Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested to. With the new geometry it makes a difference. Unfortunatetely, neither the P5 Dura-Ace or P5 Di2 include the headset among the parts in the list of specifications.

I am also curious what the P5 Dura-Ace looks like, with time trial fork and Aura Pro aerobars.

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a rule, if a frame comes as a frameset (seatpost, frame, fork, etc) it will have a headset. All of my Cervelo's were framesets and all came with a headset.

Cheers,

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Cervelo offer a chioce of crank length on full bike purchases? If so what is the range?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure the P5 comes with a headset, but what kind of headset is it and how tall is it?
Last edited by: kenpetruzzelli: Feb 8, 12 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the photos there is 1-2mm of headset under the Aduro bar. I'm guessing it's a Cane Ck 110 style but the Aduro bar/stem replaces the traditional cover.
Last edited by: ScottWassy: Feb 8, 12 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will the white paper be available anytime soon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can read the bearing id in this photo:

1-1/8 36 x 45

So yeah it's a cane ck 110 style. (according to Park Tools website it is SHIS term: IS41)
http://www.parktool.com/...lp/headset-standards

I just dropped a new headset onto my P2C so I knew what to look for.

Last edited by: ScottWassy: Feb 9, 12 3:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

Agreed on the brake cover - it's not part of the frame so wasn't submitted in our UCI Approval application, but the rules aren't clear on the brakes themselves.

All Cervelo frame sets come with an internal standard (IS) 1 1/8" headset. The top cap is typically the 15mm one, so you may want to source a lower one for your application (or leave it off).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi matto,

No choice on crank length. Normally we ship an appropriate length but certainly many denizens of this forum (notice I didn't say strange denizens! ;-) will have personal preferences. Consider discussing your options with your Cervelo retailer ahead of time. Crank length is one of the specs that sometimes really does change without notice as availability dictates.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ScottWassy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott,

You are correct, there is no headset top cap necessary with the Aduro bar. The Aduro stem (or Aduro spacers) stands on the split cone of the headset itself, effectively about a milimeter or two above the frame, just as you said.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
:-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an engineering definition of soon? Dumb question I know :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmur wrote:
Is there an engineering definition of soon? Dumb question I know :-)

After the Jan 18 release the p5simplyfaster site had a count down timer that said the data would be available in 2 days. It disappeared quickly and it's now been 3 weeks so I presume their definition of soon keeps changing. Wink

I just put down my deposit for mine... voting with my wallet to support cool engineering. My fingers are crossed that data turns out to be at least decent.
Last edited by: matto: Feb 10, 12 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Damon,

I assume part of simple is that the bike is easy to pack into a bike box for travel? Would you have any photos of a P5 in a bike box?

Cheers, Duncan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a bottom bracket included when ordering the P5 frameset? The P5 page on cervelo.com is a bit ambiguous.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Two P5-Three DA bikes (51 and 54) have now been ordered for me and my friend. We're told delivery could take place already next month! I'm assuming us cyclists are enjoying that the triathletes have to wait for the Aduro bar to be ready :)

Again thanks for your reply, very helpful. I will see if I can find a very low dust cap. Wouldn't it be risky leaving the dust cap off all together or should the sealing of the bearing etc. be enough to keep out most of the dirt that may come in there?

I have one more question I hope you can answer. My friend is hoping to use his GXP-based powermeter in the P5 which should be possible with the Enduro adapter listed at BBright.net. However, the adapter seems almost impossible to find online and I have read that it has been quite hard to find anywhere, at least until recently. It seems like the only way to get it is ordering it through a Cervélo dealer (and possibly making it easier for tham by telling them the Cervélo part number listed at BBright.net). I assume this is the correct way to go about it and it should be possible to obtain the adapter this way? We're in Denmark, if that matters.

