Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [dfresh285] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From another wannabe fish, keep up the good work. My SO is a newbie in the pool and she's on some 12-week program to build up her yardage.

So today was the first day back in the pool after a week off (eye injection, couldn't hit the water). Running late so had under 30 minutes.
W/U: 200 mod, 3x100 (50 build, 50 dps)
Main: 100 easy, 3x50 1:35pace, 100 easy, 3x50 1:30 pace, 100 easy, 50 flat out
C/D: 150 ((bk/br)*2, bk/fr)
Total: 1150scy

Okay, it was short, but since the swim clinic I did two weeks ago my DPS has really improved and my times have come down by a few seconds.
I may not be at ST fish level yet, but I'm working on it. I'm now able to do 16 strokes per 25 yards (at 1:35 pace) and got my fastest 100 yds down to 1:16... not that I can kep that up, but progress is progress. Flip turns are next: I can do them, but they're terrible.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't feeling all that great today, not really motivated once I got in the pool, so only 2300m today

warm up 2x(200s, 100k, 100p)
2x(4x50 - IM order (one arm fly)
5x(4x50 free, descending on 1:00 - started at :38, finished on 35-36 for each one) 50k 50p between sets of 4

100 w/down

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did think it was funny when the guy sharing my lane forgot to tie his trunks. 'Twas a full moon this evening.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the talk of SCY and M pools, I have to share that no such problem exists where I get to swim, as 50M public pools abound literally everywhere, with entry fees just over US$2.

Of over 40 public pools here, probably 35 are 50m pools, with many areas/districts having one for regular swimming of laps, and another shallower version for taking it easy, but both 8 to 10 lane wide 50M pools.

The official swimming season (April to Nov) just kicked off again so all the non-heated outdoor pools have just re-opened, and for the first month or so, depending on rain, overcast and cloudy days, they can stay cool into May, so if you go swimming, you can literally have the pool to yourself.

I hadn't swam for over a year but took the plunge yesterday with the goal of swimming 2K, optimistically planning to do 400, 4x 100, 300, 4 x 75, 200, 4 x 50, 100, 4 x 25.

Hehehe..., I knocked that idea on the head when I completed my first 100, and deceided instead do 20 x 100 as I had no endurance/fitness whatsoever.

#1 - 8 were in prep for it being too cold (I know, HTFU), a DeSoto T1 Black Pearl L/S top with board shorts covering a pair of Finis strap on pull buoy floats, to balance out the extra upper body floatation. No pool toys allowed so the board shorts were used to cover the foam pull buoy's strapped to each upper leg.

I used the tempo trainer as well, determined to get a quicker turnover back into my stroke, so I played around with 1:00 (too fast at this stage), up to 1:15, (counted by entering the water with each hand on the beep). 1:05 worked well, but having read Monty's and other's posts, Gerry Rodriguez's online info, etc., about a quicker turnover for open water compared to pool swimming, I threw in a couple of :85's too. Geez! That's fast!! Almost windmilling to achieve it, with a grab-grab-grab stroke.

So after feeling restricted and wanting to shed all the rubber, I peeled everything off and returned to the water in just my drag suit, (not a baggy one, but two layers of mesh, with the third being the lining, similar to the finis drag suit, but made locally and much cheaper (better value, long lasting).

I then did #9 - 16, still playing with the tempo, and all the time working on a high elbow catch (evf), that I am determined to nail and maintain this year, having felt it over the years, but due to lack of swim training, have never been able to achieve and hold onto as my one swimming stroke, through lack of practice, the aforementioned lack of endurance, and lack of strength to just hold the elbow up, always having it drop under effort as distance or intensity increased.

I finished with #17 - 20 on a recuperative 1:20 tempo, but also as a reminder that yes, at that turnover I was slowing slightly between arm strokes, something I want to rid my freestyle of, no matter how relaxing and/or semi-efficient it has been for me in the past on very little swim training. I then alternated with a 1:05, a 1;15, and a :85, for a total of 2K.

Splits were #1 - 8 approx avg. of 1.34 per 100. #9 - 16 were approx 1.26.

Because of my lack of swim fitness, I went on 2.30. so approx 55 - 64 secs rest, the only way I could maintain my stroke focus of a high elbow, reaching over the barrel, evf, etc.

I also did some single arm front 1/4 pulls (just the initiation of the catch) on some stretch cords I bought at a swim clinic/camp 17 years ago, and have used sporadically in the interim...

