Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on how you measure effective...we used a wind tunnel to measure it.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [jsargevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SOLD as is for about $10,000?

t~
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that they estimate it at $7k in triathlete mag.

I am sure that more will be known as time moves on and SuperDave can talk about it more freely.

It does look pretty sweet. It will be interesting to see what other TT/Tri bikes come out at Interbike.

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear you and Gerard debate this topic (or the engineers from your respective companies). Not saying you are wrong or he is wrong. And I don't own a Cervelo or a Felt. But he has posted before about things like the integrated fork area on the TTX or front wheels cutouts as being ineffective. Maybe you guys figured it out, I don't know.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a call back from a dealer who said $7K and will be sold as seen only. The B2 will have carbon rear and will be offered without the Zipp 404 as sold previously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the bike is very well done. They have taken a few things from different sources and made something well thoughout. The hidden rear brake looks very well done, internal cable with the entry behind the stem, horizontal drop-outs, rear wheel cut-out with it wrapping all the way up to the seat-stays, the bottom bracket raised, intergated forks and the sculpting on the down tube.

What I am disapointed in is that ugly seatpost clamping fiasco. I understand why it is done but it has to the one of the ugliest systems ever. I have not read the article but I would assume that the seat angle is around 75 degrees if one used a zero offset post. 78 in the forward position and 73 in the rear position. I am probably out a degree each way but still, why not use a better system to achieve what you are doing. I know that you would like to accomidate TT and Tri but why not offer a forward seatpost and a rearward seatpost and maybe a third with zero off-set. Such a nice bike made ugly by that seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this bike a Zelt or a Fipp?

They should of made it steeper. But it looks amazing regardless.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to hear you and Gerard debate this topic (or the engineers from your respective companies). Not saying you are wrong or he is wrong. And I don't own a Cervelo or a Felt. But he has posted before about things like the integrated fork area on the TTX or front wheels cutouts as being ineffective. Maybe you guys figured it out, I don't know.
Rear wheel cutouts are also uneffective and I never saw Gerard complain about that.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [trinitythlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a seatpost with a rearward offset, another with a forward offset, and a dual position post would make sense to you?

Stay tuned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you supposed to put your bento box on that thing?

(just kidding)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[GASP]

Somebody better put some STRAIGHT or S-BEND extensions on there QUICK! I mean, who still uses those slow, old school upturns anyways?

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A better size for the screen.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will expand on my opinion a bit more with the seat angle information that you have posted. With the seat post that is offered why not just have it set up at 78 with a zero offset post. You could effectively move the seat forward enough to get 80 degrees. Especially since in the picture you have the seat in the most rearward position. If it was a zero offset post then the seat would be in the most forward position. I think that the dual postion post like used on this bike are personally ugly as all heck.

I do like 95% of what was done but I think the complete fit and finish are diminished with that seatpost clamp.

Dave. Who is this bike being marketed to. Triathletes or Roadies?

Both? If this is the case then were do you see most of your sales coming from. I just think for a bike that cost $7000.00 that when you go to get fitted maybe the company should offer a forward or rearward seatpost depending on what style of riding you are doing. Ideally I would just offer a zero offset post.

I would like to know more about why it was designed this way and what the thoughts were on the marketing of this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I like about the bike:
  1. Rear-wheel cutout
  2. Super-clean cable routing
  3. Looks like it has an adjustable look-style stem. if so, I like.
  4. Look and BMC-style front fork.
  5. Aero bottle on seat tube, where it gives the most benefit. However, I think you should have a second bottle on the downtube--- Two bottles plus a front aerobar bottle are useful for IM distance racing. Two bottles are useful for training.
  6. Brakes above the BB--- That is a cool location for the rear brake. I've never seen it above the BB like that. Only concern here is maintenance. I look forward to seeing close-ups of that one. I wonder if they used the BB material to smooth airflow around that brake?
  7. Zipp 808s are great, but I think they should go with clinchers. I don't believe that anyone makes consistently excellent tubulars available to amateur cyclists.
  8. Cool handlebars! I did not know that Zipp was back making tri bars.

The only thing I don't like is the seatpost--- Wish I had one that was superclean and only supported the forward position.

That is one sweet bike! Nice job.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This project was to create the fastest UCI legal bike, it is very tough to make a dedicated 78 degree bike UCI legal, in fact the seat angle varies with each size to maintain compliance as the height increases.

Again, you've only seen pictures, certainly you'd expect the stem to come in different sizes and configurations to suit different riders, correct? Wait until the full release as many of your issues will be solved.

