Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Bro Dull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Cool. Would a fan do the same thing as an ionizer?
The fan is useful when you are on the trainer... for keeping you cool. It doesn't detoxify the air or remove impurities however. And please don't put the plant in the path of the air being blown by the fan. The effect of constant wind stress (which is highly unatural) is very distressing to the plant. Remember plants are living things that can only talk to you by getting sick or being healthy. Constant wind fan stress tortures a plant. This has been evident from trial and error among indoor plant owners and horticulturalists over decades. The plants nearly always go into a distressed/sick state. Don't do it. But the fan on you instead of the plant is fine. You still will need the ionizing air purifier/filter.
Why would I put the fan on me if my ions were all out of kilter. But I hear what you are saying about the plant stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you have a picture of a Boston and a ficus together? I am trying to get a sense.
I don't like the arrangement but this can give you an idea. This is a relatively small ficus.

I agree. There is no balance or rhythm in the arrangement. Its just thrown together. I am thinking that the ficus is going to be a center piece with the ferns being accents. I am a bit stumped because I am inclined to put the ferns up high. But that would really create asymmetry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While on the subject of indoor plants... there are two things which I do which I have found from my experience, really help to make happy plants. First of all, the tropical plants like ficus and ferns like an acidic type soil. There are additives you can buy... but I have found the best acid to add is tannic acid... and I use used tea leaves to give the plants this nourishment. Lipton tea bags opened up are good (the leaves are ground and absorb better). The tea leaves are also good food for your roses and azaleas outside.

The other thing I do, which I'm a little self-conscious about revealing... is that I massage my plants. I usually just lightly rub the leaves (making sure to go in the direction towards the stem during the night, and away from the leaf stem during the day). For small trees like the ficus... I will start the massage at the base of the trunk and lightly caress the trunk bark and limbs... until I get to the ends of the limbs... then I move to the leaves. I don't have time usually to do all the leaves... but as many as I can. I have noticed that the plants respond very well to this treatment and the limbs and leaf stalks seem stronger and stiffer as a result of the treatment. I know there is no scientific evidence for this AFAIK, but it seems to help for me.
Last edited by: Bro Dull: Jul 14, 08 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Jeff Vader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had some Boston ferns on the back porch for a while in baskets, but I ended up getting rid of them because they shed leaves like a mofo.

How about a nice spider plant? They're the one kind of indoor plant I've had good luck with over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you have a picture of a Boston and a ficus together? I am trying to get a sense.
I don't like the arrangement but this can give you an idea. This is a relatively small ficus.

I agree. There is no balance or rhythm in the arrangement. Its just thrown together. I am thinking that the ficus is going to be a center piece with the ferns being accents. I am a bit stumped because I am inclined to put the ferns up high. But that would really create asymmetry.
Arrangement is a whole new huge subject. I agree with your instincts. Whatever you do... stick to odd numbers of plants... be aware of the light needs of the plant. Think balance (I think you already know that judging by your asymetry comment). If you can raise the ferns above the floor... especially boston ferns with hanging fronds... it is good IMHO. It also helps the plant to avoid being eaten by a cat or a small child if you ever get a cat in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Had some Boston ferns on the back porch for a while in baskets, but I ended up getting rid of them because they shed leaves like a mofo.

How about a nice spider plant? They're the one kind of indoor plant I've had good luck with over the years.
Oh a spider plant opens up a whole new world of possibilities. 'thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Arrangement is a whole new huge subject. I agree with your instincts. Whatever you do... stick to odd numbers of plants... be aware of the light needs of the plant. Think balance (I think you already know that judging by your asymetry comment). If you can raise the ferns above the floor... especially boston ferns with hanging fronds... it is good IMHO. It also helps the plant to avoid being eaten by a cat or a small child if you ever get a cat in the future.
I am allergic to cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Good suggestion. I agree. Forgot about the spider. Watch out for mycotoxins and vomitoxins though. Shouldn't be a problem though if the room is large enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
While on the subject of indoor plants... there are two things which I do which I have found from my experience, really help to make happy plants. First of all, the tropical plants like ficus and ferns like an acidic type soil. There are additives you can buy... but I have found the best acid to add is tannic acid... and I use used tea leaves to give the plants this nourishment. Lipton tea bags opened up are good (the leaves are ground and absorb better). The tea leaves are also good food for your roses and azaleas outside.

