Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So snuck off to the pool today, only had 45 minutes. Thought i would be trashed after yesterdays workout, but apparently the 3 hard week and 4 days off has bumped down my intervals about 5 seconds, about time..

10x100swim@1;30- 1;20 to 1;12
10x100pull@1;20- 1;12 to 1;07
4x200, odds broken IM, evens pull- IM's-2;31(35/41/43/33)--2;23(33/39/39/32) pulls, 2;24/2;20
50SD
2850SCY
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was out with Achilles tendinitis last spring and did a bunch of kick sets. I'm with you on the aquajogging, f*** that. I would swim masters a.m. and then go back for a bit more swimming and a bunch of kick sets in the evenings. After about 7-8 week run layoff, I went ahead and ran a big 10k I had signed up for before the injury. Prob cost myself a couple of weeks rehab but still ran a PB for me at the time. However for longer races I think the lack of base is a bigger difference.

Speaking of injuries I've been fighting a pulled ab for a while. Been cycling the last two weeks a bunch, and starting to get back to swimming. Today was the first workout of any significance, though still pretty short. Lots of rest trying not to overdue it but still some intensity.

wu: 200 sw, 100 k, 200 p, 100 k

main: 4 x 100 on 1:40 avg 1:13, 50 ez k, 4 x 75 on 1:20 avg 0:55, 50 ez k, 4 x 50 on 0:55 avg 0:37, 50 ez k, 4 x 25 on 0:25 avg 0:18

1800 scy

Jumping on the trainer for some pain...

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second to last swim before provincials this weekend. I kept it completely unstructured (some swim at various paces, some kick, some pull)

Finished up with a few fast 50's and 25's from a push with a ton of active rest between each. Did the last 50 free at 29.xx (flubbed the turn a bit, need to work on those) and a 15.xx for my 25 fly. I'm finally starting to feel a little confident going into this weekend. Haven't really done any starts, I should do a few tomorrow morning.

total: 1 hr scm.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2500 SCM

200 sw
200 k
8 x 25@25 free tempo/activation set
100 easy
200 fly 'kick (on back)
8x25@ 30 fly tempo
100 easy
8 x 25@25 fly tempo
100 easy
3 x 200 pull/paddles @2:40 Dec end 1-3 (2:23, 2:18, 2:14)
300 mix easy

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched a little live streaming of nationals this morning and saw my friend get 2nd in her AG! Pretty cool (although everyone shows up as like 2 pixels).

WU: 400, 400 (50 drill/50 kick), 200 kwf
Main: 10x50 odds fr/evens bk
3x { 2x100 @1:20, 6x50 @:50, 200 fast @3:45 }, pulled last time through
CD: 200 kwf
3800 scy
200's were 2:18,2:18,2:15 (pull)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow I posted this (below) to the 2011 April fish thread, whoops! Thought it was weird b/c Monty was getting ready for a big meet all of a sudden and Halfspeed was cranking out serious yardage and got the flu... I was very concerned and confused!

April 2012
usms spring nationals report:

met SH during the meet today. very cool to connect and even cooler how he did today. he can report on that :)

best times for two events so far.
100 fly i squeeked out a 1:02.95 (28.92 / 34.03)
2nd in my age group. not technically the best race but the piano didn't fall!

50 Brst i managed a 31.00. frustated i didn't hit a 30.99 but hey... still happy.
2nd in my age group. the girl who got first was smokin' and almost went a a 29!

200 free relay split was 24.98.

a good day for me.

questions... we are using blocks that display a green light at the edge for the start/beep. has anyone used that before? better to look for the light vs. sound?

sore shoulder... fight thru a proper warm up with some sprinting? fight thru cool down or hot shower time? hmmm

Today's menu:
100 IM & 100 Brst and a couple relays :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in trying to stick with 2012...

Masters Nationals Day 1 report...

First things first, I met our fellow fish poster sweet_wtr at the meet. She was very nice, and came over to meet me up in the stands. Contrary to what I wrote (which should have been in pink because I was joking), there was no way I would have figured out who she was by her profile pics. She swam both the 100 fly and the 50 breast and did great. The triathlon training must be paying off because on the 100 fly she went by girl #2 on the last 50 and was tracking down girl #1 at the finish.

I swam the 50 breast stroke and won my age group! I went 27.69. That, as it turns out, is a what mathematicians call a "local minimum". My previous, post-college, best was 28.51 at the zone meet last month. I texted my wife that she is now married to the 2012 US Master's men's 45-49 50 yard breast stroke National Champion. <end pink -- oops, no, I guess I really did text that!> Anyway, I'm glad I took advantage of that opportunity; there will be tougher competition in my remaining events.

