Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
ahh I see, yeah it looks like in the high V case at least, adjustment after the fact on the fork would be limited. I think with the Lo setups you could leave the top cover off perhaps and have some steerer stick out (speculation)

the pads probably have the ability to adjust up and down though.

Probably the best reason to get a bike fit now, is all of the super bikes are somewhat tight in their range of adaptability. The xtra-lo bars sit right on the base and the low bars are slightly separated. As far as I can tell there is no way to do a basebar pad separation like on the shiv TT unless you go tall for the high V.

To me it looks like they are taking the Shiv tri route with aero matched spacers. But these bikes all demand close adherence to the carpenters motto "Measure twice, cut once"

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

A continental or professional road rider could wipe you all over the countryside on a steel Peugeot when you are on that technical marvel that has lower drag than everything else. I'm waiting for the semi motorized BB to go with the hydraulic brakes for you guys.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, I would need a motorized BB to keep up with the continental squads, no matter what bike they are on.

Thankfully, I race age group triathletes and Cat 4 roadies where I do fine.

and the continental and pro-tour guys race each other.

In both cases, every second counts!

eki1 wrote:
Jack,

A continental or professional road rider could wipe you all over the countryside on a steel Peugeot when you are on that technical marvel that has lower drag than everything else. I'm waiting for the semi motorized BB to go with the hydraulic brakes for you guys.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
You really have to derive that for yourself, since it would depend on seat model, crank arm length, and seat position.

But since it doesn't use an integrate seat mast the adjust ability is basically infinite. I've never heard of anyone running into inseam limitations.

quickguru wrote:
And what about maximum inseam length (bottom bracket to saddle) for the different bike sizes? I assume there is a max value for 75 and for 79 seattube angle.

I cannot find these critical info anywhere.

Nice bike though!

Ok, but what is the max seat post length? Is it a 350mm seat post with max clearance of 300mm?

Is it a propriatery tube form or other seat post could fit?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is a proprietary tube form, they make them very very long or you can slam them all the way down.

if the p5 post follows the p3/p4 trend the large post will allow you to get 11.5 inches up to the saddle rails from the minimum insertion line

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

In general, UCI P5 to me looks the same as an old Trek TT with a Dura-Ace center pull on it only modernized with better flow between the crown and downtube. The Speed Concept has a more revolutionary front end for a UCI design.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eki1 wrote:
The Speed Concept has a more revolutionary front end for a UCI design.

More revolutionary looking - yes

but is it faster?

Looks like it was damn near tied with the P4 even when the p4 didn't have a center pull =)

without a doubt the speed concept has THE BEST LOOKING HEAD TUBE EVER! Even compared to the new p5

doesn't mean it is the best though (maybe it is, time will tell)

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Damon! I'm supposed to a magazine review on your new P5 and the shop supplying the bike is convinced that I need to get the Di2 version but I'm guessing budget wise we're probably sticking with the DA version. Good to know that it's all still hydraulic although it'll be interesting to see how you and Magura work the cable to hydro version mentioned for road bikes.

That hollow box section on the RT8 levers is just itching for modular a snap on Di2 shifter pod...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
But these bikes all demand close adherence to the carpenters motto "Measure twice, cut once"
But you might have to cut to be able to measure, i.e. you want to try going 1cm lower in a wind tunnel to see if it's more aero, so you cut a cm of steerer off. Okay, that's more aero, lets cut another cm off and so on. For starters, that is quite time consuming to do while you're paying for expensive tunnel time. And secondly you only know when you've reached your optimum position when you have gone too far and the drag starts going up. So you need to be able to go back up a cm from there.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even with normal bikes you typically use a highly adjustable aerobar to figure out your position in the tunnel, not the one you intend to use permanently.

you would do the same here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
But these bikes all demand close adherence to the carpenters motto "Measure twice, cut once"

But you might have to cut to be able to measure, i.e. you want to try going 1cm lower in a wind tunnel to see if it's more aero, so you cut a cm of steerer off. Okay, that's more aero, lets cut another cm off and so on. For starters, that is quite time consuming to do while you're paying for expensive tunnel time. And secondly you only know when you've reached your optimum position when you have gone too far and the drag starts going up. So you need to be able to go back up a cm from there.

Ah.. but if you are doing your fitting in a tunnel you would, if you were smart, use a standard bar and stem setup. Then after you are satisfies measure the pad stack and reach twice and then cut once. ;)

A caution is that you need to know that you can ride powerfully and comfortably in the position you achieve in the tunnel. A lot of people can't.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem is your optimum position might be different on the different bars due to interactions between your arms and the surrounding components. It will probably be close, but I'd still want to be able to move a cm either way on my final setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Problem is your optimum position might be different on the different bars due to interactions between your arms and the surrounding components. It will probably be close, but I'd still want to be able to move a cm either way on my final setup.

Fair enough... I would say Damon Rinard would be able to easily answer that for you..

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
cables disappeared
a lot of brake disappeared

Runless wrote:
It doesn't look like they shrank front area at all.

