Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive!
Quote | Reply
The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Really? No one could design a smaller & simpler unit than that for checking for motors?"

Does this mean the smaller, quicker iPad method of testing has been insufficient?

https://www.youtube.com/...-iRwwquk7v0&t=9s
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes the iPad proved to be not reliable..
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks. I don’t foresee that technology trickling down to every cycling race and tri.
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait...the UCI official tags the bike, and the rider or mechanic has 30 minutes to bring it to the machine?! If I heard that correctly, that seems...less than ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some manufacturer needs to develop a clear composite for their teams and be done with it.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that is annoyed by describing the use of motors as a form of doping? Cheating is cheating, plain and simple. Using motors is cheating, not doping. Doping is a form of cheating involving use of PEDs.

So cutting the course isn't cheating, it's "course doping"? etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree, but I def. needed a short description for the post title.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Wait...the UCI official tags the bike, and the rider or mechanic has 30 minutes to bring it to the machine?! If I heard that correctly, that seems...less than ideal.

Or, just watch the mechanic remove the crankset for inspection.
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. How long are they athletes on the bike after the race? If we are talking Tour level, they can just get bikes from team bus/car to warm down etc.

They have the podium within what 15-20 mins of the race being over right? Don’t know why they’d have a problem turning in a bike to get analyzed.

The issue is that it’s then going to create more longer day on the bike mechanic staff. Cyclists won’t have a care in world or even know. But this is likely to be like doping controls. Finisher place 148th isn’t going to need his bike checked. But final selection of 11 riders in breakeaway or winning move, ok let’s analyze those. Looks to take what 2-3 mins of actual analyzing per bike (didn’t see how long it actually takes to x-ray it).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 22, 18 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what's the complaint?

I'd rather run a bike thru that than tear down a bike to prove it.

I think a good deterrent would be to have manufacturers of bikes have some kind of carbon layup that makes it impossible to implement in the frame. Fill in that area where the motor would go. And if you try to remove that material in that area to make room, the design is such that it would destroy the frame.

This would create issues for Di2 batteries but they could always implement the Di2 battery in the stem instead or something.
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Am I the only one that is annoyed by describing the use of motors as a form of doping? Cheating is cheating, plain and simple. Using motors is cheating, not doping. Doping is a form of cheating involving use of PEDs.

So cutting the course isn't cheating, it's "course doping"? etc. etc.

There seems to be at least one of you in every comment section, super upset at the terminology. :)

I get your complaint. But the term is catchy, it's super clear to everyone what it means, and I think it's here to stay. So probably time to move on the to the "acceptance" stage of grief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The iPads were never meant as a standalone solution. They are used to determine if the bike is suspicious and then the bikes had to be disassembled. The x-ray cabinet will actually speed this up, since you won't need to tear down the bike to do the check if the cabinet is on site. The mechanics will be way less displeased that they have to bring a bike to a cabinet for a 5min scan, than to have to break down the bike for a check...

The issue with the ipads is that they struggled with some of the wheel based motor systems, but they are a pretty solid first form of screening.

The challenge with the rolling x-ray cabinets is the cost, meaning that there will likely be only a few units at the disposal of the UCI (and I assume that the ITU will likely get on board in the next year with those, given that they are already using the tablet scanners) to deploy to races. That doesn't mean that they can't do motor checks at other races using the tablets, and the old disassembly model for secondary checks.

The tablet scans are fast too, my bike was checked before worlds in Penticton, and I just had to remove my water bottles from the bike and then left my bike with the guy for like 3min while he did his scan, and then was good to go. Small price to pay for the piece of mind that it'll be pretty hard for anyone to get away with using a motor in the race...
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I think a good deterrent would be to have manufacturers of bikes have some kind of carbon layup that makes it impossible to implement in the frame. Fill in that area where the motor would go. And if you try to remove that material in that area to make room, the design is such that it would destroy the frame.

That's probably the best idea I've heard so far. The only caveat would be a copycat one-off frame.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Really? No one could design a smaller & simpler unit than that for checking for motors?"

