Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow... those are pretty massive changes. This is exactly how I felt when Ford redesigned the focus. I never thought I'd say, "Damn, that Ford Focus is sick." Well... I never thought I'd say this either. I might fit a P3 perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are indeed.
Which is why some (who previously fit well) are very disappointed and others (like yourself) are thrilled.
Clearly Cervelo believes you are in the majority.
I switched categories now that they've introduced size 45.

severinj wrote:
wow... those are pretty massive changes. This is exactly how I felt when Ford redesigned the focus. I never thought I'd say, "Damn, that Ford Focus is sick." Well... I never thought I'd say this either. I might fit a P3 perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardKnox wrote:
I was thinking about this a lot last night... What makes any of us feel entitled to an "affordable" bike that's designed for performance at the top end of the sport?

What's more, why do so many of us seem to think that we're being inconvenienced when we look at a bike and scream "Those stack and reach numbers are AT LEAST a centimeter too long/short/high/low!"?

For decades, professionals rode heavy, flexy bikes with quill stems and "sub-obtimal" geometry -- and they did it faster than any of us can dream. Now, companies like 3T make their money on offering stems and bars that can get 99% of people to "fit" on any size bike (within reason) -- yet we don't cry that their stems only come in 100, 110, and 120 instead of those necessary in-betweens like 105, 113 and 118 to REALLY get us dialed.

Where's the line? We all make choices. Dev mentioned a high-spec VW vs an Audi. I'd argue that 99% of us only need a Honda Accord. You know why? Because we are not professional drivers. Should we start begging auto manufacturers to measure our arms and legs and install the driver's seat and steering wheel so that we no longer need adjustability? No. Like bikes, adjustability (and resale value) are king.

If any manufacturer put everything that every consumer wanted into its product, we couldn't afford to buy it, because they couldn't afford to produce it, and they go out of business. Then we're back to start-up companies that offer a utilitarian product designed to fit the masses. That's the way it's always worked, and I predict that within our own competitive lifetimes, that's not going to change in regard to bike production.

/rant.

By the way, tgarson, that wasn't directed at you -- just my thoughts on the situation in general :) I'll shut up and go ride my P2 now....

You know, I could buy the A6 or even in the 700 series beemer if I want, but my last car was as VW Jetta, and once I replace my 14 year old RAV4, I am looking at a VW Golf, but ideally I would like to buy a Toyota Yaris, because it does everything a car needs to do for me. It would get me around, and I can put my bikes and skis in it (don't laugh a buddy of mine puts four adults and all their skis and gear inside the car for short trips in town)....but your point resonates with at least me.

I think when they have this new P3 with Shimano 105, then they have a real home run. Actually the more I look at this new P3 if they have the "spec'd down version" it is looking a lot like my Cannondale Slice in geometry as well as the cut out etc :-). The new P3 meets all the criteria I set out and discussed prior to converging on the Cannondale Slice around 6 weeks ago.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=4496972;

One of the reasons I did not go with the old P3 at the time is that I did not like the stack, I did not like the reach, and I did not like the BB drop. I did like that the old P3 used all standard components and it is good to see that they largely stuck with that.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:
Thank you for size 45!
The geometry for this size looks ideal.

Now, when will this size be available?

X2

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the reasons I did not go with the old P3 at the time is that I did not like the stack, I did not like the reach, and I did not like the BB drop. I did like that the old P3 used all standard components and it is good to see that they largely stuck with that.

Ha! Different strokes ...

One of the reasons I will not go for the new P3 is that I do not like the stack, I do not like the reach and I'm really not much of a fan of BB right. I do like that the new P3 uses mostly standard components, but what was wrong with the old external BB cups?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [AustinTriCyclst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the delivery schedule per Cervelo:

In Stock Now: Sizes 51, 54, 56
Available in June: Sizes 58, 61
Available in July: Size 48
Available in Fall 2013: Size 45

Any idea about framesets only? In particular, the 48?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
[..] what was wrong with the old external BB cups?

Because said BSA Shells don't have sufficient stiffness to handle the average MOP Triathlete 2000W attacks.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno if we can get from ~68g of drag difference down to 5-10 with an upgrade from "3-piece Vision aerobars". There is a graphic on TriRig that has a pretty useless graph on it, but the drag difference is generally readable.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have not yet indicated when framesets will be available.
It is usually around the time that completes are available.

When 48 completes do start shipping, try to get your shop to just sell you only the frameset.

Shops have been actively ordering the NP3's.
The available stock is down and dates being pushed back (for a shop ordering today)

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kinda what I figured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the increased bottom bracket drop do?

Thanks,

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from making it easier to dig a petal and biff in a tight turn, I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically your saddle and bar height drop equal to the change in BB drop. So for two otherwise identical bikes (head tube height, etc.) except one with more bb drop and one with less, the higher bb drop will have a higher and the lower bb drop will have lower stack, respectively.

