Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Are special tools needed to setup and maintain the Magura brakes? I assume directions of some form will be published for those who buy the frameset and do their own bike work?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man! I had a pair of Sweetwings that I sold with a mid-90s Felt B2 . . . loved everything about that bike. Of course I sold it in 1999 when I got my 1st P3! . . . should have kept the wings!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi matto,

Nope, no special tools are needed. The Magura RT series brakes (RT stands for Road Team, Magura's MT stands for Mountain Team) install like normal brakes. They also use the same bleeding tools and hydraulic parts as all Magura's rim brakes. A few hex keys, one Torx T25 (same as used on disc brake rotors) and the basic syringe and oil that comes with the rim brake service kit are all you need.

And yes, instructions are included. :-)

Speaking personally, since ours is a mountain bike free household, I was blown away at how simple set up and service are. This is quite an improvement over many of the so-called "superbikes" and one of the reasons we chose the theme "Simply Faster" for the P5, emphasizing not only that it's faster, but also not as complicated to work on as many competing bike models can be.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Nope, no special tools are needed.,

Damn, I was kind of hoping to buy some more bike tools. Smile

Just kidding. That looks great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Discover,

Now that I'm back from the Canary Islands, I spoke with Robert Pike, designer of the Aduro about your Di2 question. He reminded me of a few things I'd forgotten.

1. There is room inside the handlebar for the Di2 junction box if you want to put it there. It tucks into the inside of the handlebar, under the front part of the stem. There's room there for lots of stuff (Robert wants to see how many gels fit - but of course it's not easy to get to them). Anyway, there is a lot of room there. It's just that to access it you'll have to remove the cover. For as long as Di2 batteries have been lasting, this might make sense until you need to fine-tune it.

2. We considered a hole to position the Di2 junction box inside the stem but visible to the rider, and decided against it since that would have left a hole even on bikes without Di2. Making e.g. two separate High-V pieces (one with, one without) would have answered that, but Cervelo's not big enough to carry the tooling and distribution costs economically.

Hope this helps further,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Feb 6, 12 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi carbonsport,

The Shimano part number is ISM-EW79A-I2.
The previous was: ISM-EW79A-I.

Both work; the new one is longer so gives more slack for easier set up and larger adjustment range.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon,

Will the Ultra low bar be ready by the time 51's ship? I know you stated that the bike won't come with that bar, so I am very concerned that I will not only have to wait until May/June (or god forbid later) and still not have the bar set up I need.

Many thanks,
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those are nice cranks. Steel, right? Are they still being made?

I was looking closely at the bike pic. Any idea what the two clamp bolts(?) are that are right behind the fork crown?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See the 6th image down:

http://www.englishcycles.com/custom-build-process/

He calls it an "upside down" ahead set. I believe the stem and steerer tube are one piece so the clamp is on top of the fork crown...

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeah, those are nice cranks. Steel, right? Are they still being made?

Stainless steel. No longer made.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it.

Other than the 'clean appearance', any design advantages to this approach with the steerer? It seems that up-down stem adjustment would be highly limited. And I wonder how strong of a fork crown that would be.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not stainless, I saw too many rusty ones back in the day. I think they were plated though, they had an odd surface finish. The original maker is back in the crank game with the EEcranks. Similar construction but aluminum (mostly).

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Not stainless, I saw too many rusty ones back in the day. I think they were plated though, they had an odd surface finish. The original maker is back in the crank game with the EEcranks. Similar construction but aluminum (mostly).

Stainless steel can rust ;-)
edit: But, I googled a bit and saw that you are indeed correct. They were plain steel with some sort of proprietary coating. I just assumed the ones I saw were stainless...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Feb 6, 12 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, but those cranks weren'ty stainless.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Sure, but those cranks weren'ty stainless.

Yup...you're right. See my edit above.

http://velobase.com/...7e35158&Enum=115

Last edited by: Tom A.: Feb 6, 12 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack,

Don't know yet. Robert's just showing me screen shots of the X-Low design as we speak. :-)
51cm frames are in the last batch of first production (along with 61cm) but a bar is quicker so my guess for now is you'll be okay.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Damon for taking the extra effort to speak with the designer of the Aduro bar.

Perfect - I'll tuck the junction box inside the stem. Once you fine tune Di2 and remember to re-charge the batteries every 6 months or so, there is really no need to access the box. I'm gonna stuff emergency money, gel, maybe a spare Di2 battery :) in there. Oh yes, now to remember to bring along that allen key.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the coating is a plating. The ones I've seen that had rust looked like the plating flaked off. Supposedly they made a few sets out of Ti but I've never seen one. Those would be truly sweet.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did see one set of Ti sweet wings...They were nice to look at, but the set that I saw had some discoloration to the welds that would indicate some not-so perfect shielding during the weld.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Hi damon,

Unusual one this time.......

Are any of the photos circulating (either on the cervelo site) or from other publcity shots of the 51cm P5. I'm trying to get a feel for how it looks in terms of size. (No problems with my choice for fit based on the charts provided. I just recall seeing my P3 in a 51 all those years ago and thinking it had been on a diet compared to the other sizes!!!!!!!!)

Also, as I'm purchasing P5 frameset I'm now considering build up options. Am I correct to assume that any system that rotor produce that is BBright compliant will fit the P5.

I'm looking at the aero 3D+ in particular....but I'm easily confused by the whole push in/screw in Bottom Bracket issue.

Cheers

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon, another quick question.

Is it posible to replace the fork on the tri version (P5 - Six)? I'm looking into which version has the shortest delivery and am wondering if it will be possible to turn the tri version into a UCI legal bike. As far as I understand one would only need to remove the 'beard' and front brake cover and then also replace the fork. So will something like your FK26 fork work and be a good match (aerodynamically as well as aesthetically)?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Holleewud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

The Rotor 3D+ is the crankset that comes with the P5 Durace and Di2 bikes. It says so on the Cervelo website.

I've just ordered one for my S5 and Rotor's BBright 30mm press fit bottom bracket.

Cheers

Scott

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Holleewud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian,

The 51 looks good in person, don't worry. But I have no photos at this time, sorry!

Rotor 3D+ (regular and aero) and BBright are a good match. Any crank that is BBright compatible will fit the P5.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

UCI legal: You are right, the only things you need to change to make any P5 UCI legal is the fork and remove the front covers. Actually, we haven't asked the UCI about the brake covers - might be legal...?!? The beard almost certainly isn't. But aero performance is still better than other bikes even without the covers.

Fork: We consciously decided to keep many aspects of the P5 simple by design. The headset is one of them: a standard 1 1/8" that takes nearly any fork, including the FK26. Functionally, no problem. Aerodynamically, the aero match between the P5 frame and the FK26 fork isn't optimal. The P5 frame is wider, since it's engineered to be an aero match with the front brake and matching wider P5 crown. The best option is the P5-Three fork.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for all your replies, Damon. Much appreciated!

I don't think I will try to push my luck with the commisaires on the brake cover - at least not if we're only talking about a watt or so. Looks like the P5-Three is the way to go and luckily it also seems from the local distributor that it will soon be here :)

Another question about the headset. When you say standard I assume you mean aheadset integrated - which I think is what my P3 uses, correct (I'm no headset expert)? Does the headset come with the frame or do I have to buy one seperately? I will need a stem with a >17 degrees negative angle, so I will try to find the lowest stack dust cap available unless the P5 already comes with something quite low (at least less than 10mm).
Quote Reply

Prev Next