Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi hgv,

You're thinking the right way, anticipating changes and giving yourself room to adjust.

Are you sure about the recommended stack/reach (565/432)? For someone your height it's strange to recommend a 48cm P5.

Other than that outlier, its clear to me you have a good understanding of the P5 stack & reach chart, good choices in frame sizes and good understanding of their trade offs.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the Aduro bar, when you remove spacers you must cut the fork. This means that to remove the High-V and go a little lower using the Low bar with some spacers, you'll want a new fork with a longer steerer. Instead, I recommend trying your new position with a standard stem & bar before you cut the fork to install the Aduro. (We intentionally chose the standard 28.6mm fork diameter to make this easy.) Once the Aduro is installed you can only go up by adding spacers under the arm pads. If you go very high there you might want to update your extensions.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi hgv,

You're thinking the right way, anticipating changes and giving yourself room to adjust.

Are you sure about the recommended stack/reach (565/432)? For someone your height it's strange to recommend a 48cm P5.

Other than that outlier, its clear to me you have a good understanding of the P5 stack & reach chart, good choices in frame sizes and good understanding of their trade offs.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the Aduro bar, when you remove spacers you must cut the fork. This means that to remove the High-V and go a little lower using the Low bar with some spacers, you'll want a new fork with a longer steerer. Instead, I recommend trying your new position with a standard stem & bar before you cut the fork to install the Aduro. (We intentionally chose the standard 28.6mm fork diameter to make this easy.) Once the Aduro is installed you can only go up by adding spacers under the arm pads. If you go very high there you might want to update your extensions.

you two are on different pages. while he talks about pad stack reach in one spot, he then says bike stack reach for th enumbers you are quoting. he was asking about a 58, you say 48. numbers crossed
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do'h! My mistake. You are right. Thanks for the correction, Jeff.

hgv, please disregard that part.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon
I have just ordered a P5 / 6 size 51
Was I correct in reading your post that the size 51 comes with 167.5 cranks?
I currently ride 172.5 on both my S2 and P3
I had planned on stepping down to 170 on the new P5 but think that 167.5 may be too short
Any comments?
Thanks for your ongoing support in answering questions on this P5 thread
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jonboy,

Thanks for riding Cervelo. Yep, the 48 and 51 P5s are specced with 167.5 cranks.

You might not know I've written about crank length before, so maybe give this a read if you haven't already:
http://cervelo.com/...rs/crank-length.html

For your new Cervelo, as always of course you can negotiate with your dealer to change to any crank length you like (or change any components for that matter). So if you know you want 170s, go for it. You're headed the right direction from your 172.5s if you're addressing any of the common issues from riding long cranks on tri bikes.

However, in my experience, a change of only 2.5mm is really small. If you're curious I'd encourage you to consider trying the 167.5s. They'll make up the perfect the 5mm difference from your 172.5s that I recommend to our pros between their road bikes and tri bikes.

At first it may seem counterintuitive that different crank lengths on road and tri bikes works, but most athletes find they perform better by keeping body angles "the same" as much as possible (including the hip) - which, when you're changing your riding position between the two bikes (as you should), means adjusting the crank length shorter on the tri bike.

Tri bike = lower torso = more closed hip angle;
Shorter cranks = more open hip angle.
As far as the muscles are concerned, these differences "tend" to cancel each other.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon
Thanks for reply, will give the shorter cranks a go.
Its funny you know, we look at numbers on a page ang get caught up in the numbers but when I got the tape measure out and looked at the difference between 172.5 and 170 its just the thickness of a thick pair of socks and likewise the difference between 167.5 and 172.5 is just like wearing 2 pairs of bike shorts.
I look forward to getting my P5 and using the shorter cranks.
Thanks Again
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I ordered my 48 P5-6 back in May I was told only 172 cranks were available. Since I ride with 165 cranks on my 48 P4 knowing I will be getting 167 is good news. Will these be Roto cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi rhudson,

P4 to P5, nice! Yep, should be Rotor 3D+ cranks.

"Specifications subject to change..." etc., etc.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon,

If you were to take apart Shimano TT brake/shifters to attach the electronics to the Magura, how would you go about doing it?

Talk to Shimano?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi James,

Great question. Two answers:

1. Google to learn how to DIY with CatEye buttons.

Or:

2. Unscrew the Shimano levers, transplant the button pivots from the body to the cover (cut & glue), make an epoxy putty base to form a support ring to mate the button+cover assembly to the Magura lever, bond it together.

