Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
How are these AG'er struggeling so hard?
---
Several reasons:
-They aren't so young. Older people just aren't as fast as they used to be
-No wetsuit, which is likely new to them in long distance OWS
-They put all of their training eggs into qualifying, Kona is just the victory parade
-They might be having a bad day
A buddy of mine got one of the 40 freebie slots to commemorate the 40th anniversary, so there's that crowd as well.
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
Several reasons:
-They put all of their training eggs into qualifying, Kona is just the victory parade

Well put. Wasn't one of the guys 80+ yrs old they said?
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Where I see this as differently, even though I think both are clear signs of "teammates" is that this instance, Dreitz isn't significantly giving up his own race....He's pulling a guy to the front of the field, this isn't like Chrabot who swam backwards/waited/took a nap for LS a few years back. And as I said, Lange has an teammate, and now about 8 other "teammates" now that he's in the chase pack draft pack now. So at what point does that come into play? Shouldn't he have to try and ride through, or is "sitting" in ok behind the pack?

But I do think this is obvious teammates helping each other, I just dont think it's necessarily the same as Chrabot/LS issue...even though it kinda is, but not at the same time? Does that make sense?

i have gone round and round on this with the rules folks at USAT, and you hit on it precisely. we've wordsmithed this with some precision. i don't know if any of that ever made it into the official rules. but, what i've argued for throughout is language that talks about "subordinating [or abandoning] your race ambitions" to another's race. that's what would separate legality from illegality. chrabot abandoned his own race ambitions, "ambitions" defined as tactics designed to get you to the finish in the lowest elapsed time. i don't see dreitz doing that (so far). i don't think it matters what country they're front or what kit they're wearing. it's whether dreitz feels that he's better off riding in that pack, with lange, or not. that would determine the legality of it, or should determine it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
Someone stopped for a penalty when they didn't actually receive one? That's rough
Currie last year.
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to anyone in particular, and apologies if already answered...did Kienle flat or have to change wheels? Front looks deeper than rear, and rear doesn’t have any stickers.
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did kienle have a flat his rear is different ... Sorry can't watch live
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
Not to anyone in particular, and apologies if already answered...did Kienle flat or have to change wheels? Front looks deeper than rear, and rear doesn’t have any stickers.
Yes, he needed a new rear wheel in the first 5-10 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to say I am very impressed with both Starky and Wurf, they are holding probably 20m between them.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
StokeTheFire wrote:
So I guess my real question is can Gomez handle the marathon, or will he blow up as a rookie on the island ie 70.3 Champs style??

And Cairns when Currie dropped him on the run....who by the way is sitting in the Lange/Gomez group and cruising....

Not that he didn't crack relative to Jan and Alistair, but he still ran a 1:08...

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
Several reasons:

It's the world championships for f****'s sake.

You don't necessarily have to qualify to get a number ...

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Oct 13, 18 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess i do misunderstand, because i thought i was reading pretty similar disdain for gomez's riding behavior.

Oh the disdain for Gomez is here and palatable, but it is a stupid tack to have. Guy is riding his race, planning for the last couple hours right now. But I hate Greg and the other mouthpieces that keep saying that Dreitz and Lange are teammates. THEY are from the same country, they are from Europe, but no one is a teammate today. There are plenty of teams of connivence out there, and they will change as the day moves on. Lets call them countrymen guys, until of course we see one drop back for the other and it is completely obvious that once is sacrificing their race for the other...
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
Several reasons:

It's the world championships for f****'s sake.

You don't necessarily have to qualify to get a number ...

And how sad is that..

Anyways: close-ups on lange's bike show an empto bento.. he surviving on just liquids? He'll be peeing like a horse by the time he get's off his bike haha
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Kona drinking game, take a shot every time you hear the commentators say "you'll see the likes of..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally, the womens split is up:

Pro Women - Thru Bike Split 7 - 41.75 mi

1 2:34:02 Lucy Charles F2
2 2:42:04 8:02 Daniela Ryf F1
3 2:42:05 8:04 Sarah Crowley F3
4 2:44:38 10:36 Corinne Abraham F25
5 2:44:56 10:54 Jocelyn McCauley F16
6 2:44:57 10:55 Liz Blatchford F21
7 2:44:58 10:56 Helle Frederiksen F29
8 2:44:59 10:57 Michelle Vesterby F20
9 2:45:02 11:00 Anne Haug F35
10 2:45:04 11:02 Rachel McBride F26

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [ltc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ltc wrote:
New Kona drinking game, take a shot every time you hear the commentators say "you'll see the likes of..."

I'm already hammered

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [ltc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starky looked a little close there
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:

Indeed
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Have to say I am very impressed with both Starky and Wurf, they are holding probably 20m between them.
From the 42mi to 50mi splits, they put in about 40s on the runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:

I was just about to say that this was the first time in history that Starky was drafting and had someone to draft....Josh meanwhile is playing it really safe, and he has the lightweight climb advantage so should be able to stay with them. This is where Wurf toasted him last year....he's been waiting to not get dropped by these guys going up to Hawi. As slowman said, Josh may have played out his matches much better this year
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I hate Greg and the other mouthpieces that keep saying that Dreitz and Lange are teammates. THEY are from the same country, they are from Europe, but no one is a teammate today.

--------

I actually thought they were on the same sponsored team (Team Erdinger) thus the same suit minus Lange's world champ bands on his thigh.

(note- I think they are doing things on the legal as as Slowman says no one is giving up their own ambition, *yet*)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 13, 18 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dying to see the Sebi and Lionel really get into the mix and roll by Lange!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hope people notice that starky and wurf are not riding any funky positions. nothing arcane or really low, or long. quite unlike the current TT record positions. they look just like you and me on our bikes. same with most of the male pros in the first 2 or 3 packs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starky looked a little close there //

They were going uphill and he had just gotten passed(and it was a head on helicopter shot), come on guys, cut them some slack. You can't ride 112 miles and not be close at some point, especially with so many passes and lead changes. They are riding the same as the back groups, so a fair fight..
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Starky looked a little close there //

They were going uphill and he had just gotten passed(and it was a head on helicopter shot), come on guys, cut them some slack. You can't ride 112 miles and not be close at some point, especially with so many passes and lead changes. They are riding the same as the back groups, so a fair fight..

Fair enough
Quote Reply
Re: The official 2018 IRONMAN Kona World Championships thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a closeup of Lange a few minutes ago that showed a lot of wrinkles in his Tri suit shoulders. Would he be more aero in a sleeveless?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next