Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The cost of a year out of marathon running?
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker and first time poster here.

I raced Kona in 2017. It didn't really go to plan and I left with a strong desire to race there again. However, I stepped away from triathlon this year and trained for two marathons instead. I ran 2:26:21 in the second one, which was a sizable improvement on my previous best time. While I'd ran stand alone marathons before, I seldom had them as an A-goal and never completed two consecutive marathon training cycles in a single year. I've no doubt this was factor in how well I ran in the second marathon. It was my intention to get back to racing Ironman in 2019, and I've already signed up for Ironman Austria, where I hope I can qualify for Kona next October. Now though, I'm wondering would I be better off sticking with marathons for the foreseeable future. The dream would be to go sub 2:20 one day. This might very well be beyond me, but as I'm turning 38 at the end of the month, I think I'm running out of years in which to attempt it. If it makes any difference, I think a sub 2:20 marathon would be better than anything I could potentially do in Ironman. Then at the same time, if I'm back in Kona, I'd like it to be during my peak years.
I assume the best way to capitalise on my marathon performance would be to go straight back to marathon running, and further postpone my return to Ironman.
I think after one more trip to Kona, I'd have had my fill of triathlon and I would be happy to solely concentrate on marathon running. As things stand, I plan to give running a few years focus in my early forties anyway. But would taking a year out of running at this point harm my chances of reaching my potential?
Quote Reply
Re: The cost of a year out of marathon running? [zico10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
firt of all: paragraphs dude! I almost got a headache reading your post...

second: Do what you enjoy more.

and finally, the longer version:
I would say the sub 2:20 marathon is a cooler achievement in terms of other people being able to relate to it. So if you could potentially reach that now (and maybe not in 3-4 years) then I'd go for that.
In triathlon, especially in Kona, it sounds like you're not looking for a PB, but rather to be competitive in your age group.

There will always be the appropriate age group waiting for you when you want to return to triathlon, the 2:20 marathon might be a now or never thing...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Nov 23, 18 2:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At lost sheep you saw the cost of one year out of triathlon...
And of course you won't be as good in tri as if you had trained for tri last year.

Jumping around between the 2 will not get you best in both, so in a way you already made that decision last year.

The cost is not much but then at this level one or 2 min is a lot

If you don't swim you will have lost a lot of swim when you come back and that will cost in Kona.
So I guess if you only have one more year in tri it has to be this year.Otherwise it will take you too much time to get the swim back

Apart from age you would not lose much for the marathon as you would hold the Base but again this 1 min it might cost you is an essential 1 for your goal.
And by doing both you might miss 2 goals. At the same time there is no guarantee you will achieve one even if you try.
At the end of the day just do what you feel like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reading your post it sounds like you would regret not trying for sub 2:20 more. I would just keep going with the marathon running for another cycle. You take a couple more seconds off just keep going. If not then you can always go back. Its not like you will be losing massive fitness, just specificity.
Quote Reply
Re: The cost of a year out of marathon running? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies on the near headache inducing paragraphs, it was a cut and paste job from my iPad and it read easily enough on that.

What I enjoy is racing, it doesn't really matter if it's triathlon or running.

I couldn't see myself breaking 2:20 within the next year and I imagine it would take several training cycles over a 2/3 year period to get near it. Whenever I decide to pursue this goal, I'm prepared to give it this length of time.

I still have ambitions in Ironman, it's just not a PB that motivates me in this sport. It's not necessarily being competitive in my AG either. If it was this, the most sensible thing to do would be to wait another year and race Kona in the 40-44 AG. Rather, I'd like to go back there and race at my absolute best. If this means racing as a 39 year old and finishing further down the AG results, rather than placing higher as a 40 year old, but with a slower finishing time, then so be it.

I guess the real question should be, is aging going to effect my marathon potential and Ironman potential at the same age? Or does the slower pace of Ironman running give you a longer shelf life?
Last edited by: zico10: Nov 24, 18 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: The cost of a year out of marathon running? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBF, I'll see the real cost of a year out if I race The Lost Sheep next year. (This is a middle distance race in Ireland.) The first cycle I did this year was a week before the race, that this isn't a good approach is all that was revealed.

But your other points are certainly very valid. Thanks for the input.
Last edited by: zico10: Nov 25, 18 3:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zico10 wrote:
Apologies on the near headache inducing paragraphs, it was a cut and paste job from my iPad and it read easily enough on that.

What I enjoy is racing, it doesn't really matter if it's triathlon or running.

I couldn't see myself breaking 2:20 within the next year and I imagine it would take several training cycles over a 2/3 year period to get near it. Whenever I decide to pursue this goal, I'm prepared to give it this length of time.

I still have ambitions in Ironman, it's just not a PB that motivates me in this sport. It's not necessarily being competitive in my AG either. If it was this, the most sensible thing to do would be to wait another year and race Kona in the 40-44 AG. Rather, I'd like to go back there and race at my absolute best. If this means racing as a 39 year old and finishing further down the AG results, rather than placing higher as a 40 year old, but with a slower finishing time, then so be it.

I guess the real question should be, is aging going to effect my marathon potential and Ironman potential at the same age? Or does the slower pace of Ironman running give you a longer shelf life?
Re the shelf life of course 3 sports have not same impact of overuse than 1 sport.
At the same time in your case the 2.20 limiter is not endurance it's your 10 k pace and this is where age is going to have an impact for you. And the longer you wait the less of a chance you have.
Quote Reply