Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just commented further up in this thread that the new P3 answered all my requirements from the Cannondale Slice shopping thread from 6 weeks ago. And not just that, the cut out looks identical. In fact the rear brake attachment appears to be a direct replica. The cable routing on the P3 is much more aero as you'd expect from a 2013 bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I've not seen you start a thread like this for any other manufacturer other than Cervelo. Why not?

Dude - take a pill...if anyone is upstanding it is Herbert. He was for years at a competitor...and even when there was even keel on his reports. Herbert is up and up..period.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pito00 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:
I would just like to add that Cervelo has clearly made a goof on the naming of their new bike (as well as all of the publications covering the bike). It seems their calling it a P3. Its actually a P5-1.

Just though I'd help everyone sort out any confusion.

Oh man, you're so right that Cervelo missed out on using P5-1:

Maybe they didn't go for it because they're Canadian?

If we are going to go down that path, the Original P3 (Orion) is below....then again, the Canadian Air Force calls it the CP-140 Aurora

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I think I will buy a new roadie and get a coach instead. Will make me faster in the long term...

that will make you faster THIS season.

I learn some little tid bits on ST every now and again. One thing that amazes me is the time many here put to scientific details regarding watts and drag etc.....and all I can think about is...less time data crunch; more time riding.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twomarks wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the increased bottom bracket drop do?

Thanks,

twomarks

Slightly better handling (your center of gravity is lower) and , probably slightly better aerodynamics (virtually every ground vehicle gets faster if you punch a smaller hole in the air).

What would really be interesting is if, say a P3 was made specifically for the short crank riders. If you knew a rider was only going to ride 155mm cranks you could really lower the bike.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks styrrell!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I've noted before, the lower bottom bracket on the P5 has led to me scraping a pedal several times on turns (size 54, 170 mm cranks, speedplays). This has never happened to me on any previous bike (including my P2).
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Bobby11 noted thats the downside.

Edit, I just looked at the drop on various Cervelos. The Roadbikes are pretty normal, older tri bikes like the P2 are pretty high, and the new bikes like the P5/P3 are pretty low. Thats in comparison to average bikes from major mfg.

Personally I like the low BB on tribikes

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Apr 18, 13 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Campy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should heed your own advice? Since I was just giving him a hard time (and we were chatting offline about it).

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the VW/Audi point was that it's like having a VW priced so close to the 'sister' Audi that anyone with any sense will just swing for the Audi.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we still able to say Cervelo is Canadian?

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [BrianDrought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got that. I'm saying, why do we amateurs feel like spending the $5400 on a P3 (or upgrading to the P5 for just a few hundred more!) is an investment that we're entitled to? And not only that -- why do we STILL complain about the spec of a luxury purchase?

When the OP talked about installing his $1500 power meter, $200 saddle, and $500 aero bars, he wished he could save money on the "cheaper" P3 because he knew he'd replace parts. It's kinda like buying the slightly cheaper VW, but then replacing the tires and leather seats with the ones from your previous car. Sure, the car is an upgrade -- but you still have to stop at all the same red lights and pedestrian crossings. The better car didn't drastically change the commute.

For an amateur triathlete, any aero bike is an upgrade from a road bike, but we feel entitled to picking out the best -- and complaining about why ALL the manufacturers don't make one that's perfect for us. "Why didn't ABC look at XYZ's geometry? XYZ and PQR have it right. ABC didn't substantially enough evolve, so I'm not buying one."

Well guess what? You still have XYZ and PQR to choose from.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A better discussion would be if it is faster than the P4 and if it is faster than the shiv/slice tier two bikes or even better is it really faster than the P3 and by how much?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plotted the new P3 stack/reach on a graph. Well this looks interesting. Sizes 48 to 58 run down the middle almost a perfect straight line. Almost identical stack/reach ratio as the Trek Speed Concept.

Size 45 is very low and long just like the old P3.

Size 61 is very tall and narrow. Almost identical to XL Shiv and the 61 BH GC Aero.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Apr 18, 13 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why are you pedaling when leaning the bike that much? isn't this user error? I never got a pedal to the ground and really wonder how people manage to do that?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
User error? I guess I was pedaling and leaning in turns because I was trying to go "simply faster". I've quickly learned to go "simply slower" at turns 90 degrees or greater and hairpin turnarounds. As I think I said, I never experienced this on any bike previous to the P5. Look, I know that pedal strike is unlikely to ever be an issue in a TT or triathlon race situation; it is more likely that this is something that will catch you be surprise during training. It was just a word of caution, and certainly not a strong reason to not consider a P5 or the new P3.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
why are you pedaling when leaning the bike that much? isn't this user error? I never got a pedal to the ground and really wonder how people manage to do that?

My exact thoughts.....it's not like you would use the new P3 or P5 in a criterium...they are meant for timed TT events. I am a big fan of low BB bikes. When you have to connect a few switchbacks in a short distance the bike behaves a ton better having your center of gravity close to the ground.

I asked Fredrik Van Lierde last year if he was going to use his P5 at IM France. Anyone who knows that course knows that you can make up or lose a ton of time on the descents. At the time Fredrik had always ridden a road bike at IM France and he was also "slightly worried" about a guy named Armstrong and his descending abilities (oh man, I might just get banned for mentioning number 7 in a Cervelo thread....). Fredrik had already test ridden the P5 on technical stuff and was sold that compared to all the tri bikes he had ridden, this was a perfect choice. Keep in mind the previous year, he rode is road bike even though his tri bike was a P4.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredrik had already test ridden the P5 on technical stuff and was sold that compared to all the tri bikes he had ridden, this was a perfect choice. Keep in mind the previous year, he rode is road bike even though his tri bike was a P4.

dev, that wasnt related to handling. the p4 had no rear brake power. that is something important in those downhills..... yes, it had a rear brake but it wasnt really doing much. The p5 as full on braking power at both wheels. For handling, doctor Tom quickly teached me early in my career that tri bike can handle as good as road bike in downhills..... it s just a matter of practice and getting use to the different personality of the bike.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My exact thoughts.....it's not like you would use the new P3 or P5 in a criterium...they are meant for timed TT events.

Actually, if you look closely at the design and geometry of the new P3, it's not hard to predict that soon that it will indeed also be used as a road bike, kind of another option over the S5. So, yes, I think you will see them in criteriums.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure someone will, butits a very narrow group. One bike for everything pretty much is restricted to someone that just can't afford more than one bike, which leaves out bikes this expensive, and someone that travels to stage races and doesn't want the hassle of bringing two bikes on a trip.

Other than that geometry will always be a compromise, so it would be best to buy 2 cheaper bikes. For the cost you could likely get a P3 (older version) and a S3

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. Some people can easily afford more than one bike. But because they are city dwellers or might have a small home or apartment, they don't have the space for (or just don't want to own) many bikes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 19, 13 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you that,although you're still looking at a very small subset of highend bike buyers.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
My exact thoughts.....it's not like you would use the new P3 or P5 in a criterium...they are meant for timed TT events.

Actually, if you look closely at the design and geometry of the new P3, it's not hard to predict that soon that it will indeed also be used as a road bike, kind of another option over the S5. So, yes, I think you will see them in criteriums.

Is the derailleur hanger replaceable on the new P3? If it's like the previous P2/P3 (where it was not replaceable) then a bent hanger means the frame is toast. Not a good characteristic for a crit bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
It would be an expensive bike for crits only though.

But, considering that the price of the new P3 might move around a bit, with the right components, it wouldn't be that expensive for a single 'do everything' bike.

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next