All right; the seattube is 2mm wider, the headtube is longer, the BB looks increased in gerth and the increased BB drop(less seatpost and more seattube = more frontal area for a given saddle height).

But just because you'll argue over antyhing - "It looks like the frontal area was reduced minimally." Which is not a total dig, seeing as the P4 clearly had a small frontal area.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is correct. Obviously, if you are going to have those massively long chords, you have to increase the width a tiny bit to comply with 3:1. That being said, the most interesting thing is the varying airfoil shapes and skin surface treatment. Very anxious to read the white paper
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the nosecone coming with the RT8 brake or it could be buy separately and add to the RT6 brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not say I have the complete stock front end on the SC, or for that matter any other part of the bike, so I am not really concerned with any data that is shown on the P5, and guess what $10 grand not reqiured ;o)

jackmott wrote:
[quote yme I like others that have a bike that is already as fast as the P5

How did you get the two into a wind tunnel already?

The best clue we have, if we take the Trek white paper on the speed concept vs p4, and assumed the ~75 gram reduction from the p4 is real, that would make the p5 much faster than the speed concept.

discuss.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
eki1 wrote:
... The brakes are a nice engineering execution and I understand the approach, but are they really necessary, especially on a timed bike. You should not be touching the brakes!!! You need hydraulic brakes for a turnaround? And on that note, Tri athletes in general can't go that fast anyways to need powerful brakes. In reality, not that practical and as a mechanic in a shop, hydraulic is a pain to service...air bubbles and all. For the majority of people who are not mechanically inclined, the shops will love to make service money on this one.

I take it you have never raced on a technical course? Yes I know many triathletes that won't go over 25 mph even on a downhill, but those of us that DO appreciate being able to have good brakes when we get to that sharp turn at the bottom of the hill!!

As a mechanical engineer by training, I think thy hydraulics are a BIG win maintenance-wise. No more cable stretch, crap getting into the housings, having to change cables and hard-to-route housings every year.

Also, on long training rides up in the hills, it would be nice to not get hand cramps from poor brake design on long descents. I'm a pretty darn good descender when I want to be, but I'm also much more interested in training tomorrow than taking unnecessary risks today. What I'm trying to say is I descend like an old lady, and would appreciate having strong brakes that are comfortable in my hands.

As a mechanical engineer by training, perhaps you shouldn't mention cable stretch as a problem for the brakes. The cables themselves don't stretch a measurable amount, the housing settling into the end caps, and the end caps settling into their receivers are what lead to "cable stretch." :)

Not having to worry about trading out brake cables/housing on an annual basis is also a nice bonus.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Last edited by: pito00: Jan 18, 12 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yme wrote:
I did not say I have the complete stock front end on the SC, or for that matter any other part of the bike, so I am not really concerned with any data that is shown on the P5, and guess what $10 grand not reqiured ;o)

Not required for the p5 either. Just $6,500 + a partial 105+fsa gruppo =)

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
p5 has too much stack and theyre discontinuing the p4.

still sticking with my p3sl
What size do you ride?
I was thinking the same thing for my 51cm as at first glance the P5 has 24mm more stack than my P3, but that isnt actually the case and I could find a basebar setup that would work even if I was totally slammed (Ive got 3mm of spacer) and a -17 stem (Ive got a -6 stem).

You need to work on pad stack and reach rather than frame stack and reach.
Use the chart thats been posted.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pricing seems a bit deceiving. Only the cool tricked out tri version is shown in the pics. They list a complete bike with DA priced at $6500, but the bike is considerably watered down from what is shown. But the tri version (shown) is $6500 for just the frameset.

I ended up buying a P3 (w/ DA, carbon cockpit, etc) for $3000 thru Cervelo's share the ride program. Not regretting it at this point. I know it is a inferrior bike, but I figure it is half the price and a lot more than half the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [martyweiland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the nosecone include in the 6000$ P5 - Three?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [martyweiland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyweiland wrote:
Pricing seems a bit deceiving. Only the cool tricked out tri version is shown in the pics. They list a complete bike with DA priced at $6500, but the bike is considerably watered down from what is shown. But the tri version (shown) is $6500 for just the frameset.

It isn't just a frameset. It is a frameset, + aerobar, + brake levers + brake calipers + stem

That would save you like $1,000 to $1,500 in building up a bike if you went with similarly fancy brakes and aerobars of your own.

Though only a couple hundred savings over a cheap ass aero build =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't see how you can design/build a bike with Di2 or campy e shifting on the market and put a brake lever that is not compatible with those systems. The big selling point for me at least with Di2 was the pursuit bar shifting. I just think it was a big oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jrcarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrcarson wrote:
I just don't see how you can design/build a bike with Di2 or campy e shifting on the market and put a brake lever that is not compatible with those systems. The big selling point for me at least with Di2 was the pursuit bar shifting. I just think it was a big oversight.

so buy the frameset and do it the way you like. I'll buy the brakes off you =)

Last edited by: jackmott: Jan 18, 12 13:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next