Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Jeff Vader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course the CO2 issue now has me worried. Should I be moving the really big plants outside at night or just get a CO2 detector. Does the switch over from ozygen to CO2 take place after sundown or at bedtime?
I'm wondering if a CO2 scrubber is in order? For safety's sake, its probably best to speak with the local Home Depot or Super Walmart horticulturist.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [cgrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Of course the CO2 issue now has me worried. Should I be moving the really big plants outside at night or just get a CO2 detector. Does the switch over from ozygen to CO2 take place after sundown or at bedtime?
I'm wondering if a CO2 scrubber is in order? For safety's sake, its probably best to speak with the local Home Depot or Super Walmart horticulturist.
Good suggestion... especially if you are concerned by global warming and like and support Al Gore. The scrubber not only reduces the risk of inhaling excessive CO2 at night due to plant breath... but will neutralize some of the CO2 that is in the air due to automobile exhaust pollution as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Man. I didn't know that such an animal existed. Thanks. Cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TFF. Any suggestions on a CO2 scrubber?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
TFF. Any suggestions on a CO2 scrubber?
If TFF means "Thanks for fark-all" I think you need to be a little more polite when asking questions Jeff. But I might be wrong???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, a CO2 scruber isn't a bad idea considering climate change and all. I have one in my shelter, along with a water purifier, short wave radio, 6 months supply of food and water, and an AK. I have seeds from various plants stored there too so that I can begin growing my food once it is safe to surface again. I will post pictures of my trainer down there too. I have 2 spare bikes down there all set up with a generator so that I can actually put some power in the bank and keep fit too. I may post some pictures if I can be sure I wont give away where I live. Don't think your plants will survive in the shelter unless you get some indoor growing lights and a hydroponic system. I thought about it, but didn't want to raise the suspicion of the men in the LBH's. I wonder if I can find one used for cash?
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Death by tray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WMD shelter?

There is no way I would leave my plants to die. A sun-mimicking lighting system and/or terrarium would be worth the cost IMHO. Most of my plants wouldn't be transferrable to a hydroponic system.
Last edited by: Bro Dull: Jul 15, 08 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amron International seems to have some nice CO2 scrubbers. Anybody have one and have any opionions on it.

I am wondering if I need to lay a concrete pad down in the room before installation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, a CO2 scruber isn't a bad idea considering climate change and all. I have one in my shelter, along with a water purifier, short wave radio, 6 months supply of food and water, and an AK. I have seeds from various plants stored there too so that I can begin growing my food once it is safe to surface again. I will post pictures of my trainer down there too. I have 2 spare bikes down there all set up with a generator so that I can actually put some power in the bank and keep fit too. I may post some pictures if I can be sure I wont give away where I live. Don't think your plants will survive in the shelter unless you get some indoor growing lights and a hydroponic system. I thought about it, but didn't want to raise the suspicion of the men in the LBH's. I wonder if I can find one used for cash?
Do you have any ferns down there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you have any ferns down there?
Ferns would be one of the most difficult plants to look after in a shelter for anything more than a week. But it's doable. You will need a huge tank of water down there though to support yourself, family and the ferns. Ferns are thirsty plants.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Bro Dull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I hate to say it. silk might be a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Actually cgrout... you just reminded me of a little experience I had with a so-called Home Depot "horticulturalist". I asked the resident HD expert in the garden section if I needed to shake any of the soil free from the roots of the potplant after taking it home and repotting it and then trimming the outer root ball before surrounding it with fresh pot mix. I just had an inkling he was speaking BS and wanted to test him with a Gardening101 question. He replied "no". Need I say more about Home Depot "horticulturalists"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plants would be difficult down there. I did a test run with flourescent lights and purified water, but natural sunlight just works better. If I can find a hydro system and some real growing lights that I can buy for cash than I might go for it. I will have plenty of time on my hands, and hortaculture would pass the time nicely. As for silk, it might not be an awful idea just to have the color, but I wouldn't want any of my buddies to see them before the shit goes down, so probably not.

In all seriousness, you guys do have a plan for the coming age, right? We are being light-hearted a bit, but the bank collapses are part of rider 3, and there isn't but one more rider to come. God bless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was thinking the same thing. I hate to say it. silk might be a good option.
Practical in some ways...but silk plants are dead to me IMHO. I'm sorry. I just can't help but think of the living plant that has been left to die in a nursery because someone couldn't be bothered putting a little effort into nurturing it.. so they went for the low-maintenance fake one instead. That's just me though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Amron International seems to have some nice CO2 scrubbers. Anybody have one and have any opionions on it.

I am wondering if I need to lay a concrete pad down in the room before installation.
The Amron International CO2 scrubbers are good... but they're usually used for diving decompression chambers, from what I can find out. I don't think you will need to lay a concrete pad down as they only weigh about 30-40 lbs when fully loaded with scrubbing chemicals. You may need to use an array of them for your house. Maybe 20 or so. They would be ideal for use in a closed shelter though as that is what they are primarily designed for.

There aren't too many on the market yet...but I think there will be a lot of scrubbers coming out soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The carbon monoxide threat is very real and can come from your furnace, gas stove and fireplace... as well as your plants. Just remember to avoid the common error of locating the device high on a wall or on the ceiling. CO is a colorless, odorless poisonous gas but it is heavier than air at normal room humidity... so you need to place the detectors on the floor, preferably away from walls, in an open location. If you place them on the ceiling... the whole house may be saturated with carbon monoxide before the detector goes off.
Actually the vapor density of CO is 0.96 , In other words very close to air. It will float around high and low in a regular house with the air currents. It is very hard to predict where it will not concentrate. I recommend to have some monitors high and some low. By the way, if your detector is older than 5 years it is pretty useless. Get a new one with a digital readout that will tell you the parts per million. Home Depot sells them for around $50.

