Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [andydufrane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought a new benefit that they could add to the list.
WTC should do some sort of VIP Membership card.
Raced a 5150? You get 2 points
Raced a 70.3? You get 5 points
Raced a 140.6? You get points 10 points
You get 20 points in a year and you get to enter races early or late.
Or you can buy points. $50 per point. The more WTC events you do, the easier WTC makes it for you to keep coming back.
WTC then gives special "VIP Gifts" to the people with the most points (earned only, not purchased) at the end of the season. (They could give away an IM branded bed set or dog bowl)
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone else feel that this most significantly affects those that would like to qualify for kona? if you are an average age grouper, there are other options out there if you would like to compete in an ironman distance event.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my IM races before IM got "really big". Got the tatto well before people starting bitching about the free advertising. Actually didn't even do an IM branded race. GFT was good enough for the distance. It ain't "who" puts on the race......its the "distance" of the race.

I'd like to know of all the people bitching about prices, and too many entrants, and on and on and how they all hate WTC for making tons of money and how they are pricing the "core" triathletes out of IM events.........how many of these guys are signed up for an IM branded race : )

When I did my IM races at GFT the field was like 400-500 people. You could ride for 30 minutes and not even see another racer. The only bad thing about that was you always wondered if you had taken a wrong turn and went off course. THAT raised your heart rate : ) When the course got crowded you could actually see 1 or 2 other cyclists on the road.

There are tons of options out there......ya don't like IM.....don't give them your money.........race esewhere. I'd do GFT again before I did any other IM distance race. SommerSports treated all the racers like kings.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it just seems like the next logical step in a business model. Think of it like airplane seating--most of us are in the coach section of WTCair and having to deal with the pains associated with it: standing in line to sign up, or madly trying to log in to a website, or having to volunteer in order to stand in a slightly shorter line to sign up. Then guys at WTCair figured a certain percentage would pay a lot for a more exclusive package, and the IM-XC was born. Based on the success of the first class IM-XC, they've now come out with a business class package--some benefits and exclusivity, but not as sweet (or as expensive) as the XC.

You could argue rightly that a certain, small percentage of slots will now become less available as people can skip to the head of the line. At its worst, this is only a way to separate more cash from people who have even more disposable income than the rest of us; at its best, it's a useful way for people who plan on racing 2 IMs to be able to guarantee their slots without having to physically go to the race to sign up the year before. And could be financially reasonable for those people--the cost of flying, staying in hotels, and incidentals just to sign up could easily end up being over a thousand bucks.

Is it a blatant money grab? Sure--they're a business and always looking to make more money. But in the end I don't see how it will really impact my enjoyment of the race.

Just my 2 cents.

Riding the Awesome Train With: Dark Horse Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [mcnocera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone else feel that this most significantly affects those that would like to qualify for kona? if you are an average age grouper, there are other options out there if you would like to compete in an ironman distance event.
Quote:

Yep. And I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see new rules like the pros have to deal with. Age groupers accumulating points at races so they are further 'encouraged' from other events. Sad times.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman was already to the point where it was squeezing out regular people who wanted to attempt something extraordinary, and with the Access Membership, they've simply assured that IM will now mostly be raced by elitist douchebags. I hope the stupid entry fees and now the blackmailish Access Membership will encourage new IM distance races, and perhaps even more innovation with race distances (I thought the 101 was a great idea, but apparently, the market didn't). Lets start with a new tri series in which the distances for each discipline are relatively equal in time of completion. Give us swimmers a chance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disappointing. As it is, it's hard enough for the 'average' participant to get signed up for that (non-refundable) entry a full year in advance. I'm a fan of Ironman (ok, to be fair my first experience was a lottery slot to Kona), and am headed to my fourth next month at IMAZ, but it seems like there's been a shift in mentality. It's no longer about the sport and the lifestyle, but rather the money. WTC olympic-distance races? Ironman perfume, scales, and beds? Just seems to be getting out of hand. It's a shame that all of the product endorsements and superflous fees are overshadowing and tarnishing the sense of accomplishment and experience to be had from completing these events.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [brycebaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiousiity, who are "regular people" and why does WTC have any obligation to them?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [ironfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the least bit surprised by this tactic as it's been where WTC has been pointing.

the key thing to note, that in all but the most fervent markets for a sport, PSL's inevitably fail in almost all cases. For example, take the NHL. The toronto maple leafs are the center of the hockey universe, and their wait list for season tickets is years long (literally). they can sell PSL's and get away with it, if they had any to sell. The columbus Blue Jackets on the other hand, an also ran in the sport, the PSL's for their seats have literally killed the resale value to season ticket holders. it's happening across all major sports. Even the Yankees have had to drop ticket prices.

