Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!!
Quote | Reply
So I started a few outdoor rides recently. I have a nice 10km loop from home that has all right turns and only 2 traffic lights so I can do it over and over again with only being 5km max from home at any point. So its fun, because I see many of the same walkers and joggers, and roller bladers on each loop (there is a wide multi use path beside the bike lane on a 4km stretch that you can put your head down on and hammer).

So I am kind of hammering away just as I joined this section and there was a guy in jeans and a hybrid bike around 25m ahead riding bolt upright.

I was riding on my TT bike and "should" have caught him quickly unless it was Frodo commuting or Froome pedaling with one leg and one lung. I was riding at around 40 kph and this guy was holding constant. Then we hit a 4-5% leg (the loop has 100m vertical per loop) and he just stomped on the pedals like he was Froome on Ventoux. He probably went from 40 kph to 50 kph....I went backwards fast!

I got totally dropped. I felt fat and out of shape. He turned left at the traffic light 1km later (I could not catch him on the false flat at the top). I kept on my loop wondering if my brakes were rubbing. I have no power meter so was not sure how "bad" I really was.

Anyway, it was kind of fun trying to keep up with a guy on an eBike and not knowing it!!!! But I can see the value of these things allowing mixed ability riding in groups.

Then I am on the next loop, same spot where he dropped me and I see he is on an eBike probably riding 70kph going down the same 4% grade !!!! Haha
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ebike...
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, off, it's time for you to get Assioma pedals!

Next off, that's happened to me before. There are def some dudes who like to mess with people on a nice day - I got dropped cold by a dude on a hybrid bike in jean shorts, and wearing flip flop sandals on a climb similarly a few weeks ago.

I was doing 300-320 watts on a short climb that lasts about a minute, and he passes me, pulls away, and then continues to pull away until he's completely out of sight - he was definitely dropping 300+ watts for at least 4 minutes at that point. Not pro/elite, but def not the typical casual noncyclist who can do that. Def not an ebike, either. Stuff happens - and yeah, it's hella weird.

I've passed a few ebikes on that same climb (it's the only route to the hills in my area, so a lot of bikers on that road of all stripes) - they usually make it up the hill but have that horrified look on their face when they realize they're maxxing out their ebike's wattage (many ebikes don't go over 300watts) and you pass them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me recently, and to add insult to injury, he had big round rear view mirrors on his flat bars, and was wearing a helmet bill, orange vest, and a backpack.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not the greatest climber in the world so I get passed quite frequently on climbs. Anyways, the first time I'm on Alp d'Huez I'm doing my thing and slowly climbing. I start getting passed by folks that look of questionable ability but I'm too tired to pay too close attention. Finally, I get passed by a very overweight middle aged woman who had no business passing me. It's then that I realized she (they?) were riding rental ebikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
But I can see the value of these things allowing mixed ability riding in groups.

Egos and power tools don't mix well. Just saying.

As you train and develop as a rider normally, you ride such that you can react and handle your power and capabilities in a group environment. Incrementally. Over time. It's not like you train for a month and go from an ftp of 200 to 450w. You trust a b-group rider suddenly moving up to the A+ hammerfest having never raced or ridden like that? I do ride like that a lot and it still can be hairy.

Combine that with ego on both sides of the e-bike and manual bike world, and that's not something I want to be part of in a group.

Now, if by group you mean two to three people touring the mountains of France on vacation........sure. Perfect opportunity to use one. Shoot, perhaps all in the group even the strongest should use one then! Or, a group of two to three out for a long weekend morning ride at a very leisurely and well spaced pace.

But actual 'group' riding. That's a big nope nope nope for me. I'd leave a group that mixes that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need the Triathlon Taren carbon insoles guaranteed 60 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you size people up at your local sprint and go...there's no way that person will pass me...you get out of the water at the same time, get dusted on the bike and don't catch up to them until you're 200m out from the finish...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there not max mph limit on ebiles in the US?

Its not worse than when the middle age womem riding her ebike to work overtskes me up the climb as i have to avoid getting a sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Its not worse than when the middle age womem riding her ebike to work overtskes me up the climb as i have to avoid getting a sweat.

Haha, I have no clue here in Canada if there is a limit, but if you get a semi strong ice hockey player (for example) with massive quads and power, and stick him on an ebike, suddenly that guy is going as fast as cars can go (if there is no limit on speed). Let's say an age grouper like me can go 40 kph on a stretch and the cars are going 60 kph, I don't see why with some ebike wattage assist that guy would not be able to keep up with cars (and would likely have fun doing it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

In the US Class 1 and 2 bikes only assist (pedal or throttle) up to 20MPH. Class 3 are pedal assist only up to 28MPH.
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
lassekk wrote:

In the US Class 1 and 2 bikes only assist (pedal or throttle) up to 20MPH. Class 3 are pedal assist only up to 28MPH.

is there some kind of a governor on these (I have no clue) or its just a law and if you ride electronic assist at 35 MPH there is nothing stopping you other than cop identifying that you're on an eBike vs a conventional bike doing a 35MPH sprint
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has happened to a lot of us, i imagine.

My wife and i rented bikes in Tuscany. Cycling along, i get absolutely SMOKED on a climb by some woman wearing a billowing gown/dress/whatever. I mean, crushed, soul taken, des-freaking-troyed. 20 min later, she goes by the other way. Another 20 minutes later, she comes and takes my soul yet again.

