pool to rest the shoulder. Wish I read this thread earlier... would have gone to the pool to prevent future 'nipping' from fellow fish ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tigerchik... do the meet!

My husband just came back from a Tri Club meeting where there was discussion of non-swimmers entering a swim meet. The gist of the discussion was: swimmers are nice, all they talk about is where to eat after the meet. cyclists not so much.

Just reading your other post, I hope you are feeling better. Take it easy and listen to your body. Hope it's just muscle related but maybe it's worth a Dr. visit to confirm/rule out anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure its just a pec. I have a massive knot in the muscle where it joins into my upper arm. Time to recruit my personal massage therapist to tend to me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, get set up with that therapist and sign up for the meet too! Didn't mean to imply you weren't a swimmer with that story... just stating that the only pressure at that meet will be coming from you. Keep the pec's loose and go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, get set up with that therapist..

Not a problem, she's just in the other room. She almost killed me when I told her that I had chest pain but didn't want to wake her up, because it was probably nothing...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed out of the pool to rest the shoulder. Wish I read this thread earlier... would have gone to the pool to prevent future 'nipping' from fellow fish ;-)

I was kind of wondering where you have been lately, figured you were deep into your final secret training for nationals. And just for the record, i'm one of those guys that no matter how bad a workout or race goes, i will try and focus on whatever tiny tidbit that might have been positive, and if nothing, i will make it up. I really had to dig to find that one event and those few tenths of a second, to find my silver lining in this meet. I suppose i only have 2 more weeks to own it, (and you (-;) so let an old man have his day..

Have a great meet by the way, hope the shoulder thing doesn't get in the way of a good taper. I swam with Cynthia this week, and she is not going to nats this year. She broke the national record in the 200 breast a couple weeks ago, 2;17, and broke the 100 yesterday, 1;03+. She actually decided to try and make olympic trial cuts just for giggles since she is so close now. And on our team we have the oldest male to ever make olympic trial cuts, 40 year old guy with a full time job and family. And he is actually a real masters swimmer, 3 times a week, 3k to 4k per workout. On that training he has gone a 55+ and 2;01 for the 100/200 breast, pretty cool..

Quote Reply

Prev Next