Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks David,

I am normally a "low" guy, usually using a neg stem, however at the end of last season I did a bit of testing with a higher and more forward arm position.

I wouldn't call this a "superman" position, but with the arms at a slightly slacker angle and my chin really close (within an 2 inches or so) to the BTA bottle.

I think the HI-V would work well for this, but I need time in to see if it works on this set-up. So it sounds like its pretty easy to modify and I have switched cables around a lot on P3, P2 alu and soloist so once its set up in the Hi-V i think I wont have much trouble switching it to low if need be.

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say you received your 51, was it a P53 or P56? I have my 51 on order and was wondering if the 6's have started hitting the streets yet. Thanks, Shawn
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [140.6shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that they started shipping 51's P5-6 (the tri version) about two weeks ago.

I have received mine in good order, because of crank length and component preference I ordered frame only.

I was one of the first to order from our LBS once I saw it (didn't pre- order) back in January.

I live in Canada (west coast), so I am not sure where you live and how that affects delivery, I am also not sure how they roll out frame only vs complete bike vs UCI version.

I have a client who ordered a 48 from the same shop on the same day, I think these might take a while as they will have to make a new mold for 650 wheels.

Hope this helps,

I think Damon/Dave will be able to speak to this better than I.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damond

A couple more questions. I got my P5 three with Red SRAM set up yesterday - it is beautiful!!! Now the LBS is setting it up and I am going with a SRAM Quark power meter - LBS said the 2012 Red Quark is not compatible with the P5 bottom bracket? Local bike shop said I need to go with the Quark SRAM S975? I would prefer the SRAM Red Quark system since the rest of the bike is Red. Can you please help me understand if it is compatible?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [smaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob,

Your shop is correct. The SRAM Red BB30 cranks are not compatible. The spindle is simply not long enough and it will not fit in the frame. Fortunately, the S976 (and S951 for compact) is available in a Red version with rings that match the new front derailleur perfectly. I also use the S975 myself (with Dura-Ace 7900) and it is a nice stiff crank.

I've seen a picture of the S951 on one of our customer's R3s already so I know they are out there. It would be nice if the photos were up on the Quarq and SRAM websites...

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
Bob,

Your shop is correct. The SRAM Red BB30 cranks are not compatible. The spindle is simply not long enough and it will not fit in the frame. Fortunately, the S976 (and S951 for compact) is available in a Red version with rings that match the new front derailleur perfectly. I also use the S975 myself (with Dura-Ace 7900) and it is a nice stiff crank.

I've seen a picture of the S951 on one of our customer's R3s already so I know they are out there. It would be nice if the photos were up on the Quarq and SRAM websites...

I'm pretty sure the 'normal' SRAM Red 2012 BB30 crank and the SRAM Red Quarq BB30 crank is not equal in spindle length. As you say the BB30 Red crank spindle will not be long enough for the BBright bottom bracket on the P5, but I'm 99% sure the Quarq version will fit. I have the SRAM Red Quarq installed on my P3 with Rotor BSA30 cups and it wouldn't be possible with a 'normal' BB30 crank set which will have a too short spindle. At least within a few millimeters the Red Quarq spindle is the same length as the spindle on the Rotor 3D+ BB30 crank that was installed prior and I'm pretty sure that fits a P5 (it even comes with the complete P5 bikes if I'm not mistaken).
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, when you look at hte website for sram, the red crankset and the quarq red crankset are two totally different designs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David

I am still confused... the Quark web site they says the SRAM Red Quark Power Meter is compatible with the following Bottom Brackets - GXP, Press Fit GXP, BB30, Prsess Fit 30, BBright? Isn't the P5 three BB a Press Fit 30? The bike came with rotor cranks and BB - I think it is a Rotor Press Fit 30 bottom bracket? So why would a SRAM Quark Red Press Fit 30 work? Sorry for all the questions and my ignorance - I would prefer the Red Quark set-up if it would work. Has some nice added features over the S975 Quark.

Bob

SRAM RED Quarq Power Meter
Bottom BracketGXP, Press Fit GXP, BB30, Press Fit 30, BBright
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM Red Quark compatability - This was posted by Damon on Nov 7 - I am very confused - hate to order the SRAM Red Quark and have it not work

It's definitely compatible with BBright. This crank is the "BB30" variant from SRAM. It's natively compatible with BBright; just replace the left side threaded adjuster with a single wave washer (and maybe a few very thin plastic washers).

Cheers,
===========
Damon Rinard, Senior Advanced R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NEVER MIND, I'd go straight to the source, this is confusing
Last edited by: Runless: Nov 30, 12 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a little confusing. Here is how I understood it based on what the product management team discussed with me:

Prior to the "2012" Red, there were SRAM Red Quarq GXP and BB30 options. The BB30 option does not work with BBright (this I know for sure). The GXP works on BBright with adaptors. The crank option for BBright is the S900 series. S950 = compact (110bcd), S975 = standard (130bcd).