That said, it will work for a while. Races are full as it is, but as prices go up, and the economy underperforms, and the most desirable races become difficult to get into even if you qualify, people will look elsewhere.

As for the question of if you're bitching about WTC are you still giving them money? Well, we're doing Mooseman, because it's the only local-ish 70.3 that fits our schedule this summer. But our first IM distance race will be Rev3 Cedar Point, which is even on sale from an entry fee perspective for the next couple months. win-win in my book.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
There are tons of options out there......ya don't like IM.....don't give them your money.........race elsewhere. I'd do GFT again before I did any other IM distance race. SommerSports treated all the racers like kings.

I agree 100%. I don't understand the complaining at all. There are many affordable alternatives to WTC races that are as inexpensive as "ironman" races will ever be. Why bitch "sour grapes" at WTC when it is you that are giving them the "power" of the brand. Too many don't want to do the distance - they want to Ironman cheaper. If you don't want to pay for the Bentley - buy the Corolla!!! WTC us not the owner of the distance, just the Brand. If you don't think they are doing the sport to your taste or budget, support someone who is. There are many struggling non brand ironman races.

I was at the first GFT back in 1991 and again last weekend. The race has not really changed much. It still has that hometown feel and low key support. You still can get lost on the course as you are all alone. You can still get hotel reservations without a jacked up price. You can enter the night before if you want. No big screen, no Internet, not big expos, no pros, light competition, not VIPS, unguarded intersections, no one to draft off even if you wanted. No crowds, no one at the finish when the winner crosses the line (that was just sad). So if so many want this type of race, why is Fred losing money putting it on every year and WTC sells out a year ahead? I would love to see him get 500-700 entries instead of 250.

Don't blame WTC for giving people what they seem to want and maximizing their profits by doing so. WTC "Ironman" is not a charity, its a entertainment business. I think it was said of Disney actually "nobody goes there because of the crowds".

Quit bitching and support those who give you what you want - they are out there waiting for you.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Last edited by: support crew: Oct 27, 10 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another of those "great things" WTC has done for the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are tons of options out there......ya don't like IM.....don't give them your money.........race esewhere.

I fully intend to. But as they are now trying to monopolize and lock out other races for long time periods, I'd like someone to put a serious legal body check on them first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) launches an exclusive athlete membership program called Ironman Access. In addition to other member benefits, the program will offer advance registration for Ironman events worldwide before entries open to the general public. Membership into Ironman Access is on a first-come, first-served basis and will close once it reaches capacity.

Today United Airlines(UA) launches an exclusive business traveler membership program called UA Access. In addition to other member benefits, the program will offer, access to blacked out flight periods, express check-in, and a pass into the UA Access executive business lounge at select airports. Membership to UA Access is on a first come first served basis and to preserve exclusivity, will be closed once it reaches capacity.

So strange! ;-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to view IMAccess in the same light as I view other sporting events. Think of it this way...

You go to a NFL game and spend $100 per ticket for the game to sit in nose-bleed seats. $50 for parking and $9 for a beer. At the end of the day, you could have watched from you couch, had a better view and saved a whole lot of money...but the draw is to be at the game and be part of the atmosphere.

IMAccess gives you the ability to guarantee you will be at a race. So, if you don't want to sit and deal with the aggravation of 1) getting onto active.com 2) praying you get through and 3) hoping the site doesn't crash; if you have the money, then it might be worth it.

Pretty much, IMAccess is going to make the WTC a lot of cash and people are going to spend the money to guarantee entry into a race. So who is dumber? The WTC for offering this option or the people who are willing to pay it?

To be clear, I don't condone what they are doing nor would I spend the $1k to be part of it. However, I can't blame them for taking advantage of the popularity of their events...
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just out of curiousiity, who are "regular people" and why does WTC have any obligation to them?

"Regular people" are people who don't have $1,500 to spend to race an event. "Regular people" are people who make the median income in this country, which in 2008, was $50,000 PER HOUSEHOLD (not per person), and which is going down every year. "Regular people" are people who don't want to spend 3% of their annual household income on a single event. $1,500 is a barrier to entry for many regular people.

