Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This Place is Super Boring Right Now
Quote | Reply
Obviously with racing on pause there isn't much to talk about. So I'm going to tell everyone what's on my mind to see open a dialogue of what's going on with everyone else right now:

1. I don't see racing resuming until 2022. I think IM should give everyone a heads up early of a 2022 deferral. Until most folks have a chance to get the vaccine (end of 2021 at best). I think this is the only responsible way to approach it. Plus I think most places won't be allowing mass gatherings and large sporting events anytime soon.
2. Triathlon Taren thinks ST was fat shaming him and did a recent video that people like him shouldn't be treated so badly. It was pointed out he most likely didn't adjust his weight in Zwift for a recent FTP test and progressed into a candid discussion about body composition and Z. He put out shirtless pictures detailing his weight gain. If he didn't want anyone to talk about it maybe he shouldn't post shirtless pictures and do full YouTube videos on weight gain. Just my two cents.
3. Trying to drop about 3-5 kilos myself to get to race weight. Just an offseason goal. As well, doing a 6 week FTP Builder. I'm hearing Tour de Zwift is crazy fun. What's everyone else doing right now to stay motivated and in shape?
4. Really enjoying the latest That Triathlon Life, Vegan Cyclist, Joe Skipper, Sam Long and Lionel YouTube videos. What else is fun and engaging on the trainer? I've done Superleague, Otillo, Norseman, ITU videos, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting post. Here’s the beauty of the vaccine though: we don’t need everyone vaccinated. We only need high risk groups that make up the majority of hospitalizations to be vaccinated. What’s driving public policy (aside from the obvious politics) is hospital capacity. Logic would say that once hospitalizations decline, “normalcy” should return even if case number isn’t declining as much. Meaning people are still getting covid but those that would have needed hospital care have been vaccinated. Now, this is assuming “logic” will prevail and not politics, but I’m not very optimistic about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I had a text convo with an athlete after hearing inside info that basically one of the non IM long course races in my area was going to be pushed to 2022. He responded "crazy that this is a race I signed up for in 2019". Kinda put it all in prospetive.

Hell I've had so many athlete deferrals and movements, I sometimes lose track of them.

2. Fat or body shaming anyone absolutely has no place in any society. But calling out "wrong info" most certainly should be allowed, and you don't get to get called out and then say people are "hating" on you. I find that to be such weak minded bullshit responses....but again actual body and fat shaming is wrong.

3. The group of athletes that I coach it's been interesting. It's def been an fork in the road, some have seen it as a great way to get stronger and better regardless of when the racing will happen, others have said "I need a race date to motivate, etc". I get both sides, of people dropping coaching, keeping coaching etc. I think in all of this I think you can def create more "fun" things with training and not worry so damn much about hitting every workout, etc. So in that sense I think athletes who really enjoy the "grind" imo have been able to take huge advantage of this down period of no races.

4. We re-watched the Rio '16 "cat fight" between GJ and Spirig on the run. That was fun to watch and go over. Still amazing to me that GJ rode in the front pack as easy as she did in that race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 26, 21 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Interesting post. Here’s the beauty of the vaccine though: we don’t need everyone vaccinated. We only need high risk groups that make up the majority of hospitalizations to be vaccinated. What’s driving public policy (aside from the obvious politics) is hospital capacity. Logic would say that once hospitalizations decline, “normalcy” should return even if case number isn’t declining as much. Meaning people are still getting covid but those that would have needed hospital care have been vaccinated. Now, this is assuming “logic” will prevail and not politics, but I’m not very optimistic about that.

