Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance!
Quote | Reply
Watching the tie breaker after the 5th set after these guys are well into their 4th hour.

When Djoko beat Andersson in the finals he was facing a man who had done 10+ hours of watches in the quarters and semis before the finals. Now we have two masters dueling it out like Mark and Dave at mile 22 in Kona. You can see the small erros they are making, but its still amazing how much energy and control these guys have on their game. They are power-endurance machines. I don't want anyone to lose this one.
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longest wimbeldon final ever? Federer is trying to wear djokovic down lol. This is crazy. Federer blew two championship points. You might not get you training in today lol

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much for the Isner rule eliminating the fifth mega set.
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Longest wimbeldon final ever? Federer is trying to wear djokovic down lol. This is crazy. Federer blew two championship points. You might not get you training in today lol

Haha...I got a 60 min bike commute to pool and 1:45 swim and got back just in time for the 5th set. I'll watch TdF replays all afternoon after these guys are done and do a real bike ride later....meanwhile, back to the sport at hand, Federer is playing the "low power game" just trying to conserve energy and play a high percentage baseline game. But hey. its 12-11 for Djoko now. This is like watching a Sagan vs Cav sprint finish in ultra super duper frame by frame slow motion!!!!

No one deserves to lose this. What would you give to be in London at center court for this. You'd be passing from exhaustion jus tbeing a fan and consuming energy cheering !!!!
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
So much for the Isner rule eliminating the fifth mega set.

This is like tacking ton two extra sets already! And Federer was worn down getting here through Rafa Nadal (just a 3 hrs and 2 minute match....)...so Federer is closing in on 8 hrs competing in a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that is over I can go swimming now. Federer was impressive on the drop shots and net game but too many unforced errors. Djokovic was a machine. Impressive Djoko won given his earlier two sets where tie breakers. I didn't see those like you I only tuned in for the last set.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a match! Both are incredible athletes and champions.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a classico. Really wanted RF to get another one.
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
That was a classico. Really wanted RF to get another one.

I have to say, I was going for Federer, but he had many chances to put it away. Djoko kept fighting and fighting and fighting. Interesting that he said that his hope was to take it to the Tiebreaker. I really liked when Djoko said that he's one of those younger guys who can be inspired by Federer doing what he is at 37!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just waiting for the champion of equal rights Serena Williams to push for women to compete for 5 sets. Equal pay and all that should also come with equal effort...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Glad that is over I can go swimming now. Federer was impressive on the drop shots and net game but too many unforced errors. Djokovic was a machine. Impressive Djoko won given his earlier two sets where tie breakers. I didn't see those like you I only tuned in for the last set.

Federer played far more consistently than Novak.
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I'm just waiting for the champion of equal rights Serena Williams to push for women to compete for 5 sets. Equal pay and all that should also come with equal effort...

I think Serena's size ends up becoming a disadvantage in the 5 set game. Then she has to fuel all that muscle with oxygen for a far longer time. I am actually surprised by her longevity. For example Halep is around 10 kilos lighter. That's a lot less mass to move around the court and accelerate and decelerate all day once you go to the 2.5-4 hour match length
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

I think Serena's size ends up becoming a disadvantage in the 5 set game. Then she has to fuel all that muscle with oxygen for a far longer time. I am actually surprised by her longevity. For example Halep is around 10 kilos lighter. That's a lot less mass to move around the court and accelerate and decelerate all day once you go to the 2.5-4 hour match length

Yep, I just think it's hilarious that she can be so vocal on equality yet is happy to get paid the same as the men for only doing a fraction of the work. But after all like you said she probably realises it would be to her detriment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FAN-tastic match. Anyone lucky enough to see the end of the match saw two of the best ever professionals playing tennis.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and the fact that Roger keeps going and going and going in a sport that favors the young should probably be filed "in things we should take a look it..."
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
Yes and the fact that Roger keeps going and going and going in a sport that favors the young should probably be filed "in things we should take a look it..."

For what, inspiration?
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
FAN-tastic match. Anyone lucky enough to see the end of the match saw two of the best ever professionals playing tennis.

Did I see Bjorn Borg in the stands at center court or was I hallucinating? I am just glad I got my swim done in time to catch the final 5th set to to 12 and then the tie breaker. It seemed to me that overall Federer was trying to expend less energy in the 5th set. Aside from really giving it on his serves (and he never seemed to let up on that), once the ball was served up, he was trying to play a high percentage baseline game. Djokovic really deserved that win coming back from Championship point.

The crazy thing is that after the are done, there is no time for ease up, top up on carbs and then do all the small talk with the Royalty folks. They just get thrown into all the ceremonial stuff with no rest and have to be gentlemen. Having said that, at least its Kate Middelton who is a reasonably athletic herself (maybe not as heroic as Pippa doing Vasaloppet and other adventures, but still) !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He sat next to Tom Hiddleston

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
He sat next to Tom Hiddleston

Wow, I would not have recognized him at all. He was my role model when I played tennis growing up, loved his Ice Man demeanor with no emotion shown. Apparently this year's women's champ Halep has this same no emotion approach to the game.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything was perfect, except the outcome. How can Fed stay on top in this sport for so long? He has 4 kids too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad prize money though

Winner: £2.35 million
Runner-up: £1.175 million
Semi-finalists: £588,000
Quarter-finalists: £294,000
Fourth round: £176,000
Third round: £111,000
Second round: £72,000
First round: £45,000

Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

Yep, I just think it's hilarious that she can be so vocal on equality yet is happy to get paid the same as the men for only doing a fraction of the work. But after all like you said she probably realises it would be to her detriment.
Are you just trying to be inflamatory or do you really think sportspeople are paid on the basis of effort?
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dunno wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

Are you just trying to be inflamatory or do you really think sportspeople are paid on the basis of effort?

No I am not saying that. Dunno opened the topic. I just said that if the game is 5 set I don't think Serena dominates as much as the 3 set game. Endurance had a higher component for the longer game. I do think there is no good reason why the womens' game is not 5 sets. Your prime examples are women like Chrissie Wellington, Daniela Ryf, or winding back the clock to the 1980's Joan Benoit and Paula Newby Fraser. It makes zero sense why the women's game is not 5 sets for grand slam tournaments.
Quote Reply
Re: This Wimbeldon Final is a Display of Crazy Endurance! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dunno wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

Why are you being so sexist? I want equality for females and think they should play 5 sets. Women can compete a full Ironman but it seems tennis is one of the last bastions of true sexism demeaning women and their ability to endure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next