Cheers,

Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi James,

Great question. Two answers:

1. Google to learn how to DIY with CatEye buttons.

I was less inclined to do this due to the issue w/ voiding the Shimano warranty

Quote:
2. Unscrew the Shimano levers, transplant the button pivots from the body to the cover (cut & glue), make an epoxy putty base to form a support ring to mate the button+cover assembly to the Magura lever, bond it together.

This seems like the "easiest" (albeit more expensive) way to go and not mess up anybody's warranty.
Quote Reply
which aerobars? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I picked up my P5 three frameset yesterday to replace my P4. My ventus bars won't work with the hydraulic brakes that come with it. So, my question is, which bars does everyone think are the most aero replacement that will fit this bike? How do I know which aerobars will fit the hydraulic lines?

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Re: which aerobars? [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hydraulic lines are the same size as normal brake cables, and the levers are (I believe) the same diameter as other levers. So, any bars that work with normal levers, etc. will work. 3T, HED would be my first choices...biased since HED has helped us out. 3T since I've used those in the past, and they are really nice bars.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny because if i had a p5.....and i dont!, i would put the ventus on it and put a omega brake over the hydraulic. more to gain that way in my opinion.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: which aerobars? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo has already claimed that the Aduro bar is faster (and most adjustable) than the Ventus and the Omega white paper says the hydraulic brake is faster, not to mention the brake cover.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Oct 21, 12 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: which aerobars? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was gonna use the ventus bars and omega brake but I would still need a rear brake and the ventus bars won't allow me enough adjustment to get into my same position as the P4

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Re: which aerobars? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
Cervelo has already claimed that the Aduro bar is faster (and most adjustable) than the Ventus and the Omega white paper says the hydraulic brake is faster, not to mention the brake cover.

oh i see ;) i do have my douth on cervelo claim. i dont take what company says for the true. would not be good for them to claim that another ilegal bar is faster than the one they produce....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are the compatible brake for the rear? does a simply shimano brake works? or does a prioritary brake caliper comes with the bike for the read?

yeah...ventus as definitly limited adjustability.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of the difference in drag between a "typical tri bike" as listed on page 8 of your white paper (or the p5) and a round tube road frame set up like this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm eyeing a P5 as a potential new frameset. I need a pretty tall front end, though. Right now I'm on a size L Argon 18 with all the headtube extensions installed, a single 10mm spacer, and a fairly high-profile aerobar. According to the white paper, I'd be on a 58cm P5 with the high-V and almost all the spacers to replicate that setup.

I'd be interested to hear from folks using a very tall P5 setup to know if there are any issues with front end stiffness/handling.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well, I finally have the P5-3 finished. Pretty much an advertisement for X-Lab products: rear bottle holder, torpedo mount and stealth pocket. Got the front brake squared away after Magura sent a replacement lever, no more leak! The Power2Max power meter just came in and it works great. Fit perfectly with the Rotor 3D+ crank. Thanks to Michael at the Vancouver distributor for the quick turn around.

Big thanks to the Mark and gang at St. Pete Bicycle for tracking the P5 down for me, and special thanks to Paul and Ted, for the fit and troubleshooting.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hypersteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hypersteve wrote:

Well, I finally have the P5-3 finished. Pretty much an advertisement for X-Lab products: rear bottle holder, torpedo mount and stealth pocket. Got the front brake squared away after Magura sent a replacement lever, no more leak! The Power2Max power meter just came in and it works great. Fit perfectly with the Rotor 3D+ crank. Thanks to Michael at the Vancouver distributor for the quick turn around.

Big thanks to the Mark and gang at St. Pete Bicycle for tracking the P5 down for me, and special thanks to Paul and Ted, for the fit and troubleshooting.

It looks incredible, very tastefully done. You sir have an awesome bike, now time to go fast! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hypersteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice!! Love the pairing of the bar tape and tires to match as well.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice,

Any chance in seeing a dual rear hydration set up for the p5 or a storage box for the bottom boss down by the bb?

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the moment no plans for a direct dual rear mount for the P5. You would have to use one of our carriers that mount to the saddle. We have had requests for this so it is definitely in our product idea bubble.

As far as the storage box this area was supposed to be covered by another company. No news on the status of this. We can certainly work with Cervelo on creating one.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next