This is my take as well, especially for areas which depend more on tourism (e.g. typical race venues) than most. As an example, my next race is Tremblant 70.3 in June. Even if by then we've only vaccinated 20-30% of the population (on the low side of projections), the government is going to be keen on getting tourism and the economy back online. Plus, there are a few points going for tri:
  • Participants are unlikely to be high risk, even if they're in a high risk group. Sure, age is a high risk factor, but I'd wager most people in a 70.3 are lower risk than the general population for any given age. My dad (65) will also be doing MT 70.3 with me, and I'd hazard he's lower risk (as a result of his training/diet habits) than almost anyone in his age cohort. Now, mind you, I wouldn't want him to get it either way, but his lifestyle choices certainly reduce his risk factor.
  • Triathlon is well suited for social distancing anyway. The bike is 12m distancing anyway, and you can spread everyone out over 4hrs in a 70.3 if you really need to do it at some venues. For an IM you need everyone in the water sooner, but there's ways to do it.
  • We've already seen how a COVID IM looks like. 6ft apart to start the swim. Extra space at racks. Everyone grabs their own nutrition from the aid station. Masks before/after.
  • Racing, however, might look different for participants than spectators. No one at the finish line except volunteers in masks might be the new normal, but still allows racing.
  • Ditto for just the local participants. Crossing an international border might be tricky for a bit, but if you can make it work with the local triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll bite :)
1. I think we'll see racing this year, depending on specific locations. Vaccinations will also help.
2. I'm relatively new at ST and to triathlons. I'm not sure why there are some TT haters on here. He's not a pro and never will be. That's one reason I watch his channel - I'm not a pro and never will be. As an "old" guy, watching TT type channels inspire me to continue training and I can pick out a bit of knowledge here and there. I know the pros and top AGers won't get much out of these types of channels, but why the hate?
3. I'm still training as if I was going to do the Galveston 70.3 - even though I'm not. It's full and I didn't want to sign up until I was more sure that the event will go off. I'll even go through the taper as if I was doing the race. After the taper I'll probably look into a ftp builder program as biking is by far my worst activity.
4. I'll need to look into some of the channels you mention, like That Triathlon Life. I don't spend too much time on the pro channels (except when they're covering races) because it's too hard for me to put my feet in their shoes. "Trainer"? What's a trainer (tongue in cheek)? I only have a road and tri bike. All my riding is outside.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was very obvious that TT lost "objectivity" when he started going down the product sponsorship hole when he was talking about the science of training. He apparently gets great interviews with people in triathlon, he has a fairly good pulse of the sport, I was just off what he had to say when he goes into the "science" of training.

And that's not "hating" on him, I just find that to be dangerous as a coach when your imo all over the place at times with programming and ideas- most especially when you have that type of influence platform.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a chance to watch the Vegan Cyclist’s Dirty Kanza video? One of the best I have watched. I’m sure we can all relate to that, having a plan and then the day turning into a train wreck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. There will be racing in 2021

2. TT is a good guy but.....he needs to HTFU. If you are a youtuber and don't expect trolls your kidding yourself. He just needs to ignore them and for heavens sake never ever feed the trolls.

3. Everybody is different. I have eat a lot not to lose weight. If I were a vegan I would.....well.........simply.........die.

4. Long course videos are cool. I just can't get into ITU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
1. I don't see racing resuming until 2022. I think IM should give everyone a heads up early of a 2022 deferral. Until most folks have a chance to get the vaccine (end of 2021 at best). I think this is the only responsible way to approach it. Plus I think most places won't be allowing mass gatherings and large sporting events anytime soon.

I agree with this in regard to HIM and IM racing, but I know for a fact that bike racing in Colorado still went on (albeit in a modified format) in 2020 and I would be shocked if it didn't go forward this year. I would expect local racing (sprint, olympic) events to also go forward.

Side note, and I'm not trying to pick on you so I'm sorry if it feels that way, but I'm really bothered by our sport's obsession with IM and HIM. I know so many people not in our sport that won't jump in because they think they only kind of triathlons out there are IM when we have so many different formats (and I would argue that Olympic is far more interesting and fun than HIM and IM anyway). I find that I do way more bike racing and the occassion triathlon mostly because I have zero interest in racing for 4-10 hours and want the intensity and speed of shorter events, but it's often hard to find "serious" Olympic triathlons unless you are a U23. The closest we realistically have is XTERRA which is extremely limited given the terrain needs (lake/ocean next to mountain bike trails)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Obviously with racing on pause there isn't much to talk about. So I'm going to tell everyone what's on my mind to see open a dialogue of what's going on with everyone else right now:

2. Triathlon Taren thinks ST was fat shaming him and did a recent video that people like him shouldn't be treated so badly. It was pointed out he most likely didn't adjust his weight in Zwift for a recent FTP test and progressed into a candid discussion about body composition and Z. He put out shirtless pictures detailing his weight gain. If he didn't want anyone to talk about it maybe he shouldn't post shirtless pictures and do full YouTube videos on weight gain. Just my two cents.
3. Trying to drop about 3-5 kilos myself to get to race weight. Just an offseason goal. As well, doing a 6 week FTP Builder. I'm hearing Tour de Zwift is crazy fun. What's everyone else doing right now to stay motivated and in shape?
4. Really enjoying the latest That Triathlon Life, Vegan Cyclist, Joe Skipper, Sam Long and Lionel YouTube videos. What else is fun and engaging on the trainer? I've done Superleague, Otillo, Norseman, ITU videos, etc.

