Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thinking about the new 70+ year old setting marathon record..
Quote | Reply
I came across this Kiwi who just turned 50, and already has 5 world records it seems. I was thinking about Cameron Brown and Crowie still crushing some long distance triathlons in their mid 40's, and it occurred to me that perhaps in a few years one of those guys might be setting world running records. Of course they are not going to approach this guys, he is stretching at doing a 10k, but maybe 1/2 or full marathon??

https://www.runnersworld.com/...d-records-at-age-50/

I mean Cameron just ran a 2;42 or something like that at 46 in an ironman, who knows what his stand alone could be? Probably not going to break the 2;20 it would take for the WR, but probably could be one of the fastest, if not the fastest competing at the time...

Anyway just going through some thought experiments on some of our tough guys still hanging in there..At the very least when Cameron does an 8;20+ ironman at 50, that will be pretty special, I wonder if he will race AG?...Some head will explode here for sure when he finally does.. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about the new 70+ year old setting marathon record.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I came across this Kiwi who just turned 50, and already has 5 world records it seems. I was thinking about Cameron Brown and Crowie still crushing some long distance triathlons in their mid 40's, and it occurred to me that perhaps in a few years one of those guys might be setting world running records. Of course they are not going to approach this guys, he is stretching at doing a 10k, but maybe 1/2 or full marathon??

https://www.runnersworld.com/...d-records-at-age-50/

I mean Cameron just ran a 2;42 or something like that at 46 in an ironman, who knows what his stand alone could be? Probably not going to break the 2;20 it would take for the WR, but probably could be one of the fastest, if not the fastest competing at the time...

Anyway just going through some thought experiments on some of our tough guys still hanging in there..At the very least when Cameron does an 8;20+ ironman at 50, that will be pretty special, I wonder if he will race AG?...Some head will explode here for sure when he finally does.. (-;

Rob Barel is killing it pretty well at an older age. No reason to think Cam would not also.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about the new 70+ year old setting marathon record.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it just occurred to me that an old friend of mine I think held the WR for 50+ 5k on the road about 15 years ago. John Gailsen was his name, and I think he ran close to 15 flat at the Carlsbad 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about the new 70+ year old setting marathon record.. [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Barel is killing it pretty well at an older age. No reason to think Cam would not also.//

Ya, I was thinking about old Rob, he crushed the 60+ at Kona, even beating the drug cheats that race pumped. A great example of just never quitting, and racing hard for the past 40 years. Only I think Rob's real talent is just being able to race the distance, all 3 disciplines solid. I think that Cameron is an exceptional runner, even for a triathlete, and may transcend our sport in his older age.

I thought that Jeff Cuddeback might have given Rob's record a go on this years super fast course, but he blew on the run at the point where it was attainable still. So if a guy like Jeff cannot beat it on a day when everyone around those times are going 20+ minutes faster, I would say it is safe for about 14 more years or so... (-;
Quote Reply