Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The shot heard around ST, weight training helps??
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [efranko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Where can I reference this-
"Several studies have shown that elite endurance athletes who participated in 8-12 weeks of high-rep, low-weight resistance training (2 days/week) experienced significant improvements in lactate threshold and maximal sprint power output. On average, there was no change in VO2peak. This means that at the end of the 8-12 weeks, these athletes could perform at a higher absolute workload for longer before fatigue set in. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The author of the article needs to read the literature more attentively.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well this, I think, is just not a generally true statement:

Quote:
Resistance training is a crucial element of any effective triathlon training program.

or if that is true, then the word crucial doesn't mean very much.

since plenty of people have made huge improvements in their personal triathlon performance without it.

whereas say the statement: "running is a crucial part of any effective triathlon program" is definitely true

and "Swimming is an effective part of any effective triathlon program" is probably true =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's just ridiculous. The next silly thing someone will say is that wind tunnel testing of bike frames shows little difference between all the top time trial models.
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
well this, I think, is just not a generally true statement:

Quote:
Resistance training is a crucial element of any effective triathlon training program.

or if that is true, then the word crucial doesn't mean very much.

since plenty of people have made huge improvements in their personal triathlon performance without it.

whereas say the statement: "running is a crucial part of any effective triathlon program" is definitely true

and "Swimming is an effective part of any effective triathlon program" is probably true =)

Again, we are going to get into a debate about what resistance training actually is. Triathletes do resistance training all of the time, they just don't necessarily lift weights to do it.

To the OP, there are a few people on here who will never change their viewpoint on this topic, no matter how many studies come out.
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, and people wonder why newbies get confused about training.....
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Several studies have shown that elite endurance athletes who participated in 8-12 weeks of high-rep, low-weight resistance training (2 days/week) experienced significant improvements in lactate threshold and maximal sprint power output. On average, there was no change in VO2peak.

Never mind several studies, can you point me to one that shows what the author is claiming? Just one, shouldn't be too hard.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timemachine wrote:
someone will say is that wind tunnel testing of bike frames shows little difference between all the top time trial models.

given reasonable definitions of "Top" your statement is a tautology.

Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot! You made me search for a dictionary and now I'm late for my weight workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing new. Lots of people have suggested similar things. The hard evidence to date says it's not true.
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timemachine wrote:
Shoot! You made me search for a dictionary and now I'm late for my weight workout.

the difference between the bikes that aren't very different is small!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a crossfit conspiracy

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't read your link but did some of my own research. Asked a 2 times ITU world champion if he used weights and he said pretty much not at all and the reason was he didn't have the spare time to do it. Anyway he went on to win one more world title.

But I think weight training would be really useful for some cyclist, especially those who go longer distances in non drafting races. However I don't read much about what the cyclist subscribe to, just my feelings.

Certainly as a person gets older(say around 50+), I'm told strength drops off and doing weights seems a logical way to keep the muscle fibres 'firing' well.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johan bruyneel seeemed to think weights was bad of cyclists.

he is pretty keen on physiology and has good gotten good results by optimizing it.

CRUCIAL ELEMENT!

triathlonshots wrote:
Haven't read your link but did some of my own research. Asked a 2 times ITU world champion if he used weights and he said pretty much not at all and the reason was he didn't have the spare time to do it. Anyway he went on to win one more world title.

But I think weight training would be really useful for some cyclist, especially those who go longer distances in non drafting races. However I don't read much about what the cyclist subscribe to, just my feelings.

Certainly as a person gets older(say around 50+), I'm told strength drops off and doing weights seems a logical way to keep the muscle fibres 'firing' well.

G.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And people won't take an extra 10 minutes to do some kick sets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
johan bruyneel seeemed to think weights was bad of cyclists.

he is pretty keen on physiology and has good gotten good results by optimizing it.

CRUCIAL ELEMENT!

triathlonshots wrote:

G.

I saw him at Paris in 2009 with his winning team. I am bit confused with the wording of your reply above. He thinks weights were bad for cyclists. Do you have a link to any articles by him or quoting him?

Thanks.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johan:
Quote:
"The biggest difference that people see (in Armstrong) is he's a lot smaller, his upper body is very different," Bruyneel said Sunday.

"At the end of 2008, when he started to train again, he was a retired athlete who wanted to stay in shape, stay fit, and he did a lot of different disciplines.

"One of them was weightlifting. It makes you look good at the beach, but it's not for the best for a bike rider. Since he started to race, he (hasn't) lifted weights any more, but of course losing muscle takes a long time."

This is of course not intended to be evidence of the efficacy, or lack thereof, of weightlifting for endurance sports in any way.

It is merely intended to rebut that idea that "anybody who has a clue knows weightlifting is good for endurance sports"

since, some people who have clues think it is bad, people who have been triathlon world champs don't weight lift, etc.

it may have some benefit, absolutely. but crucial element of ANY successful program?

come on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
people who have been triathlon world champs don't weight lift, etc.

I think I remember reading that Craig Alexander did strength training for the first time last winter to prep for this years IM Champs. Maybe he didn't use weights for resistance but there was some strength work done I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Quote:
Several studies have shown that elite endurance athletes who participated in 8-12 weeks of high-rep, low-weight resistance training (2 days/week) experienced significant improvements in lactate threshold and maximal sprint power output. On average, there was no change in VO2peak.
Never mind several studies, can you point me to one that shows what the author is claiming? Just one, shouldn't be too hard.

I don't have any knowledge, or even opinions, to add here. No weight training pretty much ever for me (except weight of bike+me going up hills), but am curious about the last bit, "on average there was no change in VO2peak". This implies that a VO2peak increase was seen in some participants in the (nameless) studies, and decreases in others. I'm curious if this is evidence that for some people changes caused directly by weight training can effect VO2max?

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.researchgate.net/...r_endurance_athletes

This guy seems quoted a lot around the web
Jeanick Brisswalter http://www.researchgate.net/..._Jeanick_Brisswalter

So according to him, it is the aged amoung us that benefit from strength training, while the young pups under 30 see little improvement.

Ian
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Paulo Sousa [ In reply to ]
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The study that the author refers to does not exist.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a "new" guy but if everything but strength is equal from one competitor to the next,(technique, gear, endurance) the stronger guy wins right? So two twenty minute strength sessions a week has got to be a bonus.

WD
http://thePoorAthlete.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/WDHutchins
Quote Reply
Re: The shot heard around ST, weight training helps?? [wdhutchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wdhutchi wrote:
I'm a "new" guy but if everything but strength is equal from one competitor to the next,(technique, gear, endurance) the stronger guy wins right?

Your example is not really realistic.

Quote:
So two twenty minute strength sessions a week has got to be a bonus.

That time is better spent doing s/b/r training.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next