Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Jeff Vader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hide Thyself Under a Fern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff... What's happening with your workout space?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am thinking about a career change to mixed martial arts. Do they have professional masters categories?
I think you need to be properly qualified to enter. Don't go to these suburban karate shops IMHO. Get a proper Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Martial Arts.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [Cliff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jeff... What's happening with your workout space?
The linoleum is being laid today and tomorrow. Then I am going to concentrate on the wallcovering. So, the fauna is at least two weeks away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I am thinking about a career change to mixed martial arts. Do they have professional masters categories?
I think you need to be properly qualified to enter. Don't go to these suburban karate shops IMHO. Get a proper Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Martial Arts.
The qualifications are there. I spent many years studying greco-roman under Hayden and Gary Evans in Kingston, Pa. I just want to fight people my own age. So, I am reluctant to do it unless there is a masters professional category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fauna is at least two weeks away.

Your putting a zoo in your workout space? Won't that, ummm, smell a little funky? If I were you, I'd put a nice fern in there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 21, 08 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be OK if you kept some midgets. I hear they housebreak well.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It would be OK if you kept some midgets. I hear they housebreak well.
Midget Ferns?... LOL... I think you mean "Dwarf Ferns".
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Your putting a zoo in your workout space? Won't that, ummm, smell a little funky? If I were you, I'd put a nice fern in there.
Hey Jason. Just noticed your signature line. You used to collect butterflies too? Small world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hey Jason. Just noticed your signature line. You used to collect butterflies too? Small world.
I once collected beetles. It was a good hobby to have for a single person... but I probably wouldn't recommend it if you have a partner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean the insect and not the band?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear Japanese beetles really screw things up for the rest.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. There really are some beautiful beetles in this world. Actually many beautiful insects for that matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I meant the insects... but I collected music by the Beatles as well... because of the similarity in name. I even titled my favorite entomology/coleoptera display box "Beetlemania". LOL. I set it up with four large beetles at the top mimicking the Beatles on stage (four different sub-species of Rhinoceros beetle) and all the smaller beetles beneath were the concert audience. Most people didn't get it until I told them.

Did you know that beetles make up 40% of all insects?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hear Japanese beetles really screw things up for the rest.
Japanese beetles are a big problem to agriculture in eastern US. In Japan, their natural predator is the Winsome Fly... but in the US... they don't have any predators that can prey on the beetle enough to quell their explosive breeding rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I meant the insects... but I collected music by the Beatles as well... because of the similarity in name. I even titled my favorite entomology/coleoptera display box "Beetlemania". LOL. I set it up with four large beetles at the top mimicking the Beatles on stage (four different sub-species of Rhinoceros beetle) and all the smaller beetles beneath were the concert audience. Most people didn't get it until I told them.

Did you know that beetles make up 40% of all insects?
I thought it was more like 38.7%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tuberous sword is withering. I think it may be the nitrogen ratios. The ficus and the boston are blossoming. Can somebody help me? Do you think it is my nitrogen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. You've obviously learned a lot. Good chance it is your soil and nitrogen ratio. But there are many other things as possible causes. I'm interested in where you have the plants located in the room. Not just for light concerns. I'm thinking air flow... and quite possibly plant envy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with you on this. Didn't think about the plant envy. But I've kept the ferns away from the draft from the ceiling fan by installing a baffle from Home Depot.

What type of plants do the ferns envy? Would it be good enough to just isolate them or is some socialization important? I should note that for aesthetic reasons I don't want to re-arrange much if possible because I've finally found a good balance. But I'd hate to think that I am jeopardizing the health and safety of my plants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're swimfan, aren't you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you have a picture of a Boston and a ficus together? I am trying to get a sense.
I don't like the arrangement but this can give you an idea. This is a relatively small ficus.

I agree. There is no balance or rhythm in the arrangement. Its just thrown together. I am thinking that the ficus is going to be a center piece with the ferns being accents. I am a bit stumped because I am inclined to put the ferns up high. But that would really create asymmetry.
Arrangement is a whole new huge subject. I agree with your instincts. Whatever you do... stick to odd numbers of plants... be aware of the light needs of the plant. Think balance (I think you already know that judging by your asymetry comment). If you can raise the ferns above the floor... especially boston ferns with hanging fronds... it is good IMHO. It also helps the plant to avoid being eaten by a cat or a small child if you ever get a cat in the future.
Cliff. I think I glossed over this the first time. I forgot that you wanted me to keep odd numbers. I was thinking that symmetry required pairs. I guess there could be symmetry with a triangle or hexagon. What was I thinking? Are odd numbers really that important? Can this be the root of our problems?
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No. Truth be told. I am not a swimmer. So, I guess I am not a true triathlete because I only do one of the sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
No. Truth be told. I am not a swimmer. So, I guess I am not a true triathlete because I only do one of the sports.
DONT INSULT ME!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about a fern for my workout space [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
DONT INSULT ME!!!
I am sorry. I didn't mean to insult you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next