Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position?
Quote | Reply
I've had the same TT position for a couple of years. For the majority of this time I've been able to ride it with no issues, but I have some periods where the top of my thighs hit my chest and I really struggle to get my normal power out. It feels to me like I am being limited by my biomechanics rather than fitness when this is the case, and it is most noticeable at higher powers. This happens independently of how much time I have been spending on the TT bike.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this, and what I should be doing to remedy it? I'd rather find a solution to the issue rather than adjust the bike if possible, as I've had some good results with the position when not having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [mitochondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a suggestion, rather a question: are you M or F and would changing hormones impact chest (breast?) size? I mean, it sounds like something phisiological changed about your fit. Did you get a new saddle that allows you to rotate your pelvis more than you could at your prior fit adjustment?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [mitochondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank length? Photos of your position with knees at maximum flexion/top of pedal stroke?
Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your fit sucks. Too stretched out on the front end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't changed your fit then is it possible that you are starting to point your toes down while riding?

Can you consciously try to lower your heel while riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without seeing a pic/vid and assuming saddle height is correct and drop is appropriate, your hip angle is too closed. If this is the case, you’ll need to push your saddle forward (depending on current effective seat angle) and/or switch to a shorter crank. Note that these changes have an impact on your other fit coordinates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:
I've had the same TT position for a couple of years. For the majority of this time I've been able to ride it with no issues, but I have some periods where the top of my thighs hit my chest and I really struggle to get my normal power out. It feels to me like I am being limited by my biomechanics rather than fitness when this is the case, and it is most noticeable at higher powers. This happens independently of how much time I have been spending on the TT bike.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this, and what I should be doing to remedy it? I'd rather find a solution to the issue rather than adjust the bike if possible, as I've had some good results with the position when not having issues.

This was pretty much how I always rode until I got fit at CycloLogic a few years back. My bottom two ribs flare out so my quads hit my ribs. The solution was to get custom 13cm risers for my Shiv TT and to switch from 172.5 to 165 cranks. I’m not exactly the most aero in the position but I can hold the power for a bit since I’m not knocking my ribs every pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are you replying to? I'd further assert that you're incorrect regardless and that most people (with very few exceptions) would benefit from more reach a la Eric Reid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the quick answer is it sounds like shorter cranks are in order, but. I also find that flexibility plays a big role in fit. I am not very flexible, but when I stick to a Yoga routine my “normal” position feels too short and the seat height too low.

I have ridden and been fit on 54cm bikes for 10-15 years. After a couple years of yoga my seat height has come up 1cm and stem length has gotten 1cm longer. I am now getting really close to being a better fit on a 56.
Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I don't have a suggestion, rather a question: are you M or F and would changing hormones impact chest (breast?) size? I mean, it sounds like something phisiological changed about your fit. Did you get a new saddle that allows you to rotate your pelvis more than you could at your prior fit adjustment?

It's my thighs hitting the bottom of my ribs. Same saddle, all contact points unchanged.

jaretj wrote:
If you haven't changed your fit then is it possible that you are starting to point your toes down while riding?

Yes, this is very possible. Any ideas what would cause me to start doing that?

To make my problem more clear - I rode the bike last week and was fine (thighs did not hit ribs). Didn't change anything. Rode it this morning, and my thighs were hitting my ribs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To make my problem more clear - I rode the bike last week and was fine (thighs did not hit ribs). Didn't change anything. Rode it this morning, and my thighs were hitting my ribs.

This thread is pretty worthless without pics.
You may not have been sitting in the exact same place, you may be holding your upper body differently etc

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Thighs intermittently hitting chest in TT position? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was fine, you didn't touch it, but it does this now.......is it possible a clamp somewhere has slipped that you didn't notice? Seat clamp loose and seat dropped down after a bad bump on the road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

It's my thighs hitting the bottom of my ribs. Same saddle, all contact points unchanged.

jaretj wrote:

Yes, this is very possible. Any ideas what would cause me to start doing that?

Is it possible that you seat-post may have slipped? Do you remember hitting any potholes?
Quote Reply