Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I want to add this to my race list next season. Looks like an incredible location, I've had a few friends work at a camp there for a few summers and they loved it. I'm sure I could race this off just tri training but I'm still honestly scared I might want to start only racing swim-run and I still do like triathlon!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an awesome venue. I ran the Catalina Eco-marathon once and the views are spectacular. But any way you go the course will be very tough.
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word also has it that Ödyssey Orcas Island in Washington State is spectacular, and that is why I signed up for that race in September.
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked in both the towns over there for years, actually lived on the island for a winter once. And of course I put on the original Catalina Triathlon back in the mid 80's, so I know just about every trail and cool spot on that island. I will be very interested to see the actual courses they choose. It is even possible that one of the swims could be a surf swim, there is a little break on the back side called sharks cove. That's right people, it is the open ocean!!

I want to do this race for sure, all the lifeguards will be friends of mine no doubt. Still wish they had a masters category(60+) for these, but they are what they are..
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll partner up with you, Monty!
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll partner up with you, Monty! //

All righty!! We will have to strengthen up the rope that you pull me through the course with, I will have to get some bigger paddles too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I worked in both the towns over there for years, actually lived on the island for a winter once. And of course I put on the original Catalina Triathlon back in the mid 80's, so I know just about every trail and cool spot on that island. I will be very interested to see the actual courses they choose. It is even possible that one of the swims could be a surf swim, there is a little break on the back side called sharks cove. That's right people, it is the open ocean!!

I want to do this race for sure, all the lifeguards will be friends of mine no doubt. Still wish they had a masters category(60+) for these, but they are what they are..
Hey Monty:
What do you think the water temp will be in late Feb, early March?
And what about the large sea-going animals that call those waters home?
Asking for a friend.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say mid to high 50's, could be low 60's. The water in the channel has been really weird this past decade, and kind of unpredictable. Just look at half speed's Orange County swim this week, it was 53, I was trunking sano a month before at 65..

San Clemente island further out is more known for whitey, lots of seal rookeries out there. Catalina channel has always been one of those spots like Alcrataz, lots of talk of sharks, but not really much action. I'm not aware of any problem out there, surfed the backside a bunch in the day. But that other island, I would catch a few waves and get right back on the boat, getting up the courage to go out again for 15 minutes at a time..Didnt want them getting a bead on the clumsy seal out there, the one moving slower than all the rest...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems, buddy:)
I know you can hold your own in the water!
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, if Jonas falls through, Ill gladly partner with you as welll!

Karen, water in Feb will be 57-58.

58 is the magic temp the tanker WSB show up at, and barring any odd years, that's mid feb. Us spearos worship that number.

Unfortunately, GWS also follow that time frame, so Morris and friends will be cruising the area too, but Otillo Catalina people shouldn't worry much. Odds of getting nipped are pretty small
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an idea if registration for these is competitive for the other locations? i.e. will it sell out on the day it opens?
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it will sell out in a day
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can certainly do these races off of triathlon training. like with anything, once you do your first, you'll figure out areas where you can improve.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt it will sell out in a day//

Which brings up a good point, do they have field limits? I mean, if it is an open course on trails, I would think you could handle a lot of folks, never mind having a couple starts to improve those numbers. Are most races limited, and if so, what are the numbers that you normally see let in??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of these races have field limits. It really depends on the course how many are allowed. Plus this Otillo one has 3 distances plus solo options. Our race which is only teams and long course usually sells out in a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas, oh yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the registration likely to be? I just checked the Otillo website but there's not much news yet.
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the registration likely to be? I just checked the Otillo website but there's not much news yet. //

I have no clue to any details of this race, other than the tiny bit they have on the website. I have reached out to some lifeguard friends to see if any of them might know of the proposed course. There isn't much variety they can choose from starting in two harbors, but I'm just wondering if they plan on doing most if not all of the race on one side or the other.
Quote Reply
Re: There is now an ÖTILLÖ World Series race in California [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have several other big races in Europe starting with a big swim heavy Otillo Isles of Scilly in the UK and next month the magnificent Otillo Engadin in Switzerland.

I am sure details will be added soon. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
What's the registration likely to be? I just checked the Otillo website but there's not much news yet.

July 10th

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply