Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The largest, most successful clubs?
Quote | Reply
i got into this discussion yesterday with someone. seems there are the following sorts of clubs, tho with some crossover. first, social clubs, not designed to make money per se:

L.A. Tri club
St. Petes Mad Dogs
Mullica Hill Tri Club
Tri Scottsdale
Golden Gate Tri Club
Silicon Valley Tri Club
District Tri
Rochester Area Triathletes

then there are the clubs built around athletes and coaches. so...

QT2 Systems
D3 Multisport
Alien Endurance
Team Big Sexy
AP Racing

and then finally there are clubs built around brands.

Wattie Ink
Cobb Mobb
Base Performance

this excludes school based teams and of course i'm only listing US-based teams here. i'm sure there are other specialty teams not included in the above categories, and i'm also excluding the charity-based teams in the 3 categories above.

what are the obvious teams i'm missing from these lists above? and by obvious i mean big, important, well run teams. and, what categories am i missing? basically, what's wrong or incomplete with my list?


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky Mountain Tri Club -- not sure I would have been able to figure out how to get involved in the sport without them. I think they are among the largest in the country.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. can you give me an actual number, tho? of active members?


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it was not stated, I am wondering if you are implying that smaller clubs are not successful?
Many of the more social clubs are successful because they are small.
Is the Tri industry missing out because there focus on big clubs?
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ones that come to mind...


purple patch
EMJ

(is timex still around?)

but I don't know whether those are "teams" or "clubs" or if there is really a difference worth noting....

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thx. can you give me an actual number, tho? of active members?

As of 2013, they had over 500 members. They are definitely in "Division 1" in WTC's TriClub program. In fact, that seems to be what you're asking -- what TriClubs are in Division 1?

Division 1: 400+ members
Division 2: 200-399 members
Division 3: 100-199
Division 4: 50-99
Division 5: <50

I think you're missing a category, too, which is "Clubs built around Bike Shops/Retail Stores". The two largest, most well known "clubs" in Philly are associated with bike shops
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if they fit neatly into any of your categories, but California Triathlon has well over 4,000 members I believe.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Jun 13, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Not sure if they fit neatly into any of your categories, but California Triathlon has well over 4,000 members I believe.
That one would come to mind, as well as Endurance Nation.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a triathlon website - drawing a blank - that has 80,000 registered users.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
There is a triathlon website - drawing a blank - that has 80,000 registered users.

I got nuthin'. Not a clue what you're referring to.

oh wait, I know. Tri-Newbies, right?

____________________________________
Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Winner of the 2017 50 fly east coast Smackdown. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6294538#p6294538
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Tri Club is a non-profit club. It has about 1,000 members. It has an elite team, training programs for first time triathletes as well as for veterans triathletes who race oly, HIM, and IMs. It also has its own racing series.


__________________________________________________________________________
My marathon PR is "under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
There is a triathlon website - drawing a blank - that has 80,000 registered users.

88,531, bubba!


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just run a US query on the IM tri club rankings. I suspect that will give you a pretty accurate picture.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Zoot team pretty big?

Instagram | floathammerholdon
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thx. can you give me an actual number, tho? of active members?


As of 2013, they had over 500 members. They are definitely in "Division 1" in WTC's TriClub program. In fact, that seems to be what you're asking -- what TriClubs are in Division 1?

Division 1: 400+ members
Division 2: 200-399 members
Division 3: 100-199
Division 4: 50-99
Division 5: <50

I think you're missing a category, too, which is "Clubs built around Bike Shops/Retail Stores". The two largest, most well known "clubs" in Philly are associated with bike shops

Team Red, White and Blue are consistently top three in Division 1.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

De Soto Ambassador
https://teamrwb.org
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes a club successful? I live in Tampa Bay and would consider the St Pete Mad Dogs to be a non-entity in the local triathlon scene which is dominated by Kennedy Law Racing (KLR) and Outspokin Multisport.

