Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike
Quote | Reply
Allan Hovda and Lars Vold has some crazy fast descending at Norseman yesterday.
If you go to this video you will understand what I mean.
Video time 4.55.17
https://www.youtube.com/...jb7HfK2e4E&t=18s
Last edited by: Halvard: Aug 5, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Video time 4.55.17

I’m at 4:55 - 5:00 I don’t see what you mean
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Video time 4.55.17

I’m at 4:55 - 5:00 I don’t see what you mean

4H 55m 17s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four HOURS 55 minutes.

I’m not sure that the surfing the top tube position is all that much faster on a properly fitted TT bike, and it’s waaaay sketchier handling wise.

That part looks like fun!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AI is he sitting a different way or something?

I watched for 10 mins and didn’t see anything different

What time is the special position at?
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan and Lars are the fastest going downhill.
If you look at the splits, those two are gaining a lot on the downhills.
Just look at Top Imingfjell - Austbygde.
http://events.racetracker.no/2018/nxtri/results/#1_C5A46C
You get the splits by clicking on the athlete.

Another downhill is at 4.05.00 and 4.30.00
Last edited by: Halvard: Aug 5, 18 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At whistler Chris hauth was doing this right in front of me on the 4 km down hill. He didn't pedal and made up 30-40 seconds on the down hill. I pedaled at 200-260 watts and couldn't catch him. if you are a front pack racer learn this. If you are a mid or back pack racer please do not try this. Especially near me.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
At whistler Chris hauth was doing this right in front of me on the 4 km down hill. He didn't pedal and made up 30-40 seconds on the down hill. I pedaled at 200-260 watts and couldn't catch him. if you are a front pack racer learn this. If you are a mid or back pack racer please do not try this. Especially near me.

Learn what please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's called the Widowmaker. Not THAT special. But it is fast (the fastest way to descend).

Plenty of athletes in triathlon do this. Lots of photos of Frodeno, Kienle etc doing it. I've even done it! Great for closing 20-30sec gaps and leapfrogging the pack.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Aug 5, 18 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheesh man....why does EVERY example of EVERY post have to be about how awesome someone or something from Norway is. You want to see fast descending on a tri bike, Sebi has been doing it for years in all kinds of technical terrain. And I could have picked the descending of Peter Reid who is from my country, but I picked a German, because Sebi is just awesome on all fronts on the tri bike

Now can we just end this thread about relative tourists from Norway as Sebi has set the bar.

PS. Just to be clear pretty well everyone other than Cam Wurf, Starky, Frodo and Brownlee are tourists on tri bikes relative to Sebi. Even Sanders may be able to ride fast but gets dropped by Sebi during 40 mph crosswinds coming down from Hawi.

Probably the other person who is a real master is Freddie Van Lierde. You should see some of his descending at Nice.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 5, 18 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just post Strava segments to show how fast the athletes are down to Hawi or at IM France.
Wurf max speed at Kona 2017 was 75 km/h so the hills cannot be that steep. Did Sebi do 80?

Did anyone do 95 km/h??

Also, if you do not like me and what I write. Why on earth are you reading my posts or even answer them????
Last edited by: Halvard: Aug 5, 18 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
You can just post Strava segments to show how fast the athletes are down to Hawi or at IM France.
Wurf max speed at Kona 2017 was 75 km/h so the hills cannot be that steep. Did Sebi do 80?

Did anyone do 95 km/h??

Also, if you do not like me and what I write. Why on earth are you reading my posts or even answer them????

No I like you and the topics you post about. They are good topics.

I'm probalby bent out of joint about the constant Norway flag waiving superiority slant (or maybe you're ultra patriotic and you don't mean it that way). It's just this constant stream about how awesome Norway is about everything when there are examples from elsewhere that are superior. Also I am biased and probably bent out of joint that Canadian athletes were plumetted near the bottom in several sports post 1988 Dubin inquiry while Norwegian skiers from 1994-2000 were dominating on bread and water when Riis, Ullrich, Pantani were on the top. So I am perhaps biased about the Norway flag waving from that era. Somehow they got off the hook.