Today is 100im and 100br.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! I've got 3.5 hrs to go before my first event at provincials. An entire 5 weeks of swimming under my belt. And first up, 200IM. At least the hard ones are out of the way early.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go your guys, national champ is a pretty sweet ride! Solid time, looks like you may be sub minute in the 100 if all cylinders are firing. And sounds like Sweet should have entered the 200fly, motoring up the field. Keep us up to date, sure wish i was with you guys..
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked day one results and now i'm totally bumming. Looks like i could have raced for 2nd in both the 1000 and 400IM. Sprints seem to be faster in my AG this year, but distance guys have flown the coop!! And Steve, if you could have been healthy, you could have fought for the win in the 1000!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200 swim
100 kick
200 25 fist/25 strong

20x100@1:45 (held 1:22-1:23 for 1-15, descend 16-20 1:22-1:19)
10x100@2:00 as 50 kick/50 swim

500 various kicking and swimming

4000scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang! Oh well. I haven't done any training since the 5th. I went for my first bike ride today - 10.8 miles at a whopping 15.5 mph and breathing hard the whole way! I'm not ready for the pool just yet. One more chunk of scab to fall off and let the skin underneath start normalizing - I'm thinking Tuesday. I won't do OC Tri, but I'm eying that 2.5 mile swim they're also holding. If my training goes well, I just might hit that up.

Where can I see results?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap only 11:32 for M55-59 1000? Yeah, I'd would have given that a run. The 500 free looked quite a bit tougher - sub 5:00.
Just got a call from my sister. She placed 2nd at the Du nationals W55-59.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some decent swims... makes me wonder how fast I can go at this point if I put a bigger focus on swimming. It looks like I could podium at it is now in most of my events. I hope to win 6/6 at MSC Nationals

Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, you would have had a great shot at a national title there steve, me, i would have been battling for 2nd, 3rd if you were there. And it looks like we have more big news from sweet coming, so that makes two national champions here from our fishes thread in this meet. With our canadian friends, we have quite a collection here in championship meets. Every race i check out i get more depressed that i'm not there swimming shaved and tapered. I had a shot for the 1st time in 30 years to get top 10 in the 100IM, and would certainly have been top 8 in the 200 back. An event i just started swimming last year. But on the other hand, i would have been shut out of the top 10 in the 100 fly, took a 1;00+ this year, not my 1;03 that got me 8th last year..

Keep the gold medals coming fishes!!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost forgot, the 40 year old guy on my team i told you all about, just broke the national record in the 50 and 100 breast. He went 55.79 in the 100 and 25+ in the 50. He is the oldest ever male to qualify for olympic swimming trials, and with these swims looks to be on great form to represent the old masters dudes. Like i said, he is a real master swimmer, wife, family, full time job, and 3 workouts a week of 3 to 4k...

Have to imagine that with this meet hanging over his head though, he has stepped it up a bit..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweets here reprting with day 2 of USMS Spring Nationals results:

SH and I are gold medal buddies! 100 IM was a battle for 1st the whole race. I managed to put my long arms to good use and touch with my best time of 1:01.94.

100 brst was another battle of its own... tried my best to be punk rock, even got my best time of 1:07.41 but got second. I almost squeeked out another gold medal but touched .01 too late for a tie or .02 for a solo victory. My competition was going for the 50 record again but didn't get it. Needless to say her 100 time wasn't her normal time... would have been crazy if I won!

Relays were grand as always.

Thanks for the ST support SH!

Glad to hear friends and family of STers are rockin' the lanes too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4/29:

500 w/u

500/400/300/200/100 on 1:20 per 100, with 4x50 on 1:00 between each. Point for making an interval, and an extra point for each :10 under.

5:58 (5pts)
4:48 (4pts)
3:27 (4pts)
2:19 (3pts)
1:06 (2pts)

18 points total (shooting for 17, but that 300 looked doable).

2900scy

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the pool just a couple hours ago and it was a kid madhouse. They keep several lanes for lap swimming, but virtually impossible to keep kids from swimming across. I just give them the angry old man look and they steer clear of me;

5x(200/150/100/50/200IM kick, 3 swim@1;30 base, 2 pull@1;25 base)
2;41/1;58/1;17/37/3;35
2;33/1;53/1;14/35/3;34
2;31/1;51/1;12/34/3;30
2;27/1;49/1;09/32/3;28
2;32/1;50/1;10/32/3;29(overheated in hot pool and backed off)
100SD
3600SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meet report - Nova Scotia Masters Provincials in Halifax.

I had a good meet this weekend, considering I'm still fat and slow. I wasn't expecting much after training for only 5 weeks or so. At least I have a benchmark to improve upon for next season.