Decreases pedal clearance when pedaling through a corner (should NOT be an issue with non-fixed gear bikes), lowers your center of gravity by the amount of change. The lower cg is probably beneficial for handling, although in the millimeter amounts we're talking about, I'm not sure how much that *really* changes things. It also functionally shortens the chain line (VERY VERY MINOR)

In short: increasing BB drop is a good way to increase the stack of a bike without affecting the headtube length.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
Basically your saddle and bar height drop equal to the change in BB drop. So for two otherwise identical bikes (head tube height, etc.) except one with more bb drop and one with less, the higher bb drop will have a higher and the lower bb drop will have lower stack, respectively.

Decreases pedal clearance when pedaling through a corner (should NOT be an issue with non-fixed gear bikes), lowers your center of gravity by the amount of change. The lower cg is probably beneficial for handling, although in the millimeter amounts we're talking about, I'm not sure how much that *really* changes things. It also functionally shortens the chain line (VERY VERY MINOR)

In short: increasing BB drop is a good way to increase the stack of a bike without affecting the headtube length.

Thanks!

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:

Exactly. Except Cervelo did increase the headtube length too.

For a 56cm the Old P3 had a headtube of 125mm the NP3 has 133mm (+8mm at 72.5 degrees).

BB drop from 60 to 75 (+15mm).

Stack from 516 to 540 (+24mm)

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just like to add that Cervelo has clearly made a goof on the naming of their new bike (as well as all of the publications covering the bike). It seems their calling it a P3. Its actually a P5-1.

Just though I'd help everyone sort out any confusion.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I would just like to add that Cervelo has clearly made a goof on the naming of their new bike (as well as all of the publications covering the bike). It seems their calling it a P3. Its actually a P5-1.

Just though I'd help everyone sort out any confusion.

Oh man, you're so right that Cervelo missed out on using P5-1:

Maybe they didn't go for it because they're Canadian?

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not hold my breath on delivery dates. There are people waiting over a year for P5's including me
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 56cm and the Trek Speed Concept Large are almost identical stack and reach. The trial is almost the same as well. I wonder how the P3 and speed concept 7 with 3T Brezza bars and an Omega brake stack up to each other?

thoughts?
Last edited by: blackey: Apr 17, 13 17:07
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2 is getting older...a facelift coming for that too?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking along similar lines. All this talk about the New P3 is making me investigate the old SC7.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardKnox wrote:
I was thinking about this a lot last night... What makes any of us feel entitled to an "affordable" bike that's designed for performance at the top end of the sport?

What's more, why do so many of us seem to think that we're being inconvenienced when we look at a bike and scream "Those stack and reach numbers are AT LEAST a centimeter too long/short/high/low!"?

For decades, professionals rode heavy, flexy bikes with quill stems and "sub-obtimal" geometry -- and they did it faster than any of us can dream. Now, companies like 3T make their money on offering stems and bars that can get 99% of people to "fit" on any size bike (within reason) -- yet we don't cry that their stems only come in 100, 110, and 120 instead of those necessary in-betweens like 105, 113 and 118 to REALLY get us dialed.

Where's the line? We all make choices. Dev mentioned a high-spec VW vs an Audi. I'd argue that 99% of us only need a Honda Accord. You know why? Because we are not professional drivers. Should we start begging auto manufacturers to measure our arms and legs and install the driver's seat and steering wheel so that we no longer need adjustability? No. Like bikes, adjustability (and resale value) are king.

If any manufacturer put everything that every consumer wanted into its product, we couldn't afford to buy it, because they couldn't afford to produce it, and they go out of business. Then we're back to start-up companies that offer a utilitarian product designed to fit the masses. That's the way it's always worked, and I predict that within our own competitive lifetimes, that's not going to change in regard to bike production.

/rant.

Hear hear on the Honda line!

I recall watching a Top Gear episode a few years ago and they compared a 70's Super Car (Ferrari or Aston Martin or something) with the then new Honda Accord V6. The Honda killed the supercar in every respect, including accelleration and cornering!

I still ride my P2K from 8 years ago, and to quote Slowman from his review of the P2K, "this bike is not what's keeping you off the podium"

None of us NEED Uber bike that's just come out, and reality, it really won't win us anything except an empty savings account, but we all WANT one, and given enough cash we can have one. Just because it's what we want, doesn't mean it needs to be affordable (by each individuals definition of affordable)

By the way, tgarson, that wasn't directed at you -- just my thoughts on the situation in general :) I'll shut up and go ride my P2 now....

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ding ding

bobby11 wrote:
Thinking along similar lines. All this talk about the New P3 is making me investigate the old SC7.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
ding ding

bobby11 wrote:

+2
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the old p3 curve around the wheel design is old busted.

the new p3 and p5 and s5 is the new hotness.

Anyone else think that the new P3 seat tube looks a LOT like the Cannondale Slice (2008+ version, not the RS) seat tube?
Quote Reply

Prev Next