This topic is good one, about triathletes descending fast in technical environments and to be fair to you, those guys were solid. In that vein, the speed coming down from Hawi top tube riding is not impressive. It's holding it in the cross winds.
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Yeah I saw people do this last week in Whistler as well. Very fast but looked super sketchy.
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sheesh man....why does EVERY example of EVERY post have to be about how awesome someone or something from Norway is. You want to see fast descending on a tri bike, Sebi has been doing it for years in all kinds of technical terrain. And I could have picked the descending of Peter Reid who is from my country, but I picked a German, because Sebi is just awesome on all fronts on the tri bike

Now can we just end this thread about relative tourists from Norway as Sebi has set the bar.

PS. Just to be clear pretty well everyone other than Cam Wurf, Starky, Frodo and Brownlee are tourists on tri bikes relative to Sebi. Even Sanders may be able to ride fast but gets dropped by Sebi during 40 mph crosswinds coming down from Hawi.

Probably the other person who is a real master is Freddie Van Lierde. You should see some of his descending at Nice.

DANG it Dev why couldn’t you post this day before yesterday.

I really could have used it at yesterday’s race.

I was already crushing other riders on the downhills just coasting as they were peddling away. Being 205 lbs can have its advantages in this lol

BUT with this position I could have crushed AND left them for dead. Lol

Oh well next race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I googled Freddy to see his position

And the first link I clicked was of all places ST

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...uth_Africa_6272.html
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 5, 18 20:56
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is correct.
You will see it clearly right before T2 6.11.00 in the video.
Last edited by: Halvard: Aug 5, 18 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't I get away from everyone on the the decent from Hawi? I wonder how that happened, certainly wasn't with power🤔 But your right I'm ciclo tourist, I love sightseeing on my bike 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well dev, if halvard is guilty of being pro-norway, you (and monty!) are usually ST's resident "back in my day" retro-grouches. so i'm surprised you didn't mention jim riccitello, possibly the all-time greatest tri descender . . . in a speedo no less!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Cjwurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cjwurf wrote:
Didn't I get away from everyone on the the decent from Hawi? I wonder how that happened, certainly wasn't with power🤔 But your right I'm ciclo tourist, I love sightseeing on my bike 😉

Hi, is this you?

https://www.ridemedia.com.au/...ord-ride-at-ironman/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cjwurf wrote:

That's pretty funny...

And Dev, until Sebi rides Embrun or a course like that, please don't go all ballwashing on his descending skills. Yes, he's a great cyclist, but he's not racing super technical courses either. You can't really gauge people's descending skills at IMH.

Halvard, go ahead with Norway flag waving. Your country is beautiful. There is enough pride of other countries here already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cjwurf wrote:

It was the 40mm rims...had nothing to do with your protour handling skills. Did you employ any top tube pedaling to pull away from Sebi like this guy

Just to be clear the non cyclo tourist group exclded Sebi and everyone not faster than him
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 6, 18 5:14
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
well dev, if halvard is guilty of being pro-norway, you (and monty!) are usually ST's resident "back in my day" retro-grouches. so i'm surprised you didn't mention jim riccitello, possibly the all-time greatest tri descender . . . in a speedo no less!

OK guilty as charged. But this time I stuck to current guy!!!! Sebi, Cam etc!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cjwurf wrote:

Speaking of sightseeing on your bike, as you were taking in the sights at IM France, did you out descend Fredrik Van Lierde or out climb him (or both). What wheels did you use, and did you use that tourist Pinarello with rim brakes too?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I can't remember to be honest, just remember wondering why everyone was all of a sudden a long way behind, decided to wait for SEBI at the bottom as wasn't learning anything alone up front.

In nice I believe I took around 4 minutes out of van lierde on the decent, he was still pretty close at the top, I used the super tuck quite a bit there that's for sure
Quote Reply

Prev Next