Using the cords at the beginning before swimming, and at the end when tired..., I highly recommend them to see, feel, and practice the specific movement that I want to take in the water, on every stroke. They're a great tool to have in your swimming arsenal of weapons, highly recommended.

Another great tool (resource) is Sheila Taormina's new book coming out in May, from Velo Press.
http://www.amazon.com/...aormina/e/B007FLLN4E

Swimming Speed Secrets cut's to the chase of what is missing in most masters, age-group, and triathletes freestyle strokes, the catch, as Sheila puts it.

I missed out on attending her clinic when she came through town at the end of last year, but I did manage to pick up a copy of her now out of print book, "Call the Suit" from the organizers of the clinic.

In a nutshell Sheila says yes, work on body position, balance, etc., initially, if you don't have those in place, but that should only take a couple visits to the pool (debatable from what I have seen of fellow swimmers lack of body awareness, coordination etc.), but then if you want to get faster and are putting the training time in to achieve that, then you've got to work on nailing the catch, not further drag reduction or streamlining or whatever you want to call it.

And as she points out simply, amusingly, and in an easy to read format, that catch is something that hasn't changed fundamentally, since Johnny "Tarzan" Weismuller described it in his 1930's book.

Buy her book is my recommendation!

So a question for the 1.20 - 1.22:30 per 100m crowd, you guys and girls who can hold that pace for 500m up to and beyond 3.8km, in the open water?

Yes, just swimming more will give me a return on my swim fitness, but how to best approach nailing and maintaining the catch at all speeds and distances?

My awareness is good, my natural swimming ability is there too I feel as it's one of those things i can just do, where as running i have to work much harder at to get comparable results. So how to capitalize on this affinity for the water and with appropriate training, achieve what i feel and believe is possible, 1.20 pace across the board in all distances up to 5K?

Some back ground, on 20 x 100 one to two times a week similar to above, over a max of 7 - 8 weeks, I have always swam sub 1.40 per 100 for open water swims and tri swims from 1K upto 4K, although better and accomplished swimmers have often said I should be swimming faster with appropriate training.

So you 1.20 to 122:30 pace folk, what are your suggestions, thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [feedtherat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 swim
4x50 kick
3x 50 fist/swim, 25 right arm/25 left arm
4x75 fl/bk/br
4x75 fr

10x100@2:00 (avg ~1:20)
10x50@1:00 (avg ~:37)

100 kick
200 mix

3000scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 3200lcm last night, including a 1500 at (tri) race pace. 500s were just about 8:00/8:10/8:10, so 24:20. Could have kept the 8:00 pace going, but slacked a bit mentally when coming up behind people in a crowded lane. Felt strong the rest of the workout after that too, so that was good. First race of the year coming up this weekend, and spent a lot of time in the pool this winter. If I can get out of the water in 24 flat I'll be very happy, but we'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [feedtherat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, just swimming more will give me a return on my swim fitness, but how to best approach nailing and maintaining the catch at all speeds and distances///

You seem to be very aware of all the things you need to do, so like with every change in swimming, you have to do it so often that it becomes hardwired into your brain. You sound like an ex swimmer, so you know that what often feels right is not so. If you can get a bit of video on all the things you are working on, then you will be assured in your mind that it is right, and then just a matter of that pesky programming that takes so long. But good news is that you can program yourself to swim properly for all the distances in a short amount of time and yardage as a former fish, then it is as you say, just swimming more while continuing to add to that programming. Perhaps more pressure on yourself to perform some faster workout times if you cannot get with any swim squads. This is a great thread for that, as most of us swim alone here, or with dorks, so we use each other and our posted workouts to kind of compete and measure against one another.

And don't neglect your speed, work on that 100 time too. There really is a trickle down benefit to swimming really fast and short. As triathletes we know how to go long and build endurance, but once race day comes, we try and do something that we are not prepared for, and then wonder if we have done enough endurance training. I knew pros in the old days that literally trained 10 to 12 hours a week in all 3 sports, that is it. But all of it was explosive/speed work, and it worked for them. This is not a recommendation, as everyone responds differently to various stimuli, it is just to illustrate that speed is required in any program.

