Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,

Can you explain the fork/stem spacers system? Or better yet, can you show us a picture?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I mean, Damon:

So it says the levers are included if you get the pre-built bike, but not if you get the frameset.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
Hitting your front brake only is a recipe for flying over the handlebars..

This is the conventional wisdom... which happens to be completely BS.

To achieve minimal stopping distance (on pavement anyway) you do not use your rear brake at all. It's there in case your front brake malfunctions, and for newbies who don't have the skills to brake properly.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
Last edited by: matto: Jan 20, 12 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon, already indicated that the levers are included with the frameset since the brakes and levers form a complete system.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, it is a fear by the incapable or the unwilling. You don't know the limit until the rear is off the ground
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know, but he said the website looked to have been fixed, so I was showing him which bit I mean, as it still looks the same to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I'm going to give Damon a hand while he's busy with the launch.

@Steve - both you and Damon are correct. This P5 frameset includes matching RT8 brake levers. We'll have the website corrected shortly.

@Joe C - the P5 will certainly affect other models - when is the big question. We're always working on new projects and when we're ready to launch new models, ST'ers will be among the first to know (or even reveal the news!).

@jmh - much like the entire P5, the spacer system is also really unique. The steerer tube on the P5 is a standard 1-1/8'' - so traditional spacers will work when using a traditional stem/aerobar set-up. With the 3T Aduro, we include both 10mm and 5mm spacers that match the full underside of the "stem" for a seamless fit. These spacers are keyed together to ensure they stay put relative to the aerobar and each other - certainly another smart design from VWD and 3T given the system fits both the new benchmark in aerobar design and our traditional set-ups.

Thanks for the Cervelo support and we'll do our best to keep up with you.

Best regards, Jared.
Last edited by: jared_boudreau: Jan 20, 12 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
This is what I mean, Damon:

Thanks Steve. Webmaster should be making the update soon.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has the UCI legal version been submitted and gotten approval yet?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joe,

The P2 and P3 are still popular and definitely available for sale in 2012.
The P4 has stopped production, but you might still find some for sale in some shops.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Has the UCI legal version been submitted and gotten approval yet?

Hi styrrell,

There is one P5 frame, and it's been submitted and formally approved. The first batch will be painted without the stickers, and later when the stickers are available they'll all have them.

The P5-Three (3:1) fork has also been submitted and formally approved, but the UCI has no sticker program for forks. The P5-Six fork (6:1) is clearly outside UCI rules.

Although there's no formal approval system for bars, the Cervelo-3T Aduro aero bar is designed within UCI regulations.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi MTM,
Just compare stack, not head tube length. Remember BB drop affects head tube length but not frame stack. BB drop is 15mm more (lower BB) on the P5.

Correct, there is no room for spacers above the stem with the Aduro bar - the cables pass over the top of the steerer, so it must not extend. Cutting is permanent, so measure thrice, cut once. ;-)

Cheers,

Thanks for your answer. Had completely forgot about BB drop. That explains it.

Talking about adjustability, is the brake hose for the hydraulic brakes more rigid than a conventional brake cable? E.g. can you raise or lower your bars maybe an inch without adjusting the brake hose? For a normal brake cable you usually have some bending which will allow you to e.g. move your bars a bit up or down, but will the hydraulic brake hose be more restricted in this area?

Steve Irwin seems to suggest so and it also seems like you agree from your answer to him, but I just want to be sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Damon,

One more quick question if I may;

Any time frame on the smaller frame sizes as yet or is a matter of wait and see?

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Talking about adjustability, is the brake hose for the hydraulic brakes more rigid than a conventional brake cable? E.g. can you raise or lower your bars maybe an inch without adjusting the brake hose? For a normal brake cable you usually have some bending which will allow you to e.g. move your bars a bit up or down, but will the hydraulic brake hose be more restricted in this area?

Steve Irwin seems to suggest so and it also seems like you agree from your answer to him, but I just want to be sure.
It wasn't my intention to suggest that it's more rigid, the hosing on the Magura brakes I have on an old MTB feel quite similar to standard brake cables, but when you consider the routing, I wouldn't expect there to be that much scope for movement. What I was more getting at is that if you do have to change the hosing length, it's a bit more inconvenient than doing the same with normal cables, so I'm considering using a standard bar/stem and normal brakes initially, until I have the position totally nailed down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I guess it depends on how the hose is routed then - completely straight or with some bends somewhere to make it a little more 'forgiving'.

You will never have your position totally nailed down ;)

For the same reason I'm also more inclined to a standard stem and aerobar setup. Not a big fan of the UCI legal 3T bars, though. Looking more towards Felt and USE Tula or R1 (hope it comes out soon) - and only if it can take normal brake levers like the Tula if going for the Magura's. Decisions, decisions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I read that they didn't yet have the sticker and the artical on velo about the loophole at the junctions. The UCI has closed loopholes in the past, so its good to know that its been formally blessed by the UCI.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So bottom line, other than an extreme cool factor, can anyone tell me what crying need in Cervelo's current lineup prompted the P5?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [big-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big-w wrote:
So bottom line, other than an extreme cool factor, can anyone tell me what crying need in Cervelo's current lineup prompted the P5?

nobody was buying the p4!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any more pictures of the UCI-legal P5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone else was making a new integrated super bike and Cervelo felt the desire to twist the knife in just a little deeper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big-w wrote:

What crying need does Honda have to keep making a new version of the Accord every 4 years?

It's called making money by producing continually improving the product.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know for a fact that Cervelo could have done even more but held some of their stuff back for the next version. Any smart company would do this. You do not give away everything at one time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As usual, most people can fit on two or sometimes three different frame sizes. For the same fit coordinates, there is no aero difference between the various handlebar options. So use the usual fit considerations to break the tie: will you go lower or higher in the future, or do you prefer the base bar in one place or the other, etc. "
------------------
Damon,

Continued thanks! I'm a tad hard headed, but I think that may be a ST qualification.

Allow me to ask the above question another way. I've had my position the same for 15+ years. I remember back when the notion was to have a small frame and many road close to BMX size frames. Then, we wanted the biggest fame that we could make work. Lately, I have been in between.

Assume that all of the other considerations are a wash, you you hit the middle of two fit bands - either 54 w/ HV, or 56L is there a reason or recommendation to go one way or the other or is it just a coin toss. Really, just a coin toss?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that cervelo copied a Scott plasma frame and 3T and Magura made the special componentry, I'd hope that they have something else to offer. But I don't expect major changes. It's a nicer frame than usual from cervelo, though.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

The hydraulic tube seems about the same stiffness (or flexibility) as normal brake housing to me. There's not a lot of room inside the bar for slack, but I haven't played around with just how much might there might be. There's some room inside the cover too.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply

Prev Next