Here are my thoughts on your four-threads-in-one...
1. I think there will be some racing this year, but only the races organised by for-profit businesses. All the awesome local races organised by tri clubs will be cancelled this year but for the ones that are put on to make a profit, I am sure a way will be found to have the races. Within limits (i.e. no international competition, local athletes driving to races, distancing at the race etc.), a triathlon can definitely be organised to be covid-safe. I am signed up for ITU worlds in Edmonton (which I think has only a tiny chance of happening due to the international nature of it) and IM Canada in Penticton (which I think will happen because IM is a business with a huge vested interest in finding a way to put on the event).
2. I don't know who Triathlon Taren is but if he is a "social media influencer" person then I think he needs to take the rough with the smooth. Seems lame to me if someone chooses that career and then whines about "haters". I'm a teacher and it would be like me whining about "children".
3. ME TOO! Don't really know where the bloody weight came from because my training has been good. I turn 46 this year, so maybe it's just age (ugh). My issue is trying to drop weight while still staying healthy and training hard. It's such a delicate balance and I guess if I have to choose two out of: a. good training b. good health c. ideal weight, I would happily take a and b and just put c off until a little later in the year.
4. I'll check out some of those Youtube suggestions. I love watching rugby matches (especially All Blacks) when I'm on the trainer. I also find the CTS training videos (which are downloadable for free right now...) really motivating, especially the ones with race footage. I watched the Iron Cowboy movie on Prime last week as well, after reading the thread about him here.
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I thought it was very obvious that TT lost "objectivity" when he started going down the product sponsorship hole when he was talking about the science of training. He apparently gets great interviews with people in triathlon, he has a fairly good pulse of the sport, I was just off what he had to say when he goes into the "science" of training.

And that's not "hating" on him, I just find that to be dangerous as a coach when your imo all over the place at times with programming and ideas- most especially when you have that type of influence platform.

Couldn't agree more - pushing low carb so hard and then going back and blaming low carb for instance. Lots of easy hacks followed by saying later he was overtrained. It's hard to listen to at times because you can't be sure of the same message in 3 months time...it's a rabbit hole.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Did you get a chance to watch the Vegan Cyclist’s Dirty Kanza video? One of the best I have watched. I’m sure we can all relate to that, having a plan and then the day turning into a train wreck.

It was great! He was so open, honest and funny which is refreshing. The inside joke between my gf and I is how long before he's the Divorced Vegan Cyclist. Dude puts in seriously legit hours, but needs to listen to his wife. It sounds like he's having a tough time balancing fatherhood with cycling. He's really trying, but he's basically riding like a pro and it does seem to put everything on his wife. They even talk about it which is interesting. I do hope they can make it work as they both seem so cool.
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think when you can control the narrative like TT does, it sorta creates an avenue that he has to keep going down that same rabbit hole and that it truly becomes him vs "hater" if anyone "wait a minute let's have a talk on this". That's what happens when training and info gets "boring" and you have no new "idea". You start searching for anything and everything to keep those numbers up, and you sorta lose who you are, or why you did it.

It's really really fucking hard to make a living at this industry. ETA: For the most part there's nothing sexy about any of this. Whether it's a 5 min FTP set or a 7 min FTP set, workouts are essentially workouts. There's only so much you can do with S/B/R information that doesn't sorta become repeitive and "boring" for the audience. But that's when you lose me when you then start creating fake science or bad science for content, etc. Or your new segment is sponsored by "X product" that somehow suddenly just out of no where created all new PR's.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 26, 21 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right there with you on TT. Dude literally put out videos and pictures about his weight gain. It was noted that he didn't update his weight on a recent Ramp Test in Z. It evolved into a debate over the estimated number. I don't ever remember anyone bashing away at him.

On the other hand, if you're a social media influencer and you're posting these videos and pictures then you have to understand there will be dialogue. It was almost like a self pity video done to get a bunch of cheerleaders evoking a positive reinforcement. Many comments referred to haters, but I don't believe anyone was hating on him. Being critical perhaps, but not hating. Big difference. I do agree the video shows mental weakness.

If you're reading TT, we love you but just want you to keep it real with everyone. You gained a bunch of weight because you overtrained messing up your hormone levels, followed a gimmick diet (keto), and didn't keep training through lockdown. Look the Covid 19lbs is real, but no need to make videos saying everyone is hating when its a discussion. Seems like he's deflecting from the fact he wasn't honest about updating his weight in Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you're bored, then you're boring"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And mind you it's not so much a TT "hate" imo as I turn off stuff from the world's best. GJ I used to follow on IG until I realized every single post she did came off as scripted "product placement" every single post. So I guess I'm more or less over the whole "influencer" phase of endurance athletics.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make a really good point about the need to constantly put out content.

