Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Thanks

to be sure, GP5000 25mm (not TL) works well on front wheel on this new P3 ?

Don't know.. so wouldn't try. usually not true to size when not TL
Quote Reply
issue with turning radius? Cornering? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, until know my P3 handlebar could turn only until about 60 degres and now I realize that it could turn more to 90 degre and it seems that I lost a small device preventing the fork to turn more than 60o?
I went to a cervelo store and saw that all bikes indeed are cornering only to 60 degres!
It doesnt bother me at all but is it dangerous, did I loose a piece blocking it?
Thanks for feedback
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compatibility all depends on the wheels used.

Anybody tried 25mm Conti 5000’s (non tubeless version) mounted on Zipp 808 NSW front and Zipp super 9 rear on the NP3 yet?

25mm 4000 SII were ok for me on the front, but I had some slight rubbing issues on the rear Super 9 disc. Maybe the 25mm 5000 will work on the Super 9?????
Last edited by: CG99: Mar 4, 19 3:46
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you busted a part of your frameset, i can't recall if it is in the fork or the frame but i would get the item broken replaced(ie either frame or fork) potentially you have cracked carbon and potentially, depending on your cable/stem set up you could sheer some cables(requires stem that covers cable opening behind stem) I dont think this part can just randomly fall out, rather the bike had to have had an impact of some kind.
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 4, 19 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There fork crown has a "pocket" moulded into the back of the upper surface. (pic 1). Have a look to see if this is damaged - if it is, consult your dealer.

There's a metal pin that is bonded into the frame. (pic 2) This may have come out, which may be as innocent as it becoming un-bonded or dropping out. Or this may have broken out and the frame is damaged. If the frame is damaged, consult your dealer.

Hope this helps. To drop your fork, undo the top cap bolt; un-tighten your stem bolts around the steerer tube (rear end of stem); release your front brake cable; and drop the fork out. When the fork comes free, your stem will flop around and your bars probably dive towards the floor, so support those with one hand.
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Mar 4, 19 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies - the above post was in reply to your post, ppkestrel.
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it seems that I lost the small piece!
There is no crack or dent on the frame but the small metal piece is missing!
Is it important or just minor?
Thanks again :)
Last edited by: ppkestrel: Mar 4, 19 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hello, I got the following feed back from Cervelo customer service so it seems ok!

Hi Philippe, the small rotation stop is included to prevent your fork from contacting the head tube. It does not pose any structural issues but you should be mindful when lifting the bike that the bars don’t swing quickly and damage the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it was just the pin and nothing structural or carbon, Phillippe!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting these pics.

Some questions.

1. What's the distance between the hole and the top of the tube?
2. What tool(s) did you use to drill it?
3. Did you fish the cable through opening by the seat post or did you drive it from the back and got it to go through the hole you've drilled?

Looking forward to learning the details!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I left a few millimeters of the plastic housing above the hole just in case some of the carbon came down at all.
2. I simply used a power drill and plain drill bit, just do it really REALLY slowing, with low torque and minimal rpms. Patience and decent lighting is key.
3. I'm pretty sure I went front to back

As long as you go slow and are deliberate it really is a pretty straightforward and simple project.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it.

Thanks!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Philippe with a P3
French ?

