Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Johnek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly can't speak for Damon or Slowman or others with probably a better understanding of stack and reach.

But, measuring stack and reach from the center of the bottom bracket standardizes the measurements regardless of what brand or type of bicycle you ride. The point from which stack and reach is measured is static. It is ALWAYS the bottom bracket. That way, you can pick your frameset based on those two measurements as opposed to top tube or seat tube lengths which 'may' change depending on where they are measured or what type of seatpost is used.

As you noticed, by measuring the way that you did (from the saddle), the reach changes with every adjustment. So to maintain your desired position, you will either need to find a way to extend the extensions 5cm or move the entire aerobar forward 5cm when you go from a UCI to non-UCI saddle position.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [RP29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a picture of what a P5 will look like with 45 mm of spacers? Isn't that alot of spacers?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I do not understand. The reach should reflect the lenght of the upper part of the body and therfore should always be the same.
Adjusting the position of the seat should not change the reach, but it does if I measure it from the centre of the bottom bracket (of course you can shorten the reach by further adjusting the position like lowering the stack).
That is what I have been told by the guys who did the positioning and they are professionals (e.g. they did positioning for Grabsch, Martin and Greipel). My problem is that my reach, according to the cervelo measurement method (400mm!), does not fit into their P5 table based on my stack of 597mm.
Last edited by: Johnek: Jul 20, 12 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnek wrote:
Anyway, I also measured the arm pad reach from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the arm pad support plate. With the UCI conform position this was only 400mm (!).

If you measured to the BB, why are you mentioning the UCI seat position? It's irrelevant.

Quote:
If I shift the sattle 5cm towards front the reach should be 450mm

How can moving the saddle forward cause the reach to increase? Again, if you're measuring from the BB the saddle position is irrelevant. If you're measuring from the saddle (which you shouldn't be) the reach is reduced.

It's really easy to follow the instructions from the Stack Reach chart and it will tell you which size(s) are right for you.

Quote:
Second question: when I am going to adjust the stack what kind of spacers do I have to use (for the handle bar or for the arm pads)?

The options for adjusting the Aduro bar are described on page 19 of the P5 white paper. If you're ordering the P5-Three then it does not come with an Aduro bar and you adjust it like you would a traditional bar/stem.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [smaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smaki wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of what a P5 will look like with 45 mm of spacers? Isn't that alot of spacers?

There's a sketch on page 19 of the white paper. Looks kinda silly if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will I be able to buy the P5 in September or October? R & A Cycles doesn't have it on their web site. :(

I assume you are recommending the tri model for most folks here?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arm pad reach is measured from the bottom bracket for just the ason it doesn't make sense to you but for a very logical reason. If you use the saddle, then it changes from bike to bike and user to user, by using bb it is equivalent across all bikes.

Typically your saddle position should be set independently of any consideration of reach. I.e. first you set your saddle position then work forwards.

Anyway, at 173mm and using a cuisine position, a 51cm sounds reasonable to me...

I have no affiliation with cervelo, just tying to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stack and Reach are becoming 'industry' standards for bicycle measurements and they are measured from the bottom bracket. It's kind of like saying you wear pants with a 32 inch waist and 34 in inseam. In theory, you should be able to buy any pair of pants with those measurements.

I chose to measure the reach of my bikes much like you do, but it is not the industry standard for reach...which is measured from the center of the BB.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnek wrote:
That is what I do not understand. The reach should reflect the lenght of the upper part of the body and therfore should always be the same.
Adjusting the position of the seat should not change the reach, but it does if I measure it from the centre of the bottom bracket (of course you can shorten the reach by further adjusting the position like lowering the stack).
That is what I have been told by the guys who did the positioning and they are professionals (e.g. they did positioning for Grabsch, Martin and Greipel). My problem is that my reach, according to the cervelo measurement method (400mm!), does not fit into their P5 table based on my stack of 597mm.

the mistake you are making with reach is that, to be useful you must know your preferred saddle angle and height before looking at reach measurements. If you are still trying to decide which seat angle and height you like, don't buy a new frame yet. Settle on seat position then find a frame that suits that position.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
Johnek wrote:

Anyway, I also measured the arm pad reach from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the arm pad support plate. With the UCI conform position this was only 400mm (!).

If you measured to the BB, why are you mentioning the UCI seat position? It's irrelevant.

Quote:

If I shift the sattle 5cm towards front the reach should be 450mm

How can moving the saddle forward cause the reach to increase? Again, if you're measuring from the BB the saddle position is irrelevant. If you're measuring from the saddle (which you shouldn't be) the reach is reduced.

