Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST)
Quote | Reply

Race Date: Wednesday, April 22 (ongoing weekly series - different course each week)

• WOMEN’S RACE // RACE START 7:07am PST / 10:07am EST / 3:07pm UK / 4:07pm CET
• MEN’S RACE // RACE START 7:47am PST / 10:47am EST / 3:47pm UK / 4:47pm CE

The course is fairly flat but with 2 x climbs up Box Hill, the race will likely fracture into groups on this first climb. And, with a finish at the summit of Box Hill on the second loop, it'll be a long, hard-fought grind for this week's victor.

From what I've been told Lionel, Flora, Lucy, a good field.

Total distance: 25.5km (16 miles)
Elevation Gain: 375m (1230ft)

Race Notes: Unlike in regular Zwift riding, you won't see TT bikes or Tron bikes, but you will see disc wheels and the ability for riders to strategically utilize Power-Ups to gain various advantages throughout the ride.

I hope and believe the Youtube Livestream that I've embedded above will populate with THIS week's event shortly before it starts.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 22, 20 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being confused (new to time zones), has this happened and thats the recording or its on in a little bit
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Sorry for being confused (new to time zones), has this happened and thats the recording or its on in a little bit

the current race just started is now what's showing in the video in the 1st post.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women's race is 15 min in. Any idea why the world isn't 'closed' (why other avatars are visible)?

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Audio choppiness from the commentators is pretty bad. Not as interesting to watch on mute but also super distracting when the commentators are constantly dropping in and out. Bummer.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Women's race is 15 min in. Any idea why the world isn't 'closed' (why other avatars are visible)?

you can program it either way. in our scheduled events on slowtwitch we can choose whether other riders are visible. i don't believe you can select invisibility of your group, but you can choose to have your group be the only riders on the road during your scheduled event. i think it's pretty clear that the better option for THIS race series is to make other riders invisible, so that you can tell who's racing and who's not. also, i suspect that with other riders present in the event you could draft a rider not in the race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. It does seem like Lucy and Emma got a nice assist on the first Box Hill descent from outside riders - not a complaint, just a feature of having other riders on the road. I agree that it would be better with other riders invisible.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge setup error not make other riders go away! Sucks for the winner as there will be an asterix at the result. Adam and simon yates just pulled lucy and pallant around a bit, noone has a chsnce to gap up.
Hope it is fixwd for mens race
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Huge setup error not make other riders go away! Sucks for the winner as there will be an asterix at the result. Adam and simon yates just pulled lucy and pallant around a bit, noone has a chsnce to gap up. Hope it is fixwd for mens race

seems like nobody but the men's race entrants are in the course.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly watching the race on Lucy's channel was much better than the actual Zwift channel, helps that she was leading but could actually see the course, some stats (watts/HR) and the audio was much better listening to Reece coach her. This could be so much better if Zwift could figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Honestly watching the race on Lucy's channel was much better than the actual Zwift channel, helps that she was leading but could actually see the course, some stats (watts/HR) and the audio was much better listening to Reece coach her. This could be so much better if Zwift could figure it out.

keep in mind lucy is a zwift athlete. there are a few. lucy, lionel. they're in a different category. like mo farah. specific zwift contracts. so it's quite possible zwift has worked with lucy on her specific audio-visual set up. the zwift guys are pretty smart.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know who Sam Laidlow is, but he just held 480 watts for 33 minutes. Dan I think he should get a slowtwitch story.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I don't know who Sam Laidlow is, but he just held 480 watts for 33 minutes. Dan I think he should get a slowtwitch story.

Yeah, but what is his time on Mount Lemmon?
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

young kid born to English parents grew up In pyrenyes and went to school for high performance tri kids I don't know him personally but an ex athlete of mine speaks very highly of him, has been telling me for more than 5 years this guy will be really good .
Last edited by: pk: Apr 22, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw he's only 21!! Definitely has a bright future if those numbers are accurate.

