Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Raabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Raabs,

Bummer, I had no idea the world was out of 3T S-Bends. Of course it's just a cylindrical hole, so obviously you can use other brands, but they must be 22.2, not 22.0.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Glad i checked. I also just noticed that Zipp makes two versions of extensions 22mm and 22.2mm. Here's to hoping that the mechanic has the 22.2mm version.

Amazing how many versions (and many ugly) of s-bend bars there are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
From the testing we've done, narrower tires are still marginally faster (potentially because of the trailing edge effect you mention).

The main benefit of the P5's new seat tube skin surfaces is that it is less sensitive to tire width now. In fact all the aero gains we claim for the P5 are based on test data collected with a 23mm rear tire.

Thanks for the input. When you say marginally I'm assuming it's in the 1-2 W or so range. I've also seen some wheel-only tests of discs where rotational drag went up by several watts when changing to wider tires, perhaps because of larger skin friction or perhaps just because of more general turbulence around the wheel, but I'm not sure if you're measurements include that.

Another less technical question. What's the setback difference on the Tri and TT seat posts? Is it fair to assume you can obtain a standard UCI legal seat position (5-7cm setback with an Adamo) with both seat posts on both a size 51 and 54?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

Rotational drag isn't easy to measure well. Can you tell me more?

The P5's seat tube is pretty different. More than 2-dimensional thickness and chord changes, the variable curvatures of the multiple aero profiles themselves are tuned at several points within the seat tube aero zone. The result is a true aero 3-dimensional skin surface optimized for every different flow condition along the seat tube. By comparison, a seat tube based on any single cross section shape would have compromised aero performance.

With your Adamo saddle, you can easily get 5cm back of the BB on any size at any saddle height. The TT seat post is typically only needed at low saddle heights and with a long-nosed saddle.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

I just PM'ed you with a link to the data I have. Generally there doesn't seem to be much data available on rotational drag. I think it's a pity since I believe it would be a place where a good chunk of drag could be saved if just some of the ressources put into translational drag of wheels were put into the rotational drag stuff. Maybe it's the next frontier after wide rims?

It's the little things like seemingly obsessing over the seat tube shape that I really like about Cervélo ;)

Thanks about the answer on the seat post. Looks like I would be fine with either.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spotted in the flesh right here in VA Beach - Final Kick Sports.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Trigator2 [ In reply to ]
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [maxhr203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caroline's bike with the Campy Mech. doesn't quite have the same wow IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am contemplating purchase of a UCI P5. As I understand it the Adura bar is not available on the P5-three. The stack and reach tables apparently only apply with the Adura bar. How do you size based on the Aura bars?

In the white paper the drag chart indicates that it was based on the UCI legal bike. Is that with the Adura or Aura bars? If it is the Adura bar what is the drag difference with the supplied Aura bars?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The standard stack and reach are supplied here:
http://www.cervelo.com/...es/2012/P5/geometry/

ludlaw wrote:
I am contemplating purchase of a UCI P5. As I understand it the Adura bar is not available on the P5-three. The stack and reach tables apparently only apply with the Adura bar. How do you size based on the Aura bars?

In the white paper the drag chart indicates that it was based on the UCI legal bike. Is that with the Adura or Aura bars? If it is the Adura bar what is the drag difference with the supplied Aura bars?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ludlaw,

You're right, we don't spec the Aduro bar on the P5-Three, but it is compatible and available aftermarket. Of course with the Aduro the arm pad stack and reach table applies.

If you don't use the Aduro aero bar, then just check frame stack and reach as before - the P5 was specifically designed to work with standard headsets and stems as well, so fitting is the same as always: frame + headset (+ spacers?) + stem + aerobar, etc.

The data in the white paper is with the Aduro bar. We didn't test with other bars; the Aura is simply a spec choice for that model.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear deliveries of at least a handful of P5's have been confirmed and I hope deliveries will continue to flow. I am a bit troubled by the fact that AFAIK no confirmed deliveries outside US. Especially considering the claimed fact that my (European) dealer pre-ordered my (56") bike "two days before Christmas 2011" and that they still have no delivery confirmation whatsoever, whereas somebody ordering from a "fairly strong" US dealer gets their's in two months. Is that kind of delivery strategy smart business for Cervelo? Maybe. Is it fair? Not so much.