Does this mean the smaller, quicker iPad method of testing has been insufficient?

My first thought was "I wonder if steel frames will make a comeback in pro racing now?" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With this technology, why not just go full TSA and have them put their bikes on a conveyor belt at the end of the race and send them through the machine?

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, lithium nano-coating in the paint is where it's at!

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The machine looks about as fast and nimble as a circa 1995 CAT scan unit. No conveyer belts running through that thing.

I think they should have crowdsourced the design of the anti-motor machine. I just read that Starbucks is offering a $10 million challenge to solicit designs for a cup that's easier to recycle. Now, I'm not saying the UCI has that kind of money to throw around, but that X-ray machine can't possibly be making it to every race. There absolutely needs to be an affordable, portable technology that can make it into every race directors toolbox to prevent cheats. Including in sanctioned IM races if motors could be actually a reality in racing (yes I know about the 3 busts)!

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
The machine looks about as fast and nimble as a circa 1995 CAT scan unit. No conveyer belts running through that thing.

I think they should have crowdsourced the design of the anti-motor machine. I just read that Starbucks is offering a $10 million challenge to solicit designs for a cup that's easier to recycle. Now, I'm not saying the UCI has that kind of money to throw around, but that X-ray machine can't possibly be making it to every race. There absolutely needs to be an affordable, portable technology that can make it into every race directors toolbox to prevent cheats. Including in sanctioned IM races if motors could be actually a reality in racing (yes I know about the 3 busts)!

Aaah...but the use of a "Petite Curie" has such a French legacy...

https://history.aip.org/exhibits/curie/war1.htm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like it'd be simpler to weigh bikes at the beginning of the season in full complement, possibly x-ray them once, and engrave the weight on the bike. Then each race the top finisher's bikes get re-weighed and compared with the engraved weight. A discrepancy triggers a closer look.
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's certainly a good theory. I feel like I'm thinking like a criminal here, but what's to stop a team from adding the (equivalent) motor weight in lead shot for the pre-season weigh in. I think I need to take off my tinfoil hat now.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why you x-ray them, once, at the beginning of the season weigh-in.

Plus, presumably, there will be other bikes of similar brand, model, and size so you can check mass against them. An oddity triggers a closer look.
Last edited by: RChung: Mar 22, 18 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Seems like it'd be simpler to weigh bikes at the beginning of the season in full complement, possibly x-ray them once, and engrave the weight on the bike. Then each race the top finisher's bikes get re-weighed and compared with the engraved weight. A discrepancy triggers a closer look.

AKA "Biological Passport for Bikes" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
That's certainly a good theory. I feel like I'm thinking like a criminal here, but what's to stop a team from adding the (equivalent) motor weight in lead shot for the pre-season weigh in. I think I need to take off my tinfoil hat now.

Nope, keep wearing it.

You're at least 40 years too slow on that one.......

"NASCAR used to weigh the cars to make sure they were at the minimum before the race, but not after, and teams would do all sorts of things to get the cars through inspection, including placing solid lead radios and helmets in the car as they rolled across the scale. Darrell Waltrip's team would fill frame rails with BBs or buckshot, then when on the track, he'd pull a little wire that would open a trap door in the frame rail, and the BBs would spill out on the back straight. But once, a crewman washed the car and got the BBs wet. They all stuck together, and didn't escape until Waltrip was speeding down pit lane. As the BBs pelted crew members from other teams, as well as NASCAR officials, it did not take long for inspectors to close that loophole."
Quote Reply
Re: The UCI's new anti-motor doping X-ray machine: it's massive! [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Some manufacturer needs to develop a clear composite for their teams and be done with it.
Because that's a trivial engineering task is it? We'll just come up with a new material because that's easier than sticking an x-ray in a box?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

It's just an x-ray in a box big enough to fit a bike. I'm sure the box is there simply to avoid any issues with radiation. It's not like it's hugely complex. How would you do it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next