Edit: Ok after looking into this further. Unfortunately it looks like those numbers cannot be accurate. This would make his FTP likely in the 6w/kg realm, which is from what I've read the same as Egan Bernal.
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 22, 20 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [jakesaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Zwift is going to have to clean this up or the triathlon stars are going to stop participating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I hear you dude. I get it's supposed to be entertaining and fun but some of these efforts are so unbelievable.

Moreno rides a 70.3 at 261 watts but can throw down 400 watts and then assuming his NP was 420ish for this. LOL

https://www.strava.com/.../2827852004/analysis

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Last edited by: jakesaunders: Apr 22, 20 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [jakesaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesaunders wrote:
Haha I hear you dude. I get it's supposed to be entertaining and fun but some of these efforts are so unbelievable.

Moreno rides a 70.3 at 261 watts but can throw down 400 watts and then assuming his NP was 420ish for this. LOL

https://www.strava.com/.../2827852004/analysis

it's certainly fair to scrutinize someone's ability to ride zwift based on demonstrated ability outdoors. but i would caution you about power averages in races. what races? lots of descents? where little or no power is produced, bringing the average way down? i'd like to see someone's entire power file, drop it into Ray's analysis tool, select those times when pedaling is steady, and look at the averages for those segments. compare those to whatever you want to look at in-game.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. I only used this dude as an example, one that comes across as highly suspect. He didn't upload this result to Strava either.

For the sake of argument, his average power during that 70.3 was 261 watts and his NP power was likely around 270, based off of the weighted average power on Strava. I understand that this is different from NP but the numbers are usually fairly close. He put out an overage of 400 watts for 33 minutes today. Obviously not steady and consistent, and I'm guessing that his NP was in the range of 415-420. With that being said, if he did an all out, steady, well-paced, 30 minute effort he could get to 415-420 based off of this. That would put his FTP in the realm of at least 380-400 watts. So he rode that 70.3 at 69% of his FTP for that 70.3.

Obviously this is all speculation but you can't really believe some of the efforts can you? Do you honestly think this guy rode at 6.1 w/kg for 33 minutes or the guy at 6.6 w/kg?

I have nothing against this guy but you will start to lose the big name guys/gals if these jabronis continue to put out world tour efforts.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the other thread it is mentioned that these results should be on zwiftpower.com, that would give us a chance to see how these numbers compare to past 20min/5min bests for the riders. a lot of these guys are new to zwift, so probably dont have many results, but after a month or so patterns will emerge and make suspect results obvious. if someone does 10 races at 4-5 w/kg 20 min then busts out 6+ w/kg, that is suspect (doesn't always mean cheating, but trainer related more likely.) Now you can see why at the top level zwift races they use dual recordings, weigh ins etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Zwift is going to have to clean this up or the triathlon stars are going to stop participating.

What do you mean by that?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 of the top 4 guys in this race put out efforts that put them at or above Egan Bernal on a w/kg FTP level. I doubt there's anything fishy going on, lots of guys are very new to zwift and probably don't have the best setups. But it's clear that they have inaccurate power measurement.

If you were Lionel or Alistair, would you keep participating if you had no chance of winning fairly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 of the top 4 guys in this race put out efforts that put them at or above Egan Bernal on a w/kg FTP level. I doubt there's anything fishy going on, lots of guys are very new to zwift and probably don't have the best setups. But it's clear that they have inaccurate power measurement.

Agreed - more work needs to be done here. More standardization. The more the better.

My wife races, for a semi-pro team on Zwift and is in real life and on the real roads, one of the top Master's Women's Road cyclists in Canada. She's raced on Zwift with three different trainers and each one was a bit different with the power profiles, and how they were expressed.

This is all REALLY new, and is kind of a work in progress for all concerned. I think we just need a bit of patience to work some of the bugs out.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the reason these results aren't on ZwiftPower because they didn't ask these guys to make a ZP account in order to participate? Being able to see at least a bit more power data would be nice. Because yeah, there's no way that was a real 471 watts or whatever it was. He simply isn't an elite level Pro Tour cyclist. Hopefully they can figure out a way to improve things a bit.

I'm sure LS will chime in on a video or something. Interested to hear his take

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next