Nova Scotia provincials was a really low key event. I was sitting in the stands with my lovely fiancee for the afternoon, hanging out with a small team from Cape Breton (a group of islands on the northern end of NS). Highlights of the meet for me were the pair of septogenerians who also happened to be the sole entrants in the 400IM, and a youngish lady with cerebral palsy who entered the 200free, 400 free and 800 free. It was inspiring to see them.

As for how I did, it was about in line with what I expected, if not what I had hoped for. I made WAG's for all my seed times, considering that I hadn't swum in a meet since 1993, but at the same time I didn't want to enter as NT, just in case there were multiple heats. First up was the 200IM. I felt surprisingly good in that, and managed to swim a 2:36.69, 4 seconds under my seed time. Out in a 1:10, had a stellar (for me) breastroke leg (48 flat!!) and then died a horrible death in the last 50. My lack of actual fitness really caught up to me, but I still managed to win that one (AG and overall)!! Found out later on that I was about a half second off the NS masters 40-44 record there. Next year!!

Next was the 200 free. This event used to be one of my better ones, so I entered a *slightly* optomistic seed time of 2:10. Well, that one did NOT live up to what I was hoping there. I completely tightened up, seemingly forgot how to swim, and died a really horrible death. First half was slow - 1:07, and the second half was even slower, limping home in 2:21.90. Won my AG, 3rd overall, but NOT what I was hoping for.

About 8 minutes later I was up for the 50 fly. I entered in a seed time of 32.0, but I still felt pretty winded. I was fairly confident that I could beat my entry time, considering that I went out easy in the 200IM and split a 32.6 for the fly leg. 30.10 seconds later, it was done. Won my AG and overall, and found out later that I had tied the NS Masters record for my AG.

After a bit of a break, it was time for the 50 free. This was never a strong event for me, so I decided to just treat it like a warmup for the 100. Had a good start, dolphin kicks off the start were good and I was starting to feel more comfortable off the blocks. hit the turn, pushed off and my feet went sideways, so I had to surface early to get going again. Crap. Finished 5th overall, 1st in AG in 27.81, but I lost at least a second on that missed turn.

Last was the 100 free. Didn't have to save anything for any other events (not that I swam like I was saving anything anyway). I took this one out hard from the gun, and tried to get at least 10m on each turn underwater dolphin kick. Thanks to this strategy, I led through the 50, but then the lack of fitness caught up and the piano fell at the 75m mark. Finished 3rd OA (1st AG) in a 1:01.13.

Pizza was served for all the competitors afterwards, I thanked the volunteers and organizers for putting on a really fun event. Next year I hope to show up to this event in shape!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work sweets and SH!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started at a new swim squad last week with Sue McMaster, one of our local age group IMNZ/Kona superheroines! She's an excellent and motivational coach...two Sundays and I'm seeing technique and small speed improvements already. Wish I'd started with her last year as I'd intended. Cant remember the set details but a lot of single arm drill and sprints this week. Bring on 70.3 Ireland!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work... those pianos get quite heavy in the closing metres don't they! I've carried a baby grand or two in my swimming travels. 4000 SCM

300 sw
6x 100 @ 1:40 kick/fins 1 free, 2 fly
8x 25@25 Fly/fins
600 pull/paddles build by 200 (7:05)
100 easy

Main set 15 x 100 @ 1:25 holding 1:10
200 easy
500 alt swim/kick with fins

Last edited by: realAlbertan: Apr 29, 12 22:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great starting point for you! looks like you'll really crush your age group and grab some records with just a bit more training!

usms day 3 meet report:

i think i should change my middle name to second. three seconds (one relay and two individuals) on the final day.

happy to start the day off with my fastest 50 free relay split. low

50 fly was another nail biter. my competition was fierce, gorgeous and fierce! tight heat .04 behind first place. final time 27.34. personal best. no regrets though i lost a smidge of focus when i
dove in... didn't have my hand on top of hand at water entry off
dive, streamline yes. bugger.

100 free brought out the gorgeous fierce ladies again. seriously these women are smokin' in every way! i finally got punk rock and took nearly a second off my best tme taking second with a 53.85.

once again SH was there after every swim in good spirit. thanks! very cool to have met you and great job this weekend!

highlights: watching three people go 19s in the 50 free, watching
the senior age groupers swim their hearts out, having my family
there, meeting SH and putting up best tmes all around with a handful of 2nds and one national title! oh yeah, the daily massages
weren't bad either! shoulder held up well due to advil & massage!

now for some time off! i can't believe i said that on ST!

(edit nail bitter to nail biter... Hmm maybe I'm bitter without even knowing it! Haha)
Last edited by: sweet_wtr: Apr 30, 12 5:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next