Regards,

-SD

Last edited by: SuperDave: Aug 28, 06 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope there's going to be a version w/o the fancy race wheels (already have 606s) and $1500 aerobars (I've seen and touched the Zipp bars...they are WAY nice but way over the top). Now, that would be cool.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: Shawn-: Aug 28, 06 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  1. Rear-wheel cutout -NO BRAINER ON A SEAT TUBE THIS DEEP, WHAT YOU DON'T SEE IS THE 25MM FRAME WIDTH
  2. Super-clean cable routing - ALSO WIND TUNNEL DEVELOPED, THE LOCATION ON THE ENTRY WAS A HUGE PROJECT
  3. Looks like it has an adjustable look-style stem. if so, I like. - THIS IS TOTALLY UNIQUE, I'LL SHARE MORE ABOUT WHY/HOW SOON
  4. Look and BMC-style front fork. - SEE STEM
  5. Aero bottle on seat tube, where it gives the most benefit. However, I think you should have a second bottle on the downtube--- Two bottles plus a front aerobar bottle are useful for IM distance racing. Two bottles are useful for training. -YOU'LL BE ABLE TO CARRY TWO BOTTLES, AGAIN, YOU ARE LOOKING AT A PICTURE, NOT THE PRODUCT RELEASE FROM FELT
  6. Brakes above the BB--- That is a cool location for the rear brake. I've never seen it above the BB like that. Only concern here is maintenance. I look forward to seeing close-ups of that one. I wonder if they used the BB material to smooth airflow around that brake? -HOW MUCH DO YOU WORK ON YOUR REAR BRAKE, EVEN BELOW THE BB LIKE THE HOOKER, ZIPP, AND PINARELLO THIS IS FASTER, THE BRAKE IS INSIDE THE SEAT TUBE, NOT BELOW THE BB
  7. Zipp 808s are great, but I think they should go with clinchers. I don't believe that anyone makes consistently excellent tubulars available to amateur cyclists. - NOT THE WHEELSET FOR EVERYONE I AGREE, BUT SUITABLE FOR THE LARGEST POPULATION OF OUR CONSUMER OF THIS BIKE.
  8. Cool handlebars! I did not know that Zipp was back making tri bars. - THIS IS BEST LEFT TO ZIPP, BUT AT SUB 700 GRAMS WITH L, STARIGHT, OR S/R BEND OPTIONS, THIS ADJUSTABLE BAR IS NEAR LIMITLESS IN CONFIGURATION, AND AT $1500 ALONE, IT IS AN AMAZING PIECE.
Regarding the single post clamp, you haven't seen the details on the bike, so reserve judgement. Like the L bend aerobars options are coming.

Last edited by: SuperDave: Aug 28, 06 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any word on geometry? Like specifically, what is the smallest 700c?

I gotta say, that thing looks good in all the right places.

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
  1. Rear-wheel cutout -NO BRAINER ON A SEAT TUBE THIS DEEP, WHAT YOU DON'T SEE IS THE 25MM FRAME WIDTH
That is what I was really curious about, why it wasn't deeper in some areas. Thats a good answer to my question though. Another reason a picture isn't the best way to see something
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Rear wheel cutouts are also uneffective and I never saw Gerard complain about that.

There's a big difference between a front wheel cutout and a rear wheel cutout. The front wheel turns sideways, making it much harder to optimize the airflow in all situations. We were probably the first company to have a bike with a front wheel cutout in the windtunnel (the Baracchi has the biggest front wheel cutout you can make), and the demands on the shape of the downtube are very, very tough. It can certainly be done, but I haven't seen anybody come close. It is sort of like fork blade spacing. Either you put the blades very far away from the wheel, or very close, but somewhere in the middle is usually quite bad aerodynamically. Same with a front cutout. Either you put it very close and really design the shape to pick up the airflow correctly in all common steering angles (which would be a shape nowhere near a traditional airfoil shape) , or you keep the downtube quite far away from it (which would be a normal, straight downtube with normal airfoil shape) so it can reattach the airflow. Anywhere in-between spells disaster (well, in the limited sense of not so good aerodynamics, in the grand scheme of things people will live).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like what I see, other questions as pic can't provide go enough clarity to determine.
Is the head tube standard meaning part of the frame (the way it looks) or like the Look track and tri frame where the head tube is integrated with the fork and moves with it.
Rear brake-how easy is it to swap out brake pads and center the brake on the wheel, basic maintanance? ask because at $15-25 dollars a pop for brake pads for carbon wheels I prefer not to use them on my aluminum rim training wheels?
Any chance you are going with a 1" steerer since this bike is all about aerodynamics?
I love the adjustable stem, since it is all about fit on your bike this is key, and that you will be putting two bottle mounts on the frame.
Look forward to seeing it in person and mayberiding it.
Branden

"Here's to the finely tuned athlete on the verge of greatness"-Romeo, Tin Cup
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52cm is the smallest size with 700c As pictured in the tri position, the seat angle is 79.65 degrees and the top tube is 50.3 cm.

-Regards,

SD

Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [trirakita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The head tube is standard, not like the Look or BMC, if you get to Kona and your fork gets crushed, just drop in a Easton, or any 1" fork and you can still race albeit without the Bayonet Integrated Advantage.

The rear brake pad inserts can be removed with the rear wheel removed.

The steerer on the DA is non-exsistant, it is external and closer to 1.6" in cross section, about 30% stiffer than a 1.125" alloy steerer. The head tube will accept a 1" fork.

Loads of subtle details here, seeing it in person is certainly the way to experience them all.
Last edited by: SuperDave: Aug 28, 06 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to add the one major thing I don't like about the new Felt--- It makes me want a new bike. I already started running scenarios through my head about how to approach Mrs. Kase--- When I run them through to the end I get one of three outcomes: (a) My wife realizes that all of the proceeds from her part-time job have just funded my new tri bike and then proceeds to kick my ass. (b) My wife figures out that the Felt "beach cruiser" I just bought cost $7,000 and kicks my ass. (c) I buy the bike, run away from home and start riding it 24 hours a day, my wife tracks me down and kicks my ass.

I think that that machine is going to cause a new wave of strife through the working-class families of Slowtwitch. . . Does DA stand for "Divorce Assured?"

-Marc
Quote Reply

Prev Next