Also, I can't believe you mention QT2 and BSR but not Endurance Nation - the 5 time, undefeated, WTC Division One Tri-Club champion
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
What makes a club successful? I live in Tampa Bay and would consider the St Pete Mad Dogs to be a non-entity in the local triathlon scene which is dominated by Kennedy Law Racing (KLR) and Outspokin Multisport.

Also, I can't believe you mention QT2 and BSR but not Endurance Nation - the 5 time, undefeated, WTC Division One Tri-Club champion

i was just listing examples. they're just what came to mind.


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Why not just run a US query on the IM tri club rankings. I suspect that will give you a pretty accurate picture.

thanks. good idea. i just did that.

just, i don't consider a club's efficacy measured simply by how well its adherents to at ironman races. i can give you one example at least of a 1000+ member club not ironman ranked at all. so, while your suggestion was excellent, i'm also interested in the clubs that are large, growing, cohesive, return value, regardless of how well they fare on the ironman scale.


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endurance Nation!

800+ members at the moment, I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. To be "successful", the club at least has to be ACTIVE and have team cohesion and camaraderie. For awhile there, I thought St Pete Mad Dogs were defunct. You certainly wouldn't consider them a major club if you went to a local race and looked for people wearing their kits. As an example of team cohesion, KLR - perhaps the area's most prominent local team in recent years - put 34 athletes into IM Florida last year and already has 35 signed up for IM Ireland next year.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Gotcha. To be "successful", the club at least has to be ACTIVE and have team cohesion and camaraderie. For awhile there, I thought St Pete Mad Dogs were defunct. You certainly wouldn't consider them a major club if you went to a local race and looked for people wearing their kits. As an example of team cohesion, KLR - perhaps the area's most prominent local team in recent years - put 34 athletes into IM Florida last year and already has 35 signed up for IM Ireland next year.

that's good to know. because, not being from that part of the world, i would not have guessed a team that used to be quite a force had given way to other teams that were filling that niche.


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

just, i don't consider a club's efficacy measured simply by how well its adherents to at ironman races. i can give you one example at least of a 1000+ member club not ironman ranked at all. so, while your suggestion was excellent, i'm also interested in the clubs that are large, growing, cohesive, return value, regardless of how well they fare on the ironman scale.

I don't know if this comment was directed toward Endurance Nation specifically but, having been an EN team member for a year now I can say that it is definitely all of the above. In fact, I feel a much greater sense of camaraderie and cohesiveness with my EN team members than I ever felt when I was a member of Silicon Valley Tri Club.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Slowman wrote:


just, i don't consider a club's efficacy measured simply by how well its adherents to at ironman races. i can give you one example at least of a 1000+ member club not ironman ranked at all. so, while your suggestion was excellent, i'm also interested in the clubs that are large, growing, cohesive, return value, regardless of how well they fare on the ironman scale.


I don't know if this comment was directed toward Endurance Nation specifically but, having been an EN team member for a year now I can say that it is definitely all of the above. In fact, I feel a much greater sense of camaraderie and cohesiveness with my EN team members than I ever felt when I was a member of Silicon Valley Tri Club.

the comment wasn't directed at any club ON ironman's list, rather, clubs that are NOT on the list. there's nothing wrong with clubs that have high achievers on them. but high achievement in ironman racing, or any similar achievement ranking, is not the only way to judge a club's success. therefore, i'm wondering what successful clubs exist besides the clubs on that list.


Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't TRS and Baucco Squad one of the fastest growing triathlon clubs for a while? I feel like you always see those kits at every race, they have to have at least 100 members if not way more.
Quote Reply
Re: The largest, most successful clubs? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timex has both Performance Teams and Factory Team. Mark Allen has a small Elite Team. Locally Big Sexy has a presence, A number of local coach run ones (BBMC, E3, SBR) but small so likely don't fit your list.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://shopsalmingusa.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next