...or maybe its just sour grapes.
Last edited by: hgv: Jun 7, 12 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hgv wrote:
I'm glad to hear deliveries of at least a handful of P5's have been confirmed and I hope deliveries will continue to flow. I am a bit troubled by the fact that AFAIK no confirmed deliveries outside US. Especially considering the claimed fact that my (European) dealer pre-ordered my (56") bike "two days before Christmas 2011" and that they still have no delivery confirmation whatsoever, whereas somebody ordering from a "fairly strong" US dealer gets their's in two months.
Even though I'm also on the wrong end of this, being in the UK where I believe the P5 isn't arriving till late July, I can see that it makes sense for them to ship country by country. They have a finite number of bikes coming off the production line. It is a lot easier for customers to accept that there are none at all reaching their country than it is for them to accept that some have reached their country but while retailer A received some, their order was with retailer B, who didn't receive any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I'm told that the Aduro bar is not available aftermarket. And, since we have no drag information on the UCI version with anything other than the Aduro bar it doesn't seem possible to determine whether a P5-three is a more aero efficient bike vs other bikes. I'll have to revisit the idea of purchasing a P5-three once the Aduro bar is available or there is more information to show the aero advantage of the P5-three with some other bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ATC wrote:
I was ordering P5s in August 2011.
-Adam

Adam, I didn't mean any disrespect towards your shop. I'm sorry if it came out that way. I may have misinterpreted some earlier comments made by yourself (your first customer putting a deposit down on her bike "two months ago") as if my rantings really mattered anyway.

What's funny though is this:

David Byer wrote:
hgv wrote:
David,

My P5-tri was ordered in December 2011 so I'm hoping I'll be fairly high in the delivery list. However, my dealer told me that (at least as of now) Cervelo is unable to deliver a complete bike and offered to "downgrade" my order to framekit (which I did).

December!?! But we didn't launch it until January! You must 'know a guy'.

So I presume YOU must know more than just a guy then. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam -- Austin Tri Cyclist -- is a retailer, and a very good retailer at that, of Cervélo product. We do our best to keep our Retailer informed on what is coming and we are working on improving that communication further; i.e., delivery times on current P5 orders. We have a list, we are shipping on a first in = first out basis. We are definitely sticking to this approach as it seems to be the most fair.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just getting my P5 (tri version) built right now and it looks very nice.

To follow-up on an earlier comment from you about packing the bike for travel, help me understand if/how you can remove the handlebars/extensions so that it can fit in a standard bike case (i.e. Trico). With the level of integration, hydraulics and cables, I am trying to determine whether this is doable.

Thanks,

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looked good at the Giro.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Over,

For our travel we've simply separated the whole bar+stem from the fork and laid it alongside the frame (with plenty of padding) in the hard case without separating any cables.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
hgv wrote:
I'm glad to hear deliveries of at least a handful of P5's have been confirmed and I hope deliveries will continue to flow. I am a bit troubled by the fact that AFAIK no confirmed deliveries outside US. Especially considering the claimed fact that my (European) dealer pre-ordered my (56") bike "two days before Christmas 2011" and that they still have no delivery confirmation whatsoever, whereas somebody ordering from a "fairly strong" US dealer gets their's in two months.

Even though I'm also on the wrong end of this, being in the UK where I believe the P5 isn't arriving till late July, I can see that it makes sense for them to ship country by country. They have a finite number of bikes coming off the production line. It is a lot easier for customers to accept that there are none at all reaching their country than it is for them to accept that some have reached their country but while retailer A received some, their order was with retailer B, who didn't receive any.

This is kind of through the grapevine, so take it with a pinch of salt. But I heard that Cervélo wants the distributors to take in large orders of the P5 due to higher than expected manufacturing costs. Effectively this should then mean that smaller distributors (think in smaller countries) are not getting P5's (at the moment, at least). Apparently this should also be part of the reason why Cervélo and the distributor in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland) has just ended. As an added bonus this also means that the deal with the distributor in Denmark about P5's for me and my team mate is off. My team mate has spoken to the distributor and it sounds like it wasn't the distributor that wanted to end the cooperation. Suffice to say I'm not too happy about the situation right now...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard the same thing about the distributor in Scandinavia not working with Cervelo any longer, but I thought it was because Pon is replacing distributors with their own already existing network in whole Europe. Makes sense.

Just wishes that the new distributor contacts my LBS and tell them when my bike is coming asap. =)
Last edited by: tripirate: Jun 8, 12 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ATC wrote:
I was ordering P5s in August 2011.

-Adam

Wrong! We were ordering PX's then :)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know what size crankset comes on a Di2 equipped 56cm P5?

I don't know exactly where to find if it is a Standard or a Compact and in what crank length. I would guess a 170 or 172.5, but would rather have something better than a guess.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [withrow79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
withrow79 wrote:
Does anybody know what size crankset comes on a Di2 equipped 56cm P5?

I don't know exactly where to find if it is a Standard or a Compact and in what crank length. I would guess a 170 or 172.5, but would rather have something better than a guess.

Here's the link for spec. 56's are spec'd out with 172.5.
Quote Reply

Prev Next