Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They held a race two weeks ago as well.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
What is your point? Yes a triathlon was run, the hitch happens a few weeks from now when some one gets sick from the tri that was run.

Or people look at the tri and say, wow it is safe lets all do what ever we want to do

That was #2 in a series of 4. I did the 1st on 27 June. As far as I am aware no one got sick. It doesn't mean that we can do whatever we want. But it does suggest that a small (200 - 300) triathlon can be held safely. No more, no less.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure the tri was a hit, think this is the issue with the whole thing. We are so networked now that we won't no for sure who is getting Corona where.

As spread is so rampant in Florida no one can contact trace so it's probably a good idea to lockdown not open up disney and do triathlons.

As long as the people doing the tri didn't get sick its all okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprint Distance race in Alabama today. I saw some videos that were posted. There were some athletes wearing masks in the transition area, and there were a lot of signs posted about what you should be doing, other then that, it looked about the same as any other race. Crowded transition, people on top of each other. About 400 entries, and the run was on a 1.5 mile out and back narrow greenway. The thing that surprised me the most, is that they were allowed to even have have the race. We are spiking here big time.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. The GMAN,
Recently I emailed IMAZ team for any updates on the race, and the race is still on, they are offering a Deferral to IMAZ 2021 or other open race, or partial refund.
I also inquired about the race protection purchased and there are options for those that unable to race with proof. https://bookingprotect.com/...navirus-Guidance.pdf
As an AZ resident, it wouldn't surprise me (politics aside) if the race is held or canceled last minute, the options given doesn't seem much of a loss for WTC without total refunds to athletes.

#WTCForTheWIn
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
triczyk wrote:
runbrassica wrote:
I share the same concern and forecast as you; 2020 is through and (in my most optimistic opinion) first half of 2021 is over too

this - 2021 is over until June / July

That's possible. But how do you know that? Honestly asking that question.

Is it your "gut feel"... ie. "don't think things will be better/no vaccine/etc"... or do you know something concrete?

Some people just get it.

I'll leave it to the experts, but thanks for chlming in.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
stevie g wrote:
What is your point? Yes a triathlon was run, the hitch happens a few weeks from now when some one gets sick from the tri that was run.

Or people look at the tri and say, wow it is safe lets all do what ever we want to do

That was #2 in a series of 4. I did the 1st on 27 June. As far as I am aware no one got sick. It doesn't mean that we can do whatever we want. But it does suggest that a small (200 - 300) triathlon can be held safely. No more, no less.

Actually it suggests not much. It’s like saying 30 people drove without a seatbelt, and no one was killed, so suggests seatbelts aren’t really needed.

Survivorship bias in action.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. No one need a seatbelt until you get in an accident. (Pink) 😂😂
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
triczyk wrote:
runbrassica wrote:
I share the same concern and forecast as you; 2020 is through and (in my most optimistic opinion) first half of 2021 is over too

Is it your "gut feel"... ie. "don't think things will be better/no vaccine/etc"... or do you know something concrete?

Some people just get it.

And yet here we are...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
triczyk wrote:
runbrassica wrote:

Some people just get it.

And yet here we are...

The blanket statement in question applied to mid 2021. Not now.

Like I said, will listen to the professionals. Not people who at some point in last decade applied pro to their forum name.

But best of luck to you.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
triczyk wrote:
runbrassica wrote:

Some people just get it.

I'll leave it to the experts, but thanks for chiming in.

And yet here we are...

The blanket statement in question applied to mid 2021. Not now.

Like I said, will listen to the professionals. Not people who at some point in last decade applied pro to their forum name.

But best of luck to you.

Cheers.

I'm not sure what you're disagree with me on this, as I haven't posited an opinion, other than "some people just get it". I'm not commenting on 2021, or that guy's "blanket statement", just how he might say what he said. Some things are more intuitive to some people than others. I can't do math or play the piano... I don't take it personally.

Look, I'm not the guy that is arguing with you, I'm just the guy who is telling you how it is. The "how it is" is not *my* choice or position, and I don't really even want to be the one to have to tell you this... but here we are. This is not controversial, it's just life.

Finally, I don't know which "professionals" you're referring to, but they don't necessarily decide either. Leaders, stakeholders, and "the led" decide... sometimes collectively, sometimes individually. It's complex and complicated.

Better to plan for the worst and hope for the best IMO... if we race then you'll be ready and if we don't you'll also be ready.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this has been answered but I skimmed through and didn't see it...

Will there be any open registration for 2021 events (Wisconsin and Chattanooga in particular) or is the assumption that they've already filled to capacity from deferrals??
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess - races will mostly fill with deferrals (probably like 75% or more) and registration will open for the remaining spots after the race was supposed to take place.

I think it’s going to be tough getting into 2021 races if you don’t have a deferral.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How ridiculous of a thought is it to register for Ironman Texas in Waco this October with no intention of travelling there but instead, hoping for that to be cancelled/postponed and using the deferral to get into another 2021 race?!?! I'm not made of $$ and the gamble would be tough swallow.
Quote Reply
Re: The state of Ironman racing 2020-2021 in the USA [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pacco- I just did the same thing as I had deferred into Madison and just switched to Texas in the hope that it was cancelled so I can get into a different 2021 race option than was previously provided. But, if you are signing up for the first time and shelling out money now, I wouldn't do it- too much at stake with races may not even happening next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next