Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things I must do in Lake Placid ?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are heading to lake placid to watch several friends do the race this coming weekend. I'm going to use it as an opportunity to scout the race for next year as well as figure out how to turn it into a family vacation. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to eat or hikes I shouldn't miss out on. Or just anything else in general that is a must do when you're in lake placid.

Also we are going to try and get some good pictures of our friends that are racing we have no idea how it's going to go but if any other slowtwitchers want to personal message me with their bib number if I come across you we'll do our best to get something decent.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jul 23, 19 3:46
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The olympic museum is cool. It's kinda small but I thought it was worth it. Not sure if the ski jumps are open this time of year but those are pretty awesome to check out. Enjoy!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two hikes I've enjoyed out there, Whiteface and Cascade Mtn. The ski jumps should be open for tours and if you're lucky you'll get to see some training jumps into the pools near by. Swim in Mirror Lake, or take out a SUP with the kids. Adirondack Wildlife Refuge in Wilmington was also interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride your bike. That is what you must do.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ride the bobsleds, albeit not on ice. That was pretty cool, my teenage boys enjoyed it. We found a sinkhole with some good jumps somewhere near AuSable (not a paid thing, parked on road and trotted down the hill through the woods). Might have to Google it. Was pretty fun jumping from cliffs, not super high, but water was very nice and cool. Would also recommend swimming in Mirror Lake. They also have a roped off area for the kids and adults. We also went on Lake Placid the day after and did water tubing by boat. They pulled my kids around the lake and they also got to try out wake boarding and water skiing (Google that as well). My kids really enjoyed that.

Plenty of food places along Mirror Lake to enjoy.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a Lake Placid boat tour that is located right in between the north shore of Mirror Lake / south shore Lake Placid that was surprisingly very fun. Super relaxing and got a good history lesson from the guide about the lake and neighboring areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
My wife and I are heading to lake placid to watch several friends do the race this coming weekend. I'm going to use it as an opportunity to scout the race for next year as well as figure out how to turn it into a family vacation. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to eat or hikes I shouldn't miss out on. Or just anything else in general that is a must do when you're in lake placid.

Also we are going to try and get some good pictures of our friends that are racing we have no idea how it's going to go but if any other slowtwitchers want to personal message me with their bib number if I come across you we'll do our best to get something decent.

Go swim in Mirror Lake obviously. It's open to the public to swim any time that isn't race time. And the course is always set with a buoy line. (I'll be there swimming on race day after everyone else is out of the water and after I get my long run in).

My favorite places to eat in town are the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery (where I will find myself at the bar on Thursday evening most likely), Big Slide Brewery, Smoke Signals, Liquids and Solids. There are more, but I would end up just making a big list. But those are my favorites.

On race day, for spectating the bike, walk out to the top of Papa Bear (it's less than a mile away from the transition area). It's a great place to cheer/heckle the cyclists coming up that last hill.

I'll be hanging around the area (probably drinking beer outside the pub) all day. PM me if you want to meet up - I can give you a solid first hand description of every bump, hill, and turn on this course (I have a cabin in Jay, right off the bike course, so I know the area really well)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive up to the top of Whiteface mountain - very picturesque ; get a crepe at Big Mountain Deli and Creperie on Main St (they have every type of crepe you can imagine from breakfast/dinner/desert crepes -- they're really good!) ; if you have "young kids", age 3 to 7 yrs old, visit the North Pole - Santa's workshop just a 15-minute drive and it's off the bike course ; cycle the Bears!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question (don't mean to hijack the thread) -

Does anyone know what the big wooden ramp by mirror lake is used for? We were talking about it the other day.
I can't recall it's purpose.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:

Does anyone know what the big wooden ramp by mirror lake is used for? We were talking about it the other day.

Ski jumping.

However, the ski tech has evolved such that those cannot be used anymore, as the skiers "fly" too far now, and would basically land down by the road. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Drive up to the top of Whiteface mountain - very picturesque ; get a crepe at Big Mountain Deli and Creperie on Main St (they have every type of crepe you can imagine from breakfast/dinner/desert crepes -- they're really good!) ; if you have "young kids", age 3 to 7 yrs old, visit the North Pole - Santa's workshop just a 15-minute drive and it's off the bike course ; cycle the Bears!!

RIDE to the top of Whiteface Mountain. Seriously, it's a bucket list to-do item for any avid cyclist.

You could have the fam meet you up there if you want to do the touristy thing.
But even then RIDE BACK DOWN also - it's AWESOME.

Ice cream from Emma's.

Adirondack brewery is as good as LP, food better/more expensive.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

RIDE to the top of Whiteface Mountain. Seriously, it's a bucket list to-do item for any avid cyclist.

Did that last week

That was some climb.

Only top 100 USA cycling climb in NY State.

