Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Gwen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The straw that broke the camel's back ?
Where's the Ironman Spirit in there ??

Join our "Say to to Ironman $$$ Sport Business" group on FB to disagree !!
http://www.facebook.com/...39068739298&ap=1

CU

LoL
Gwen, j'ai mis le lien 4 messages plus haut…
;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

CU

The straw on my Camelback did break one time when it froze while I was riding at -5C.

Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"YOu'd do the same in a heartbeat if you could."

That's quite an assumption.

Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this was posted in here already:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7478523/

SMC
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm a bit amused that a lot of my tri friends on FB are all of a sudden professing their interest in Rev3 after this lovely WTC bit of capitalism. Who's to say Rev3 isn't going to go down the same path that Ironman/WTC did over the years? They may want blackouts around their races. I'm not so sure they're going to be the angel to complement WTC's devil.

Well Rev3 really started because they saw they shift in the WEH/WTC and wanted to do races that were more about the "Athlete" and family.

Lets see... Rev3 lets people cross with loved ones? WTC?

Could they change down the line? Maybe, but I doubt it. I have had the pleasure of meeting Todd, Heather, and Eric and know a lot of their views and what they are trying to do.

The thing to remember is what IRONMAN WAS, is not what IRONMAN IS any more. There is a clear distinction to me the folks that build up Ironman, and now the folks who OWN Ironman, which is a Financial / Hedge fund firm

Rev3 I do not see spiraling into the money grab unless they SELL OUT like Ironman has.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [caffynator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry if this was posted in here already:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7478523/

SMC

Hahahaha. I love Xtranormal..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen on that... And the FB group!
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.facebook.com/...78523%2F&h=0aa31
funny

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So am I the only one that thinks this is a whole bunch of drama about nothing? In the end I think only a handful of people will sign up for this and in two years we will have forgotten all about it. The rightious indignation around here has reached comical levels.

I did my first IM in 2000, it was very much a commercial endeavor then, and I'm glad it was. Most of the grass roots, non-profit races of the day are gone now. I look forward to bumping this thread in a year or two.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Via twitter, Luke McKenzie asks...

If WTC didn't own the Hawaii Ironman would everyone still race Ironman brand?

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. This is the wave of things to come.

Ironman is now the property of a Bank/Hedge fund.

Hedge funds milk money.

As I stated... This is the carrot. Carrot always comes first. I don't expect the program to be a huge seller, but I do expect to see in the next year or two the "stick" side of things where non-Access members have to pay higher fees or penalties as the WTC tries to lock in not just to pros but other athletes.

In short, if you want the best experience, cough up the money.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Kaka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

They still have the logo and Mike Reilley but I think Kona is the real crown jewel.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, this sport is loaded with Type A personalities. Most of us are successful and can afford to participate in IM events. For some of those same Type A people, IM is a big investment. Mr. Type A making $100,00/year with a wife and three kids is not necessarily free to spend money capriciously. The financial aspect of racing in an IM is still important to some Type A's. I think equating personality type and financial condition is not nearly as simple as you propose. There are many very driven people in this sport that are constrained by financial resources. Why make it harder for them?
Last edited by: A.Nicholls: Oct 28, 10 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Spartans!!!! Put a beating on Iowa this weekend.
Class of 1996
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got IMTX lined up for next year, but I don't imagine I'll be going in for any more WTC events after that. There's a good slate of races here in Austin and next year High Five is adding a HIM out in Kerrville that can take the place of 70.3 Austin in my schedule.

I think it's hard for many to properly articulate why these moves by WTC bother them so much. I can't imagine anyone has a problem with race directors making a living, even a nice one. But the several RDs I've met are motivated far more by their passion for the sport, the desire to put on truly great races, than by some goal of getting rich doing it. That perception may be mistaken, but the actions of the RDs don't contradict it.

The moves by the WTC, though, obviously strike most as being driven by nothing but short-term profit. Are the changes good for the sport? Are they even good for the brand in the long run? Most don't think WTC care. Is that perception accurate? It's even harder to tell than with a local RD. But again, the actions don't contradict it.