The other thing I do, which I'm a little self-conscious about revealing... is that I massage my plants. I usually just lightly rub the leaves (making sure to go in the direction towards the stem during the night, and away from the leaf stem during the day). For small trees like the ficus... I will start the massage at the base of the trunk and lightly caress the trunk bark and limbs... until I get to the ends of the limbs... then I move to the leaves. I don't have time usually to do all the leaves... but as many as I can. I have noticed that the plants respond very well to this treatment and the limbs and leaf stalks seem stronger and stiffer as a result of the treatment. I know there is no scientific evidence for this AFAIK, but it seems to help for me.
I would never use Lipton. The stuff comes from really third rate estates mainly in Africa. The tannons in Lipton are really seriously way out to lunch. I prefer a nice Fujian or Yunnan. I know many people dig the darjeerlings but I find them a bit greenish for my taste. Lately I've been doing a nice Ceylon/Sri Lanka with a scoop of single estate Assam for my iced tea. People think I am crazy for throwing Assam into the mix. I just think it provides some well needed earthy-ness. I do stay away from the chinese teas for iced tea. The chocolaty overtones are a bit much for the summer. You know, iced tea is supposed to be refreshing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Good suggestion. I agree. Forgot about the spider. Watch out for mycotoxins and vomitoxins though. Shouldn't be a problem though if the room is large enough.
Are you sure about the toxins not being a problem. I think the room is about mid-sized. I want to make sure that we are on the same page about room size. Its about as big as the back bedroom on the second floor. Is that big enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I am allergic to cats.
Then you should be aware of small child risk. Children love to pull boston fern fronds and deleaf them or just eat them. The best ways to stop this is to raise your ferns out of reach. If your ferns are left within reach of your young infant.... keeping your young kids well fed would probably help... especially with enough nitrogen in the diet... because I assume it is the nitrogen that the child is seeking in the leaves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would never use Lipton. The stuff comes from really third rate estates mainly in Africa. The tannons in Lipton are really seriously way out to lunch. I prefer a nice Fujian or Yunnan. I know many people dig the darjeerlings but I find them a bit greenish for my taste. Lately I've been doing a nice Ceylon/Sri Lanka with a scoop of single estate Assam for my iced tea. People think I am crazy for throwing Assam into the mix. I just think it provides some well needed earthy-ness. I do stay away from the chinese teas for iced tea. The chocolaty overtones are a bit much for the summer. You know, iced tea is supposed to be refreshing.
You sound like you know your teas. I think they will all be fine for your plants. As far as personal taste goes... I usually drink Queen Elizabeth tea when I am drinking tea with friends at home. I am not a fan of earl grey despite its popularity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"First time lonely guy?"

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I am allergic to cats.
Then you should be aware of small child risk. Children love to pull boston fern fronds and deleaf them or just eat them. The best ways to stop this is to raise your ferns out of reach. If your ferns are left within reach of your young infant.... keeping your young kids well fed would probably help... especially with enough nitrogen in the diet... because I assume it is the nitrogen that the child is seeking in the leaves.
Do the kids go for the tuberous with the same type of vigor as the Boston?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Are you sure about the toxins not being a problem. I think the room is about mid-sized. I want to make sure that we are on the same page about room size. Its about as big as the back bedroom on the second floor. Is that big enough?
I'm not sure how big your room is on the second floor? If it is about mid-sized then your training room is probably big enough. It gets to be a problem when the room is smaller than about 20ft x 20ft without any circulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree about the Earl Grey...and even the Lapschong Sooschong for that matter. Tea is so wonderful by itself that there is no need to flavor. I know I am in the minority here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I'm not sure how big your room is on the second floor? If it is about mid-sized then your training room is probably big enough. It gets to be a problem when the room is smaller than about 20ft x 20ft without any circulation.
I don't know what that is in metric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I am allergic to cats.
Do the kids go for the tuberous with the same type of vigor as the Boston?
The tuberous sword has upright fronds so is more difficult for a child to eat. Having said that... it is advisable to leave the tuberous sword on the floor due to it's shape.... so the risk is higher of being eaten in that case. This is only an issue if you have young kids in the room though. I don't know if you have young kids or even if you did... it would be easier to keep them out of the room.
Last edited by: Bro Dull: Jul 14, 08 19:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what I am thinkng. The tuberous might help with my balance and symmetry problems. It might be worth the poisoning risk if that increased risk is only marginal.

Would you still think that odd numbers of plants are the way to go if I threw in some spiders. I don't really want to go overboard but spider plants are beckoning to me now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I don't know what that is in metric.
I checked an online conversion site... but you can do this yourself. It's 6096 mm x 6096mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You know what I am thinkng. The tuberous might help with my balance and symmetry problems. It might be worth the poisoning risk if that increased risk is only marginal.

Would you still think that odd numbers of plants are the way to go if I threw in some spiders. I don't really want to go overboard but spider plants are beckoning to me now.
You sound like me before I got into the horticulture hobby. Stay away from plant nurseries!!! I can't resist bringing a new pet home every time I go to one.

The spiders are a great plant to add as a filler...and they'll even work outside. You can hang them or sit them. But always check them for spiders. They attract spiders to nest at the base of their leaves near the crown and this is how they got their name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I thought they got the name because they look like spiders with all those legs. Learn something new everyday.

You don't have to warn me about nurseries. I know the dangers already!!!! Can't pass one without stopping in and picking something up.

Of course the CO2 issue now has me worried. Should I be moving the really big plants outside at night or just get a CO2 detector. Does the switch over from ozygen to CO2 take place after sundown or at bedtime?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Really? I thought they got the name because they look like spiders with all those legs. Learn something new everyday.

You don't have to warn me about nurseries. I know the dangers already!!!! Can't pass one without stopping in and picking something up.

Of course the CO2 issue now has me worried. Should I be moving the really big plants outside at night or just get a CO2 detector. Does the switch over from ozygen to CO2 take place after sundown or at bedtime?
Well you know that spiders have eight legs right?

Moving the plants stresses out the plants. The best thing to do I think is to either train just in the daytime... or have another place in the house to train at night.

AFAIK the transition from oxygen emission to CO2 emission occurs at the instant of sunset... but I'm not absolutely sure. One way I've heard to delay the process is to keep the room well lit after sunset. Apparently this can delay the transfer process. You may sleep more comfortably with the lights on as well... if you feel that the plants won't be producing CO2 while you're sleeping. I have never worried about this though... because I don't have too many plants in the bedroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while informative and helpful, you two do realize how gay this conversation is... right?
Quote Reply

Prev Next