Oh, and human or even dog feces in your compost bin is not a good idea in an urban environment. You will be breeding disease. If you insist on doing this read the Humanure Handbook first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buying plants from a Big Box Chain is dangerous for many reasons, not the least of which is that they are produced in seedling mills where genetic purification is taking place. I wouldn't have one near my home. Go into the woods for your house plants if possible, and get your food plants from somewhere such as: http://www.naturalgardening.com/...tools&group=sale It is hard to get wild plants to thrive out of their environment, but it can be done. You can also be sure that there wont be any animal genes or other mutations in them like: http://www.sciencentral.com/...article_id=218392477 I don't mess around with any "science" like that. It is all government funded, and you can bet that it will make you nothing but more tired and docile.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The carbon monoxide threat is very real and can come from your furnace, gas stove and fireplace... as well as your plants. Just remember to avoid the common error of locating the device high on a wall or on the ceiling. CO is a colorless, odorless poisonous gas but it is heavier than air at normal room humidity... so you need to place the detectors on the floor, preferably away from walls, in an open location. If you place them on the ceiling... the whole house may be saturated with carbon monoxide before the detector goes off.
Actually the vapor density of CO is 0.96 , In other words very close to air. It will float around high and low in a regular house with the air currents. It is very hard to predict where it will not concentrate. I recommend to have some monitors high and some low. By the way, if your detector is older than 5 years it is pretty useless. Get a new one with a digital readout that will tell you the parts per million. Home Depot sells them for around $50.

Oh, and human or even dog feces in your compost bin is not a good idea in an urban environment. You will be breeding disease. If you insist on doing this read the Humanure Handbook first.
Okay..now you are scaring me a bit. I was told that it was heavier than the atmosphere at sea level by the, would you believe it, Home Depot "expert". I didn't even think to cross-check. I have all my detectors on the floor. Thanks for the heads-up in any case. At least if I need to move them higher... they won't be getting in the way so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

When I did this several years back (I don't do it any more... too much hassle I found) the compost bin was on the opposite side of the house from our BBQ outdoor area. So the smell wasn't a problem when we were out relaxing/eating in our yard. The side of the house that the compost bin was on was useless for anything else other than our air conditioning unit anyway as there was only about 5 feet clearance to the neighbor's fence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Buying plants from a Big Box Chain is dangerous for many reasons, not the least of which is that they are produced in seedling mills where genetic purification is taking place. I wouldn't have one near my home. Go into the woods for your house plants if possible, and get your food plants from somewhere such as: http://www.naturalgardening.com/...tools&group=sale It is hard to get wild plants to thrive out of their environment, but it can be done. You can also be sure that there wont be any animal genes or other mutations in them like: http://www.sciencentral.com/...article_id=218392477 I don't mess around with any "science" like that. It is all government funded, and you can bet that it will make you nothing but more tired and docile.
About the only luck I've had with harvesting natural plants for houseplant use is, believe it or not, woodland ferns. They didn't grow too well though. The biggest problem is that most houseplants need to be tropical as tropical plants can withstand the lower light conditions and aren't seasonal. You may find some on the Gulf Coast that are suitable, but most are not suitable I think.

Natural plants for your outdoor garden are a different story though and I fully agree with you. They have more resistance to pests and weather as well.

I didn't realize that genetic alteration was going on in the wholesale sources for nurseries. I am totally against this too. Very passionately against it. If you are interested in doing something about this together, that will hurt these plant mills somehow, you can send me a private message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am opening the windows again tonight until I get this resolved. Heading to the library tomorrow to figure out where I should put the CO2 detectors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you are interested in doing something about this together, that will hurt these plant mills somehow, you can send me a private message.
Now you are scaring me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you are interested in doing something about this together, that will hurt these plant mills somehow, you can send me a private message.
Now you are scaring me.
I didn't mean anything criminal of course. Maybe just organizing demonstrations or petitions to congress just thinking off the top of my head. However I've not done anything about genetic produce farming yet so I am probably just waffling with little follow through. DBT just seemed like he has very similar views to me and sees some of the same threats judging by his construction of his home WMD shelter. I think a lot of us are on the same page with these threats in any case but haven't acted on them. DBT has taken some action despite the obvious expense. However, until you start talking more privately, you can never really know a guy. He is probably completely turned off now by this post.
Last edited by: Bro Dull: Jul 15, 08 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you know that there is a fungus under the soil of Wisconsin, covering hundreds of square miles, and that it is the same organism? Is this merely the wonder of nature, or government experimentation gone horribly awry? Perhaps the government is breeding plants in the seed mills that will easily succomb to the WI fungus? Not sound like a rabble-rouser, but perhaps we should stock up on antifungals (by the pallet, I know people in commercial distribution) and find a suitable site for a freehold?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you know that there is a fungus under the soil of Wisconsin, covering hundreds of square miles, and that it is the same organism? Is this merely the wonder of nature, or government experimentation gone horribly awry? Perhaps the government is breeding plants in the seed mills that will easily succomb to the WI fungus? Not sound like a rabble-rouser, but perhaps we should stock up on antifungals (by the pallet, I know people in commercial distribution) and find a suitable site for a freehold?
Okay... that scares me somewhat... Do you have any web links?
Quote Reply

Prev Next