The new FLO wind tunnel results are out
Quote | Reply
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-tunnel-results.html

I think the appropriate response is..."wow"
Last edited by: asad137: Apr 8, 13 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vittoria Triathlon tire is a winner on the rollers. Not so much in the tunnel. WOW is right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very interesting to me is how the Flo 90 becomes relevant with the conti tire on it.

and how bad the vittoria is!

Though you could still use that vittoria on the rear of a tri frame I imagine.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some of the Vittorias (ugh). I'm now thinking I'll be using that on my rear covered wheel and the GP4000s with my Flo. I'm shocked with how bad they are compared to the conti.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it also clears up any issues they had with the old manufacturing plant. Makes more sense now with the graph on the 60 versus 90. Very interesting stuff!

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the data helped to make me feel better about my choice to switch from the Supersonics to the 4000s. According to some recent data, it rolls just as fast (crr), with the added protection. Add to that now the aeroness, it almost seems like a no brainer to run the 4000s over the supersonics. Of course, there is still lots of other data to suggest the supersonics are still faster, but not by much, and perhaps not at all if you factor in the wind. Of course, we would also need to see the supersonics in the tunnel before we get too excited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the aerodynamics of the gp4000 tubulars are enough to overcome the butyl tube, vs the vittoria; at least as a front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria tire blows...

Glad I have been using 4000s for awhile!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I need to get a 90 for the front.

Anyone want a 60?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how the Conti Attack stacks up against the GP 4000S aerodynamically?

Just put Attack's on my FLO's a few weeks before reading this, hope that wasn't a poor choice.
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to say how the attacks will do. On some other comparisons, from zipp, narrower tires, the attack specifically, did better at low yaw than the 4000S, but worse at high yaw. However that was on the 303, which is wider than the 808 and 404.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparable on a Zipp 303; though joshatzipp has said that its aerodynamics suffers more from wear than the 4000s.
http://i46.tinypic.com/3500z06.png
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [cstoulil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right here!!

CC

cstoulil wrote:

Anyone want a 60?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance we think the data would be different if testing the Vittorias across the other wheel depths - 60, 90 and disc? Looks like they only tested tires on the 30. Just wondering if the slightly different brake track would affect the aeroness of the tires tested.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well ... the nice part is there isn't a big enough difference between the R4 and the 4000s to warrant going out and buying a set to replace them until the R4's wear out.

I kinda wish they had tested the R3 instead since it's a true 23c tire compared to the R4 which is a 22c. I've found the interface gap between the aero wings and rim when using Bontrager tires to be wider when comparing the R4 to the R3/2 tires, which could effect some of the wind tunnel results ... not by much, but as we can see, a little can make a big difference.

If Bontrager could get rid of the gap all together, it could make for a very fast tire ... and maybe look at putting some treat pattern on the tire since it appears that can make a difference in aerodynamics.

There still isn't a huge difference between the 60 and 90 until you get to higher yaw angles ... so if you ride fast, it will still make a difference, but not a "Huge" difference.

Good to see the re-testing and commitment to building, fast, reliable and inexpensive wheels by the guys from FLO.
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
Well ... the nice part is there isn't a big enough difference between the R4 and the 4000s to warrant going out and buying a set to replace them until the R4's wear out.

Agreed. Though now I'm considering selling my (unused) 60/60 set and getting a 90/90 set instead!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in the 60s ;)

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [cstoulil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cstoulil wrote:

Anyone want a 60?

+1, not happy about this.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
The Vittoria Triathlon tire is a winner on the rollers. Not so much in the tunnel. WOW is right!

Do we have results that show combined effect yet? Ie who is the winner when Crr and Cda are considered?

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-tunnel-results.html

"We use the industry standard that states 80% of the time spent riding your bike you experience a yaw angle between 10 and 20 degrees."

What? In a TT?
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
cstoulil wrote:

Anyone want a 60?

You do realize that the wheels are almost identical until you reach 15 degrees of yaw? I doubt you really spend much time riding at 15 degrees or higher. And while I've never ridden a 90, it is supposed to be more sensitive to crosswinds than the 60, which seemed a bit sensitive to crosswinds to me for a 60 mm deep wheel (don't get me wrong, great wheel, just passing on my observations).
Quote Reply
Re: The new FLO wind tunnel results are out [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
bobby11 wrote:

Do we have results that show combined effect yet? Ie who is the winner when Crr and Cda are considered?

you could correlate from this post: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_engine#4507775

Conti 4000s tested just ever so slightly slower than the Vittoria for Crr. Based on the above chart, easily within range for the 700x23 4000s to still be faster on the 90 than the Vittoria(s).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
cstoulil wrote:

Anyone want a 60?

I was just about to ask if you people are seriously upset over an estimated savings of 14 seconds over 40k. 14 seconds. estimated.

But I suppose I can buy it, I can see how that given the choice, now you'd rather have the FLO 90. But if this is any more than mild disappointment, then, well, good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Epic-o will chime in with exactly what this chart represents, but this appears to be the chart that is closest to reality. And I'd guess that >80% of the time, the yaw is under 10 deg.

Quote Reply

Prev Next