It's really easy to follow the instructions from the Stack Reach chart and it will tell you which size(s) are right for you.

Quote:

Second question: when I am going to adjust the stack what kind of spacers do I have to use (for the handle bar or for the arm pads)?

The options for adjusting the Aduro bar are described on page 19 of the P5 white paper. If you're ordering the P5-Three then it does not come with an Aduro bar and you adjust it like you would a traditional bar/stem.

1.If you measured to the BB, why are you mentioning the UCI seat position?
I measured the reach ALSO from the BB to be able to folow the cervelo instructions

2. How can moving the saddle forward cause the reach to increase?
If I move the saddle forward i also have to move the handle bar, that is why the reach changes.

3. It's really easy to follow the instructions
Yes it is, but the reach we have measured according to cervelo instructions does not make sens (it is 400mm using the UCI position!)

4.The options for adjusting the Aduro bar are described on page 19 of the P5 white paper.
thanks, I did not have that one
Last edited by: Johnek: Jul 20, 12 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnek wrote:
Yes it is, but the reach we have measured according to cervelo instructions does not make sens (it is 400mm!)

What frame (brand and size), stem length, and bar produce that reach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,

As my 51 has been pushed back to September according to ATC, what are the chances of getting 2013 Shimano Dura Ace Di2? I mean, as it is going to be delivered after the majority of the race season, why not just make it a 2013 and surprise all of us long waiting, suffering early deposit making, dedicated Cervelo riders?

Cheers, I am going to ride my trusty P3...

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
David,

As my 51 has been pushed back to September according to ATC, what are the chances of getting 2013 Shimano Dura Ace Di2? I mean, as it is going to be delivered after the majority of the race season, why not just make it a 2013 and surprise all of us long waiting, suffering early deposit making, dedicated Cervelo riders?

Cheers, I am going to ride my trusty P3...

Jack

I am very close to just cancelling my P5-6 order because of this. I dont want this thing to show up in the fall only have the next model be available shortly there after with the new Di2. If it does not ship this month, I am going to cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
Johnek wrote:

Yes it is, but the reach we have measured according to cervelo instructions does not make sens (it is 400mm!)

What frame (brand and size), stem length, and bar produce that reach?

It was not a bike, it was a adjustable positioning dummy (whatever you call it).
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a brand new P5-Six frame set for sale in the classifieds if you don't want to wait!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Mansfieldmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong size unless i want to ride very slack.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumping Jack's question since i'd also fit a 51cm - any chance this question will be addressed? I don't see any upside to getting a 2012 P5 *in September when the race season is ending* if the component spec will be upgraded for 2013
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Soulmining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 3rd to Jack's question. Have a 51 on order (from shop in California, with deposit), and was informed to expect delivery late July (shop called me Friday stating that was up in the air now, as they had received a new expected ship date of several months out.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [robbo1011] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 4th it.
My LBS hasnt even updated me. If it was originally due for mid July, I should expect Sept?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anything be said about Australian availability for 2012? All dealers in the area are saying that there has been little information from the new aussie distributor (none), and they expect an announcement at Kona IM which includes p2 or p3 updates, and updated models with DA9000. Once this occurs, stock shipments should start coming... I've got a written off p3 to replace, the p5 looks like a great candidate but I cannot get a cervelo tt bike in my size.

I'm not rushing to buy one, but I'd like to know more information, so I can plan ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [htorano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I "5th it" all the time. I also ride a 51cm. It is very tough to comment on a general "when will we see the 51cm" question -- see Post #717 -- but we do hope to ship some units in the near future.

As far as Di2 bikes; obviously the new Dura-Ace is coming. It will be 'officially' launched at an upcoming event. We will not be getting this group in our hands until the start of the 2013 Calendar (not model year). As a result, there is no chance of getting a current Di2 bike tomorrow while another rider gets a New Di2 bike next week.

We are not going to be able to fulfill all orders for the P5 in 2012. If you have ordered a Di2 bike, and you do not receive it soon, you will be first in line to get a 2013 P5. I recommend that you keep your order and your place at the front of the line.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to order a P5-three today what groupo would I get? I am hoping it would be the Dura Ace 9000 11 spd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I am hoping it would be the Dura Ace 9000 11 spd"
----------------
So, you don't want Di2?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smaki,

Are you asking if you can order 2013 models now? They are not released but sometimes shops will keep a list of interested people and place the desired bike on their pre-season order to get it as quickly as possible. If you order a P5 Three today, and it is available, you would have the option to get it now with 7900. If it is not available, would have the option of waiting for the 2013 product. We are not going to ask you to ride a group set that you do not want.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave

when will the X-low bars be available?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next