I hope you're soon finished with the white paper! You know, the longer it takes the more numbers, comparisons, and explanations we expect to find in there! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ScottWassy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the picture, link, and explanation. Should be able to find a low-stack dust cap now - but anyone with suggestions for one or where to obtain one are most welcome to share it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have found you can go for the low stack Cane Creek 110 or a FSA one like the IS2. Both FSA and Cane creek have short and tall options. The FSA IS2 on my S5 is slightly lower than the Cane Creek on my P2C. I couldnt find much in the way of alternatives when I was looking.
If quality is important then Cane Creek appears to beat out FSA but it is only a headset and I have no problems with the FSA headset that was on my P2C the previous 5 years. I did destroy the bearings and particularly the dust cap when removing it but that was because the dust cap was seized onto the rusty wolf fork.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I just got out of the wind tunnel (flying back today) and expect to finish the white paper before I leave for Switzerland in the next two weeks.

I apologize for the delays - I thought we'd have time to finish this but as often happens with a small company like Cervelo we've bitten off more than we can chew. Once the P5 white paper missed the launch date I got swamped with BrainBike EU, a trip to the wind tunnel (this is where I am today), coming up: InfoTech CH & AT, BrainBike NA. The original window to finish the white paper closed and a new one is just opening.

It sometimes surprises folks to learn how small Cervelo really is. One comparison that put it in perspective for me recently was the realization that we have fewer employees than Slipstream Sports has to run Team Garmin-Cervelo. Strange but true!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Duncan,

As you've noticed, we tried to keep the P5 as simple as possible at every step of the design phase, and travel was a strong consideration.

Yes, it's easy to pack. No, I don't have a photo, sorry. I should have snapped one of the two P5s we packed at the wind tunnel! They each went into a standard hard case, just as a regular bikes do. P5s have been in and out of cases packed that way about eight times on flights with me so far.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi matto,

Should come with a PressFit30 BB, but I've emailed our product manager to make sure I'm not mistaken and our web master to add clarity to the web page. Thanks for asking!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

Thank you for paying my salary! ;-) Yes, we expect availability of the Aduro bar to slow delivery of the P5s that come with it. Not 3T's fault though; we finished the bar design well after the frame.

Leaving the dust cap off the headset does mean the upper bearing gets more contaminants on it. Bearings are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace though, so if you're willing to throw a new one in there every now and then (couple years?) then go for it. As an alternative, I've seen listed on ebay a very thin carbon fiber headset top cap. Probably just one or two plies, maybe thinner than 1mm.

Can anyone find a link to that?

Yes, the Enduro GXP adapters are at Cervelo. So please help out your retailer by quoting the part number; I'm pretty sure it's the same in Denmark. :-) Should work great with your friend's GXP power meter.

I'm trying to reduce the white paper's page count now - which mathematician said he was sorry he didn't have time to make his letter shorter...? ;-)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fermat, on his last Theorem?

Quote:
it is impossible to separate a cube into two cubes, or a fourth power into two fourth powers, or in general, any power higher than the second, into two like powers. I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain

Mathematicians generally assume he was trolling everyone though.

damon_rinard wrote:
Hi MTM,

Thank you for paying my salary! ;-) Yes, we expect availability of the Aduro bar to slow delivery of the P5s that come with it. Not 3T's fault though; we finished the bar design well after the frame.

Leaving the dust cap off the headset does mean the upper bearing gets more contaminants on it. Bearings are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace though, so if you're willing to throw a new one in there every now and then (couple years?) then go for it. As an alternative, I've seen listed on ebay a very thin carbon fiber headset top cap. Probably just one or two plies, maybe thinner than 1mm.

Can anyone find a link to that?

Yes, the Enduro GXP adapters are at Cervelo. So please help out your retailer by quoting the part number; I'm pretty sure it's the same in Denmark. :-) Should work great with your friend's GXP power meter.

I'm trying to reduce the white paper's page count now - which mathematician said he was sorry he didn't have time to make his letter shorter...? ;-)

Cheers,

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 12, 12 6:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome! :)

I'll try to hunt down that dust cap. Meanwhile I have thought it should be pretty easy to machine a very low-stack one myself using the lathes I often use at work. I'll have to study a lose dust cap, but if there's no strange or really small weird parts that need to click in or anything like that (which I don't think there is?) it should be pretty straight forward to make. Carbon does sound good, though...

Don't take any of the drag numbers out! :p

Another (easy?) question. Do you know if the complete bikes come in parts or is (half) build up when delivered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Don't bother. Bits are cheap ;-)

The more info/detail the better, I say ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next