As to your question as to "why WTC has any obligation to regular people," I don't know why you ask that, as I assiduously avoided either stating such an opinion, or even intimating such an opinion. For the record, I don't believe that WTC owes any constituency anything other than what it offers them. If it offers a well run race for $500.00, it owes nothing more and nothing less.

The fact that WTC owes nothing to anyone, however, does not mean that they are insulated from criticism, particularly when they have what is essentially monopoly power over the IM distance event. Anyone who knows markets knows that monopolies are antithetical to free market functioning. Monopolies raise prices and stagnate innovation because they can, without fear of negative consequences. Even if the company exercising the monopoly created the market (as WTC's predecessors in interest did) monopolies are bad for business, and we are seeing that in action, with ever increasing race fees, and now a $1,000.00 annual membership fee. Such costs stifle participation from regular people, and put the sport more on par with polo and sailing. That is why elitist douhebags will love this move- they can separate themselves from others by participating in a sport that others can not because of their economic status.

And that is why I concluded my original post with the hope that the increasing prices and heavy-handedness of WTC will spawn innovation and competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, and for sure anyone can be critical of their decisions. But it is a voluntary program and has no bearing on the current standard entry fee or procedure for "regular people", so the cost isn't $1500, it's still the same, what $550 or so. The fact that they sell out so quickly isn't WTC's fault and if anyone wants to do the their race, they can either show up on site or hope they are fast on Active.com. Or for $1000 extra, they can sign up at their leaisure early. As has been mentioned, WTC is a premium brand, they don't have to make their events affordable. If I were them I wouldn't as long as the market is there.

And the demographics of Ironman participants, WTC's clients, is far away from your definations of regular folks. So if regular people as per that definition don't race Ironman, why would WTC cater to them?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 27, 10 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow. That is F'ing re-damn-diculous.
But, I guess the $1,000 fee might be the same thing that some people spend to travel to a race and volunteer.
I wonder how many races will even make it to on-line registration now.
In order of entry:
1. Ironman Access card holders get to the front of the line
2. Current year participants get to sign up the day before the event they are about to participate in.
3. Volunteers get to walk up the morning after the race
4. Non-volunteers get to walk up the morning after the race
5. On-line registration
6. Community Fund

I can't wait until they start charging volunteers to "volunteer" at the race for the opportunity to register early.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats kind of backwards. No one can compete with WTC unless they have backing of the athletes first. People have to support the local IM distance races FIRST. Then that company can begin to compete with WTC, not the other way around. There's no company that holds races and has enough capital, that can "body check" WTC without racers support first.

DO LOCAL RACES!!!

I'm out of IM races since it is no longer fun, for ME. But, I'd never do an IM branded race anyway. Its not my kind of atmosphere. WAY TOO many people on and off the course. The little guy gets my money.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmmm, Rev 3, mmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The fact that WTC owes nothing to anyone, however, does not mean that they are insulated from criticism, particularly when they have what is essentially monopoly power over the IM distance event. Anyone who knows markets knows that monopolies are antithetical to free market functioning. Monopolies raise prices and stagnate innovation because they can, without fear of negative consequences. Even if the company exercising the monopoly created the market (as WTC's predecessors in interest did) monopolies are bad for business, and we are seeing that in action, with ever increasing race fees, and now a $1,000.00 annual membership fee. Such costs stifle participation from regular people, and put the sport more on par with polo and sailing. That is why elitist douhebags will love this move- they can separate themselves from others by participating in a sport that others can not because of their economic status.

And that is why I concluded my original post with the hope that the increasing prices and heavy-handedness of WTC will spawn innovation and competition.

You must have a very loose comprehension of the term "monopoly."

At first you say they have "essentially monopoly power" and then go on to say that you hope this spawns competition. If they were a monopoly, no one would be able to compete. Right now, they are simply the only ones doing what they are doing. That is not a monopoly. That is a lack of competition through no fault of the WTC. The growth of Triathlon as a whole will spawn competition for the WTC. They will not be the only player for long. Not when they are getting the kind of ROI that they are.

I was thinking of opening a Triathlon store in my area. I would be the only store for at least 30-40 miles. That doesn't make my a monopoly.....

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team