The second time is when i figured it was a e-bike.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

is there some kind of a governor on these (I have no clue) or its just a law and if you ride electronic assist at 35 MPH there is nothing stopping you other than cop identifying that you're on an eBike vs a conventional bike doing a 35MPH sprint

There is a governor the electric motor should stop assisting at 20 or 28 MPH. I don't know how locked down they truly are though. If you are buying an ebike from a major brand they may be difficult to modify. If you are buying a 3rd party conversion kit it could be a differnt story.

One of my friends converted his old mountain bike to an ebike. He can adjust it in software. I think his goes up to 28MPH with pedal assist or throttle so it doesnt fit nicely in the class 1,2 or 3 definitions. His is basically class 3 with a throttle, but class 3 is supposed to be pedal assist only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a story about some guy in California who wears jean shorts and work boats, while riding a single speed BMX style bike, and he can hang with anyone, including pro women on climbs?

Wade Cruser | AP Racing
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [WadeCruser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a story about some guy in California who wears jean shorts and work boats, while riding a single speed BMX style bike, and he can hang with anyone, including pro women on climbs?

I believe I have told the story of Ray here. He was a crazy bike racer in my day that would put on cut off jeans, high top basketball shoes, and an old ratty T-shirt, then ride the bike path on weekends. There are a ton of bike racers and other strong riders that ride that path, usually to get to smoother ride they are doing, and they hump it pretty good in the early hours when it is not busy.

SO he would latch onto the back of someone going 25mph and just sit there, while the dude would keep uping the pace to get rid of this kook. Then when they could not go any harder, he would come around and drop them, or force them to ride on the wheel of the weekend warrior. He took some sadistic pleasure in crushing the minds of bike racers. Then once that was accomplished, he would turn around and do the same thing to someone going the other direction, all day long. The workout he got was crazy, and of course what a bike racer should be doing. I guess I was a bit sadistic too, because I seemed to take pleasure in his escapades.

And no MOTORS!!
Last edited by: monty: Apr 28, 20 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [WadeCruser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WadeCruser wrote:

That's Shirtless Keith from Seth Davidson's blog:
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...-of-shirtless-keith/

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...rth-stood-still-ish/
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!!! Shirtless Keith and his pop tart nutrition is who I was thinking of!

Wade Cruser | AP Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex-GF and I were in SF and we rented a couple of hybrids to ride around on maybe 5 years ago. I made sure we got some that were pretty nice. We were down below the Golden Gate Bridge on the Sausalito side. As we were getting ready to ride back up a group of road cyclists came by. As they rode by I looked at my ex-GF. She said "Go ahead." In long pants, tennis shoes, with a camera bag on a rented hybrid, I dropped all of them. At the top I waited for my ex-GF to ride up and I nodded at all the riders as they finished.

Stuff like that is just fun.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm not the greatest climber in the world so I get passed quite frequently on climbs. Anyways, the first time I'm on Alp d'Huez I'm doing my thing and slowly climbing. I start getting passed by folks that look of questionable ability but I'm too tired to pay too close attention. Finally, I get passed by a very overweight middle aged woman who had no business passing me. It's then that I realized she (they?) were riding rental ebikes.

I climbed Huez a few times this summer and I’m a decent rolling course cyclist but at 180 pounds I knew people would be zooming past me. To avoid me feeling too bad about myself, I was climbing by 7am each time and all I saw were delivery trucks. Problem solved!

In a seriousness, I rely on things like this to keep my ego in check every time I think I’m getting fast.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once got overtaken by a 70 year old farmer in overalls and wellingtons.

It wasn’t until a few weeks later I found out he had been a world champion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeremy Powers was a decent US Pro on the Jelly Belly team and there is a story out there about when he was training some kid kept up with him in tennis shoes and an old bike. Jeremy pulls over and engages with the kid and gets the kid into cycling. I can't remember the kids name but he did end up being a Cat 1 racer and I think held a pro license.
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Jeremy Powers was a decent US Pro on the Jelly Belly team and there is a story out there about when he was training some kid kept up with him in tennis shoes and an old bike. Jeremy pulls over and engages with the kid and gets the kid into cycling. I can't remember the kids name but he did end up being a Cat 1 racer and I think held a pro license.

Anthony Clark-
He became for PRO CX Racer and represented the US at CX Worlds.

Crazy, Sweet, Passionate, Dude
https://www.instagram.com/tweakn101/

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: The guy in a jeans and a ball cap totally dropped me !!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I believe I have told the story of Ray here. He was a crazy bike racer in my day that would put on cut off jeans, high top basketball shoes, and an old ratty T-shirt, then ride the bike path on weekends. There are a ton of bike racers and other strong riders that ride that path, usually to get to smoother ride they are doing, and they hump it pretty good in the early hours when it is not busy.

SO he would latch onto the back of someone going 25mph and just sit there, while the dude would keep uping the pace to get rid of this kook. Then when they could not go any harder, he would come around and drop them, or force them to ride on the wheel of the weekend warrior. He took some sadistic pleasure in crushing the minds of bike racers. Then once that was accomplished, he would turn around and do the same thing to someone going the other direction, all day long. The workout he got was crazy, and of course what a bike racer should be doing. I guess I was a bit sadistic too, because I seemed to take pleasure in his escapades.

And no MOTORS!!

Monty-What was Ray's last name?
Quote Reply

Prev Next