Is maximizing profit completely within the rights of the WTC owners? Certainly. It doesn't mean that people that have volunteered, raced, and have an emotional investment in the race can't be pissed off about it. It doesn't mean that people can't complain about what they see as long-term damage to a brand that, in some ways, they were part of building.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes agreed---while not universally true for those on ST it's my belief that's it more true than not that most people would (if they "could")

1. buy a faster more expensive frame than a cheaper, slower frame

2. buy better more expensive running shoes than cheaper ones if they felt it would make them faster

3. buy better, faster wheels

4. go to better cooler races than crappier, cheaper ones

5. stay at nicer hotels and eat better food

6. wear nicer clothes...

etc

this not to say that there are really stupid expensive things to buy. And some people are against spending money generally (better to give it away).

What I am saying is that most people in ST are the types that would tend to spend money on things that make them better (faster) triathletes and enhance their enjoyment of the sport.

I'm not condemning anyone for it--I just think that people who put down others for spending money on triathlon things in this forum run the risk of being hypocritical...
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sparty! class of 79--Magic was my man....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But please get off your high horse and stop railing on people who can afford what the WTC charges (or Porsche or the Ritz) and are happy to do
so. YOu'd do the same in a heartbeat if you could. !

Fair point.

But as I previously mentioned, the more exclusive IM becomes, the harder it may be for them to find the volunteers they need. What's the incentive to volunteer services that primarily (1) help WTC increase profits by reducing payroll expenses and (2) help make it more pleasurable for wealth elites to indulge in their expensive hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the fcat that there is a big Rev 3 ad next to this thread on my screen.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious and checked. The link went to Active.com where I learned that they sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

They still have the logo and Mike Reilley but I think Kona is the real crown jewel.

Mike Reiley is far down the list. Some people recognize his voice, but many do not care who says their name, in fact many participants probably do not even understand that someone said their name when they finished.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

CU

I am going to collate the folks that join on that group and then cross reference them against the participant lists for the MDot races. Any predictions on how many of them will be on both lists?
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 (I would have liked to have seen would have been some form of points or $$ discount for multiple IM finishers - reward the people/customers who have consumed the most product. Something that the WTC or no individual IM race has ever done. I was thinking about this when they did the last-person-standing thing at IMC this year, on who had done the most IMC races and the three guys who had done every IMC race save the first year( that's 27 IMC's in a row) were the last standing. My guess is that they have paid full-pop every year, for IMC)

This year the GFT called out all previous champions for free entry in there 20th anv race last week. They also had giveaway entries into the event leading up which is how I got in, not that the entry is steep to begin with. People who want the feel of the old days should check it out. I feel like I knew every participants face buy the end of the race. NICE!
Last edited by: ChrispyG: Oct 28, 10 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one (beside that one guy) is saying anything against those who are foolish enough to pay this fee for the privelage of registering first. I think most of the anger is unfounded, or at least unwarranted and that most of it is coming from people that have never raced an IM or will never.

My issue with the fee is the value. I see no value in the added $1000. It really is not a VIP package, it is a sucker fee. I would gladly pay $1000 for an entry if I could choose at my leisure which race on the circuit I wanted to race next year.

People will pay the $1000 because they we will more special about themselves, but that is it (because without a special bib, no one else will know they are special). All the better for them. I just believe that the number of people that see value in the fee is not great, however WTC really does not lose anything by giving people the opportunity to pay more. You can already score 'vip' passes fairly easily.

What they should do is create a package similar to what the pro-entry package is. For unlimited racing, that would hurt competitors.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
IM Access is now SOLD OUT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REGISTRATION
Sorry: Thank you for your interest in Ironman Access. The program is sold-out for 2011. For more information on Ironman events, please log on to http://www.ironman.com

either 1) lots of people liked it (likely) or 2) IM shut it down due to negativity (unlikely)
Quote Reply

Prev Next