Dont forget $11 for the toll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Don_W wrote:

Ski jumping.

However, the ski tech has evolved such that those cannot be used anymore, as the skiers "fly" too far now, and would basically land down by the road. ;-)

I think he means the wooden ramp that goes INTO Mirror Lake. It's for tobogganing across the lake when its frozen. In the winter you can go up the ramp and slide almost all the way across the lake (it's a good long walk back)
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Don_W wrote:

Ski jumping.

I think he means the wooden ramp that goes INTO Mirror Lake. It's for tobogganing across the lake when its frozen. In the winter you can go up the ramp and slide almost all the way across the lake (it's a good long walk back)

Ah, my bad. Misread / misunderstood the Q.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you able to see the ski jumps without doing a tour?
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Did that last week

That was some climb.

Only top 100 USA cycling climb in NY State.

Dont forget $11 for the toll.

IF you go very early, or late, you don't have to pay the toll.
Just duck the gate.

I've done that like a dozen times now, and this year was the first time I ever paid the toll, specifically because I wanted to come down while the toll gate was open.
But, as long as you don't mind the brief dismount and duck move - it's FREE that way.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [tallytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallytom wrote:
We found a sinkhole with some good jumps somewhere near AuSable (not a paid thing, parked on road and trotted down the hill through the woods). Might have to Google it. Was pretty fun jumping from cliffs, not super high, but water was very nice and cool. .

Sounds like Flume Falls near Wilmington. We spent just about every evening there when we visited. Teen kids loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really, really should go to Tail o' the Pup on the way out to Saranac Lake. It's outstanding.

Wyatt's in town also has fantastic burritos.

Personally, I like the little hike out to Owen Pond, but that's because there's a big connection to our family.

I'm 1624 and pretty easy to spot in my Sonic Endurance / Owen Otter Smashfest Queen kit. Just don't tell me I look good, or that I'm close to finishing, unless you're on the Oval.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"On race day, for spectating the bike, walk out to the top of Papa Bear (it's less than a mile away from the transition area). It's a great place to cheer/heckle the cyclists coming up that last hill"

Great location for spectating due to the slow speed of the riders on the incline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo what others have said as far as bringing your bike. Do some course recon where you are planning on racing next year and even go exploring on some of the other roads in the surrounding area that aren't part of the race. If feeling really adventurous, ride up Whiteface.

Eats - Lake Placid Pub Brewery by Mirror Lake is a must; they own Big Slide on 73 near the airport/ski jumps as well and the food and beer are great at both. I was just there two weeks ago and stocked up on the UBU brown ale for my beer fridge at home. Soul Shine Bagels on Main St. is also a favorite, you can expect a huge line on race morning once the swim is done as all the breakfast/coffee shops in town fill up quick.

Other touristy things to do - drive up Whiteface, awesome views on a clear day. Ski jumps are also cool. The Olympic Arena is always a pilgrimage for me where the Miracle on Ice is one of the defining memories of my childhood.

Outside of town, Ausable Chasm is worth the drive, as is the Adirondack Experience out by Blue Mountain Lake. You can also swing by Big Tupper Brewing in Tupper Lake to sample their wares.

LP is my happy place. Enjoy!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Jul 24, 19 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Don W wrote:

Thanks for that. I heard it was a gift to the town or something. Is it super old and rarely used today? It's just kind of an odd structure. Actually, I found some more detail along with a video:

http://www.northelba.org/...trict/toboggan-chute

- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jul 23, 19 22:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

You could have the fam meet you up there if you want to do the touristy thing.
But even then RIDE BACK DOWN also - it's AWESOME.

I rode up that twice in bike races, after about 70 miles to the base. It was hard.

Never ridden down the toll portion.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [tallytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallytom wrote:
You can ride the bobsleds, albeit not on ice. That was pretty cool, my teenage boys enjoyed it. We found a sinkhole with some good jumps somewhere near AuSable (not a paid thing, parked on road and trotted down the hill through the woods). Might have to Google it. Was pretty fun jumping from cliffs, not super high, but water was very nice and cool. Would also recommend swimming in Mirror Lake. They also have a roped off area for the kids and adults. We also went on Lake Placid the day after and did water tubing by boat. They pulled my kids around the lake and they also got to try out wake boarding and water skiing (Google that as well). My kids really enjoyed that.

Plenty of food places along Mirror Lake to enjoy.

Tom

Got some details about that spot near AuSable?
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoodoo wrote:

I think it was referring to this:

https://seeswim.com/location/flume-falls/
Quote Reply
Re: Things I must do in Lake Placid ? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ! I think this is right by the Koa campground where we camp.

Thom wrote:
Hoodoo wrote:

I think it was referring to this:

https://seeswim.com/location/flume-falls/
Quote Reply