Philippe
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oui:)
French living in Paris after 20 years abroad (USA CHINA POLAND).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Paris too
Funny to meet on a international forum (with a strong Californian orientation... ?)
Doing the semi on sunday ?
Sables d'Olonne or Vichy ?
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am injured (meniscus surgery back in December) so no Semi de Paris this weekend.
I am planning to do Roth in July and 1/2 IM Vichy in August.
I usually run with Let’s Run Paris group and I joined recentry Expatrie Triathlon club in Paris.
I am a slow 61 years old athlete!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a slow 52 years old triathlete, recent to the sport
Hope your training will go as planned
Not part of a club, maybe I should
Doing the 1/2 Vichy also
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem with two P3's, with the first one Cervelo engineers told me via my dealer that I had been too aggressive in turning the handlebars!!! They also informed me that they had not heard of any other issues regarding this, well obviously from this post others are having the same issue. They refused to cover this under warranty. The pin that came loose had scored the fork and there was definitely carbon cracks inside the frame post. At the end of the day the dealer and Cervelo offered me a P3 frame that had a slight blemish on the seat post at a cost mind you that I worked a deal out with my dealer. I have ridden this new frame for 7 months and guess what....... Yes today the pin came loose and fell out completely while I was riding!!!! I noticed this as when I stopped and got off the bike the handlebars turned 90 deg and the brake assembly hit the frame and chipped the paint off. Luckily the frame was not cracked from what I could tell. This is obviously a design issue that Cervelo should be taking care of and their answer to Phillipe about being careful when lifting your bike as to not damage your frame is totally ludicrous on Cervelos part. Tomorrow I will bring these issues up with my dealer again and have them check if any other damage has occurred as the fork is scored quite bad, from the pin I assume rubbing on it as it worked itself loose.
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [TriTone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're saying that if a pin falls out that keeps the handlebars from hitting the frame when you turn the bars, that this is a design flaw? that without that pin your bars hit your frame and damage it? almost none of my bikes have this pin (1 or 2 of them do). is this the problem you're talking about? or is it something else and i just don't understand what you're writing? because, if this is it, somehow for the past 40 years i've kept my handlebars from turning around and smacking my top tube.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is the same pin that is on the p5 fork p2/3/5

on the 5, the pin in fork stops the aduro bars from shearing your internally routed brake/shift lines. on a p3,depending on bar in use, that could be an issue too

I have had mine since 2014, with no issues. if the pin is falling out and cracking carbon, then bars likely torqued too hard to side. I may change my mind in future is mine falls out
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is the pin?

I’ve had 2 P2s and 2 other Cervelos 18 years ago I think it was

All of them the handle bars could swing all the way side to side
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the pin loosens and falls out under normal bike use, including loading it into a car or putting it into a travel case, or just riding it, then it could be a design flaw. This looks to be a mickey mouse piece of engineering...epoxy a small diameter aluminum pin (maybe 1/4") directly into a carbon fibre housing, without a metal insert to distribute impact loads that will happen over time and not providing protective bumpers on the fork. We know what happens to carbon when it confronts a metal pin. So what if the pin fails? Well the bars will turn through more angle until something else stops it. That's not a big deal. Damage to the hole that the pin was in and/or damage to the fork as it impacts the pin, could lead to carbon fiber frame damage. That could be a big deal.
Last edited by: Runout: May 5, 19 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My good old '07 P2C will not turn enough to contact the frame....too many brake and shifter cables holding it back!! Never a problem. I love that bike.
Quote Reply
Re: issue with turning radius? Cornering? [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runout wrote:
If the pin loosens and falls out under normal bike use, including loading it into a car or putting it into a travel case, or just riding it, then it could be a design flaw. This looks to be a mickey mouse piece of engineering...epoxy a small diameter aluminum pin (maybe 1/4") directly into a carbon fibre housing, without a metal insert to distribute impact loads that will happen over time and not providing protective bumpers on the fork. We know what happens to carbon when it confronts a metal pin. So what if the pin fails? Well the bars will turn through more angle until something else stops it. That's not a big deal. Damage to the hole that the pin was in and/or damage to the fork as it impacts the pin, could lead to carbon fiber frame damage. That could be a big deal.

right, but, again, to my question: if the pin falls out, does this not make the bike like almost every other bike? or am i missing something?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it does not make it like every other bike as the problem is if the forks now turn all the way the brake assembly hits the frame of the bike and this in time could cause frame damage. The pin is there for a reason which I assume is to prevent this from happening.
Not only that but as the pin has been working loose for whatever reason this has caused the hole it fits in to become deformed as it has chipped and broken the Carbon surrounding the hole and has also scored the fork as the fork has been turned when riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next