Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Herbert!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

Thanks. BrainBike finishes on Sunday, I fly out on Monday. Looks like you'll just miss us! A few guys will stay behind to pack supplies, but I think all P5s will already be gone. ;-(

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hart,

Glad you found a P5 size to fit you! I think the table is easy to use, if you already know your position.

The statistical weights will be determined as production increases. Naturally, our QA engineers have max and min weights for production acceptance as you guessed. The 61 (and 48) are the last sizes to enter production so will be the last to have a real weight. But typically longer chord adds surface area, and thus a bit of weight, exactly as you already understand.

I'm really liking Fuerteventura. We've ridden in beautiful weather on beautiful roads these last few mornings, and I'm a little sad that tomorrow real work begins again with another group of dealers and distributors. But I like that part too, so it's all good!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a video we shot with Damon Rinard and Phil White on Fuerteventura. We just stuck it up on the home page.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Cervelo_P5_2552.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Here is a video we shot with Damon Rinard and Phil White on Fuerteventura. We just stuck it up on the home page.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Cervelo_P5_2552.html

Kudos to Slowman and the Cervelo as they really nailed the marketing this time. ST logo mic, hot Cervelo bike, a little tech talk and then throw in the obligatory strip tease act at 2:17...Simply Brilliant boys!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not seeing the woman's tee shot in the background is KILLING me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was first an obese male who took his shirt off in the background, so we had to shoot it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil should be more accurately stating that the brake setup is more aero than a dura-ace or SRAM RED setup, rather than lightest period.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
Not seeing the woman's tee shot in the background is KILLING me.

YES! And she left BOTH gloves on...must be a euro thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, it looks like she may have tee'd up ahead of the box. Not seeing this resolved basically ruins the video for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's going to be a close call, then. I should be at Fuerteventura about 1pm on Sunday. Any chance to get to see a P5 at that time or will you have packed them away by then? I (and my friend) would really like to see one if it's possible. I know my friend has been in talks with the distributor here in Denmark, but I don't think he has been given any information in regards to when we can expect to get one (well, two ;-) ).
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They shoulda gone with a different soundtrack. Maybe fade in with Joe Cocker ripping through "You Can Leave Your Hat Gloves On"
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. All biggest, best, fastest statements are always tricky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero is wayyyyyy more important, but any weight estimates on P5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Damon,

just coming back to the earlier dialogue with devashish_paul of advantages of the 15mm lowered BB of P5 as compared to P2/3/4:
+ I strongly assume savings of 15mm for the overall system (bike+rider) perhaps improve aerodynamics, too?
- But IMHO some ground clearance is also essential for pedalling wider curves often occuring in olympic courses or TTs!

Just did a simple measuring exercise - moved one crank fully downwards and skipped the bike until the pedal hits the ground at a 30,4° angle.
Then placed a flat object of 1,5cm height on the floor under the pedal and repeated above measuring - now stopping at 22,5°.
(P2 2008/FSA slk pro crank, CrankBros EggBeater TI pedal)

In races I experienced situations that the inner pedal scratched sometimes the ground (30,4°!), resulting in a sudden slight offset of the rear wheel,
but with durable (in the context of road biking) eggbeater pedals and some handling skills always managed these situations ... ;-)
I suspect on a low BB P5 I have to recalibrate that.

Rgds, Hart

PS. I have been the last two years to Las Playitas in early spring and still remember the beautiful bike tours - one day I combined the 'La Oliva'
tour (~135k) by coincidence with an additional 42k loop to 'Pájara' resulting a nice and slow 29kph avg IM similar split of 177k distance & 2.2k climb.
Sun & empty roads & fuerte landscape are just too motivating ... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hart,

Your experiment is admirable! Yes, a lower BB means less pedal clearance, all else equal.

As you mention, you could recalibrate your reactions, but there is another option. Take a look on cervelo.com for a question I answered about crank length here
http://cervelo.com/...e/crank-length/2954/

... or just search this Slowtwitch forum for something like "crank length" to get a lot of info about perhaps changing your cranks to a shorter length.

Also have you considered a pedal with more lean angle?

The longest ride I had time for here was 100km, for me the longest for this time of year. We did go through Pajara, and also Betancuria and a few other villages. As you say, a really nice place to get in some kilometers!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other question that has occurred to me, Damon - the x-ray view on the p5simplyfaster site doesn't show the Di2 control box anywhere. Is there a place where the control box is intended to go that keeps it out of the wind but still easily accessible?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
One other question that has occurred to me, Damon - the x-ray view on the p5simplyfaster site doesn't show the Di2 control box anywhere. Is there a place where the control box is intended to go that keeps it out of the wind but still easily accessible?

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, took me a lot of staring at that picture and wondering if I was going blind before I finally spotted it stuck on the side. I think I'll be sticking with mechanical gears, then.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could always put it on the top of the stem area especially if water bottle is there. could always keep it inside stem too. only loose low battery indicator and easy accessibility to adjust gears.
would have been really cool if 3T built a recessed area on top for that to go. i think i have seen a photo of someone on this forum do cut out the top of their shiv stem are to drop that junction box in.
anyway hardly a reason to give up Di2 (but then again I love it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very similar to the trek SC then. I have short cranks and have clipped my pedals several time in fast bends on the SC9. I think that while the lower BB makes the bike more stable its dire for technical or fast courses. Averaging over 30-31mph for 25miles means that handling in bends etc becomes more critical and the SC was dangerous. Not sure how much there is between the P5 and SC BB drop but cant impagine it will be fun in ebnds at speed. Therefore, I'd caution anyone using lower BBs and intending to go fast anywhere technical.

on the P5 am impressed and looks the dogs danglies. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great photo, thanks Epic-o for posting it!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We considered where to best put the Di2 junction and the side at least has it in the wake of the base bar. On top is also a good opition, symmetrical and visible, but seems like it might be in the flow over the stem.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi studodd,

Yes, clipping a pedal is a shock when it happens unexpectedly! Another reason to consider short cranks. How long are yours?

Also, related to that, the P5 BB is only 5mm lower than most road racing bikes, and not as low as Trek's Speed Concept. Check the BB Drop dimensions to compare bikes. Most road bikes have around 70mm drop. The P2, P3 and P4 have 60mm: less drop, so higher BBs. The P5 is a nice low-middle 75mm drop. Trek's SC is at 8cm. It can be surprising how much deeper you can pedal with the 5mm higher BB on the P5.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I can't believe I read the whole thread and found no data! Where is the data? Did I miss it?

Quote Reply

Prev Next