I don’t watch him as I find him incredibly irritating, but seeing him pop up in my YouTube feed with hack x and y, and new ways of doing anything justifies that decision further. Find something, validate it, monitor it, stick to it. If something comes along that’s better, fine, but at least do some background on it. Hacks are rubbish, and chasing utterly peripheral marginal gains is causing people to waste time on .1 percent improvements like a new skewer because it’s more glamorous than the major improvements in sleeping better or training that little bit more.

The really, truly superb athletes I know were analytical, sure, but they didn’t get obsessive. They got the big stuff right - and in one case, first world champ win in 1986, final Olympic win in 2004 - and had fun doing it.

Rant over.

And to the guy who said everything should go back to normal once the vulnerable are ok? Two words: LONG. COVID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:

Obviously you're not meaning NO racing will happen, but rather the bulk of racing won't resume till 2022, but there will be racing real soon. Challenge Miami is on. At this point Florida is open, for better or worse. And I would/will be there if I get off the waitlist. That's how badly people need racing right now though, for the first time ever in a non-championship race (that I'm aware of), the race director can't let all the pros in who want to race. Which honestly sucks a$$.

Anyways, you made a whiny thread so I wanted to add some whining to it :)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:

I agree with this in regard to HIM and IM racing, but I know for a fact that bike racing in Colorado still went on (albeit in a modified format) in 2020 and I would be shocked if it didn't go forward this year. I would expect local racing (sprint, olympic) events to also go forward.

Side note, and I'm not trying to pick on you so I'm sorry if it feels that way, but I'm really bothered by our sport's obsession with IM and HIM. I know so many people not in our sport that won't jump in because they think they only kind of triathlons out there are IM when we have so many different formats (and I would argue that Olympic is far more interesting and fun than HIM and IM anyway). I find that I do way more bike racing and the occassion triathlon mostly because I have zero interest in racing for 4-10 hours and want the intensity and speed of shorter events, but it's often hard to find "serious" Olympic triathlons unless you are a U23. The closest we realistically have is XTERRA which is extremely limited given the terrain needs (lake/ocean next to mountain bike trails)

Where do you live? Are you really fast? I feel like here in Lansing, MI there are plenty of competitive sprint and Olympic races within a few hours drive. Competitive as far as fast people showing up.

As for racing, I’m optimistic. We had some limited racing here in the late summer and fall. I think we’re in a better position this summer than last. My A races are Steelhead 70.3 and USAT sprint nationals in Milwaukee - we’ll see on those. Nationals seems more likely than Steelhead, but I think both could happen.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing is already back in some capacity in Colorado. Did a 5k last weekend and a Duathlon the weekend before that. There will absolutely be tris/bike races/runs this summer. TBD if that is still in a COVID friendly modified format.

Agree that IM racing is more challenging with 1k-5k competitors all showing up at the same time. That'll likely be dictated by state and county level policy. IM would surely host the events given the opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:

I giggled after watching them within a day of each other and noticing they are all focused on swimming ;-).

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [barrec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that fall races will happen, but nothing really before the 3rd quarter

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I'm really bothered by our sport's obsession with IM and HIM. I know so many people not in our sport that won't jump in because they think they only kind of triathlons out there are IM when we have so many different formats (and I would argue that Olympic is far more interesting and fun than HIM and IM anyway). I find that I do way more bike racing and the occassion triathlon mostly because I have zero interest in racing for 4-10 hours and want the intensity and speed of shorter events, but it's often hard to find "serious" Olympic triathlons unless you are a U23. The closest we realistically have is XTERRA which is extremely limited given the terrain needs (lake/ocean next to mountain bike trails)

Amen! My wife and I feel the same.

Would love more supersprint, sprint, and Oly distance events.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously - come to Michigan! At least in a normal summer, you get short course races every weekend. Quality of competition varies, but there are a few (including a monthly Wednesday evening race) that attract pretty fast folks.

Is that truly unusual? Maybe I’m severely underestimating quality competition because I’m FOMOP, but I think we have some fast athletes.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: This Place is Super Boring Right Now [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. Less about race availability per se, and more about overemphasis or importance of the longer races. There seem to be a litany of sprints and Oly distance races anywhere, but everyone in triathlon uses them as their tune-up races for something longer, unless it's their first year in the sport.

Seems more of what I hear in triathlon than even in running is "when are you moving up??" when someone does well in a sprint or Oly tri.
Hear it from MOP & BOPers in sprint & Oly distance.
Hear it from FOP, MOP & BOPers who race HIM & IM and just use the sprints and Oly to practice.
Hear it even from race organizers, family or anyone who has ever heard of triathlon!

Would love to hear "What's your goal in sprint or Oly tris??" This is clearly a soapbox-level bias for me though. More on my thoughts here: Go Faster Before You Go Longer

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply

Prev Next