Then the new version of Red came out. They are calling it the 2012 (the stuff with the Yaw FD) and there are new Power Meter options. Basically, the S950 is now available as a S951 -- compact (110bcd) with YAW chain rings (and stamped "RED" on it somewhere) and the S975, I believe is now available as a S976 -- standard (130bcd) with YAW chain rings (also stamped RED on it somewhere). The SRAM web site does not show this product yet but I have seen photos of the S951 from a customer in the field. It is up on our website forum in the Picture of your Cervelo thread.

So, that might 'clear up' some of the what's-what on the recent history of SRAM Quarq cranks.

Here is what I can definitely tell you... For BBright frames, you can use a GXP crank with adaptors. However, if you are ordering a new power meter, why not get the 30mm axle (I mean, come on, we're out of the stone age already....)?

The S900 series will work no matter what. I ride a S975. If you are looking for the updated rings, the part #'s should be S951 and S976.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David, it looks like the NEW Red BB30 is also compatible. From Quarw's website: "The SRAM S975 BB30 model or the SRAM Red Quarq in BB30 will work with your BBright frame. You will need to remove the pre-load adjuster and small spacer from the spindle, and reassemble the crank with the wave washer* against the non-drive arm, and the large 13mm spacer on the drive side."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really doesn't clear up my question. Will the SRAM Red Quark work on my P5?

What is bottom bracket required for the P5? Is it a BBright or Press Fit 30?

Quarks web site says it has these options for bottom brackets for the SRAM Red Quark:

Also according to Quarks web site:

What options do you have for BBright or 3D+?
The SRAM S975 BB30 model or the SRAM Red Quarq in BB30 will work with your BBright frame. You will need to remove the pre-load adjuster and small spacer from the spindle, and reassemble the crank with the wave washer* against the non-drive arm, and the large 13mm spacer on the drive side.

This sounds like the same response Damon had in his Nov 7th post

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David

Can you tell me what SRAM Red group it is that came on the 2013 P5 three?

Is it 2012 SRAM Red or 2013 SRAM Red?

Thanks

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smaki wrote:
What is bottom bracket required for the P5? Is it a BBright or Press Fit 30?

BBright uses a Pressfit 30 bottom bracket. They are the same. Pressfit 30 simply means it presses into a frame with a 46mm diameter (BBright frames use this dimension) and supports a 30mm axle (like a S976 SRAM Red Quarq).

smaki wrote:
Quarks web site says it has these options for bottom brackets for the SRAM Red Quark:

Correct. The new SRAM line up has a S976 SRAM RED Quarq crank. This works for BBright as well and BB30. If you are ordering a non-Quarq, just be sure you are not ordering the BB30 specific crank as it does not work with BBright.

smaki wrote:
The SRAM S975 BB30 model or the SRAM Red Quarq in BB30 will work with your BBright frame. You will need to remove the pre-load adjuster and small spacer from the spindle, and reassemble the crank with the wave washer* against the non-drive arm, and the large 13mm spacer on the drive side.

All correct.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2013. I believe that there are no changes to the group set.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David

What crank do I order for a Quark SRAM Red to work with my P5? For the Quark version do I order the BB30 version and have my LBS follow the modifications suggested by Quark?

Quark comments: The SRAM S975 BB30 model or the SRAM Red Quarq in BB30 will work with your BBright frame. You will need to remove the pre-load adjuster and small spacer from the spindle, and reassemble the crank with the wave washer* against the non-drive arm, and the large 13mm spacer on the drive side.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those are not really modifications, and will actually make it a cleaner look than the dang 10mm+ spacer that goes on a reg bb30 with that crank.

the spindle length without splines is 91-92ish mm, with spline included ~105mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do exactly what Quarq tells you. Order the S976. If you have the latest version of SRAM Red, then try to get the S976 as it has the rings that are designed for the new front derailleur (although the S975 will work as well).

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi smaki,

David's responses are correct, but I understand there's a lot of info that can be confusing. I'll spell it out:

1. Order the SRAM Red Quarq crank named "BB30" (not GXP, though GXP will also work with adaptors).
2. Remove the adjuster thingy on the left side. This is how the "BB30" version gets a long enough spindle to work in your BBright frame.
3. Replace the adjuster thingy with a simple wave washer, available at nearly any bike shop for peanuts.
4. Enjoy your Quarq-equipped P5!

The rest of the information isn't needed to make your purchase, but it's interesting background info that the Quarq version of the new SRAM red crank is physically quite different from the non-Quarq version. The non-Quarq version has a shorter spindle, which makes the it strictly incompatible with your BBright P5. Understandable that this contributes to the confusion.

Hope this helps, and have a great weekend!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It appears that all the Cervelo athletes on the P5 three are using the Aduro. Is it possible to upgrade the P5 three aero bars to the Aduro or is 3T going to make this bar available for purchase?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does someone have the Torque values for the following on the P5:

the two, 4mm hex hed bolts that adjust the for/aft position of the seat post head assembly?

the two, 4mm hex hed bolts that clamp the post to the frame?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any more thoughts on Di2 vs red on the P5? Anyone have a P5 with Di2? Thoughts? I am leaning Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [IronDoc947] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 is nice, really nice. If you can, go for it.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of guys going Di2 before powermeter. If you had the money which one do you pick? (I know my answser, but I want to see the pro answer).
Quote Reply

Prev Next