Let us know how it goes, and welcome back to the wetness..
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sun - 8.5 mi run
Mon - 8.5 mi run
Tues - 11 mi run, 1100 yd swim easy

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Sun - 8.5 mi run

Mon - 8.5 mi run
Tues - 11 mi run, 1100 yd swim easy

It's almost like you knew I hurt my knee and haven't been able to run for the last 1.5 weeks ;) I think right now I'm more jealous of this than all the fishes swim times crushing me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. At least you can do SOMETHING. I strained a lower ab muscle two months ago and have aggravated it every time I try to do anything...getting close to trying again. I think I've put on 5 lbs now in addition and I'm eating much less than normal.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those ab muscles get used so much. Without running and biking, I have been doing more core, push ups, pull ups, etc... Didn't realize how sore my abs were from all this until i went for a swim...(!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The antibiotics I've been given aren't working, so I'm off to ER. Doctor is concerned my blood is going septic. Hopefully back soon!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that is harsh steve, but good to go get immediate treatment, as that shit can get really bad if unchecked. You will probably get the new super anitbiotic that they keep under lock and key, might even kill off so of those old cells and make you young again!!

Good luck there, I'll swim a couple for you while your out..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.talismancentre.com/...d=118&Itemid=291

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hated that feeling of going back to classes today after spring break, luckily I had a good swim and ride to lighten the mood. 6k in the pool and 38k on the bike

Main Set:
400, 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50 on 1:05 base
100 easy
100 all out (:52)
100 easy

Stanford University Cardinal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess putting your shoes on is included in the 2k time? Five or six guys under 6:25 for 2K +shoes after a fast 400m swim. That is an intense race.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, 2 Stage format... they didn't want us tracking water onto the indoor track and having wipeouts... we still had guys going down in the first 100 metres... the kid who was 2nd is the brother to last years jr national & jr pan am champion. Most of the top guys there are jr elite or u23. I did beat kyle but he rode 170 km the day before...

Last edited by: realAlbertan: Apr 10, 12 20:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterdays main set was
3x300 on a 1:35 base
100 easy
3x200
100 easy
3x100

total 3k lcm

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bo, what is up with the guys splits just in front of you, if you add them up, you beat him by a lot. Split wrong or place wrong??

Nice job there too, some pretty fast runners that can also swim pretty good, not easy to podium for sure..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure... Pennocks sister is jr pan am champ. Ill look at that list again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry you're hurt :-(

8.2 mi run
1100 yd swim

lots of running because of lots of school stress

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
The antibiotics I've been given aren't working, so I'm off to ER. Doctor is concerned my blood is going septic. Hopefully back soon!

Good luck, and get well soon.

4/11 (as best I can remember, and no, I don't make up these workouts):

1000 w/u
1x175 on 2:40
2x150 on 2:15
3x125 on 1:55
100 on 2:00
3x100 on 1:30
2x125 on 1:55
1x150 on 2:15
100 on 2:00
1x125 on 1:55
2x100 on 1:30
3x75 on 1:10
100 easy

3400scy

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WU: 300 mixed strokes, 200 kick, 10x50 pull, 200 kwf
Main: 500 w/ fins
2x {2x50 3 fast strokes per25, 2x50 5 fast..., 2x50 7 fast}
2x {25 all out, 50 ez, 50 all out, 2x50 ez, 75 all out, 3x50 ez, 100 all out, 4x50 ez}
3800 scy
Nasty calf cramping toward the end; I'll blame the fins...
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taper mode here... mentally happy about that and my aches and pains seem to be happy too.

sorry for everyone having troubles... sending good healing vibes out there as i type.

4 x 100 @ 1:45 (All under 1:20.. no shoulder pain means nice times to start out with! Advil & Ice are my new BFs)
4 x 50 Kick @ 1:30
4 x 50 IMO Drill @ 1:15 (50 each stroke)
4 x 50 Over/Under @ 1:30
(2 x Thru)
3 x 50 IMO @ 1:05
Fly/Bk, Bk/Br, Br/Fr
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got some serious troubles here on the fish thread...

sweet_wtr and realAlbertan from feet to teeth seem to be just rounding the bend on their issues.
mattbk, and duffman are all dealing with debilitating injuries.
monty... said he was tired or sick, but hinted at other unnamed problems.
halfspeed may need to be quarantined (thanks for the decision on no pics halfspeed!)
tigerchik looks like she may need some kind of overrunners anonymous intervention.
jbank is cramping (well, it might be the fins)
TheWaterIsOpen must, against all odds, head back to school and...
feedtherat is obviously smoking crack cocaine just before writing his posts. =)

Here's to all your health and best of luck to my fellow fishes!
I hope I didn't forget anyone in need!
Quote Reply

Prev Next