Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High
Quote | Reply
I'm not educated enough to fully understand if I should move to a cooler place with the trainer in the summer time.
I've been doing this for a very long time (trainer just stays in the garage year round).
At 95 degrees...with fans on full blast.. a 350-370 watt hour ride during a cooler part of the year becomes a 320-330 watt hour ride due to the
unsustainable rise in heart rate.
My question is "Is this okay?" I mean just to lower the wattage to get through the suffering with the heat aspect?
Or "Do you think it would be more productive to move the trainer to a 75 degree environment and revert to normal training like the cooler part of the year"?
Any opinions would be appreciated..

PS. I can also add that the Computrainer is the only trainer that I have ever had that has endured this suffering...the popular trainers that most use these days have all been burned up. Give me any trainer and I'll smoke it in my garage at 95 degrees ...and 400 + watts it won't last long. I won't name all the victims...lol
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the sole purpose of this post to tell us that you can do 370w for an hour?
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [n_bens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
n_bens wrote:

That and that s/he can "smoke" a trainer with 400+ watts.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [n_bens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
n_bens wrote:
Forgot to mention the 120KG body weight and pushing out around 3w/KG.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
....PS. I can also add that the Computrainer is the only trainer that I have ever had that has endured this suffering...the popular trainers that most use these days have all been burned up. Give me any trainer and I'll smoke it in my garage at 95 degrees ...and 400 + watts it won't last long. I won't name all the victims...lol
I question the value and veracity of this information. Especially as you've declined to say what the trainers were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
n_bens wrote:

That is where I stopped reading ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much 80% of his posts are a variation on the 370w backdoor brag.

n_bens wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't destroyed any trainers, and my FTP sure ain't 370, but my trainer and treadmill are in the garage. I've noticed that I can't hold the same wattage that I could over the winter. I'm just assuming work is work, and that getting acclimated to the heat is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot hold the same wattage in summer as I can in winter. I also have 2 big fans going but heat is heat - you need AC if you want to cool the room down and I cannot afford it. I am not sure if the training effect of lower watts with high heat is the same as the training effect with more watts at a lower temperature. What I do know is that I can improve year round so training on a turbo in summer is not detrimental as far as my training goes.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If work is work, then a lower power for the same time is less work!

If the heat prevents you from working as hard, the adaptation will be different. You may or may not get better at dealing with heat, but I'd expect doing less intensity will have a negative impact on your ability to produce power whenever heat is not an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have no reason to not take those workouts outside if it’s that warm inside your garage. Get outside dude! There are so many benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm not sure bringing it out of the garage is a realistic option right now. It's not as bad in the morning, but that's also when I like to run, so I guess it is what it is at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

If the heat prevents you from working as hard, the adaptation will be different. You may or may not get better at dealing with heat, but I'd expect doing less intensity will have a negative impact on your ability to produce power whenever heat is not an issue.

Is 300 watts at 180 bpm different than 350 watts at 180 bpm?

At first I'd say yes, but then again I'm really not sure. I find that after a summer of slogging through with 10-20% less power, those first few days of cooler weather and all of that power is back as if it never went away.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.
Your experience mirrors what I have experienced throughout the years.
Was just looking for some type of scientific validation that we couldn't have been doing better.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

At first I'd say yes, but then again I'm really not sure. I find that after a summer of slogging through with 10-20% less power, those first few days of cooler weather and all of that power is back as if it never went away.
It depends whether you're primarily concerned with working on your heart or your leg muscles.

If your heart can't sustain the same power being produced by the legs, because it's working on maintaining temperature via increased circulation to the extremeties (not sure if that's the main mechanism) they get less workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry that you took it that way..I should have added that I'm 57 years old and 168 lbs.
I didn't think it was relevant to mention that the 370w used to be 470w when I was much younger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I'm not educated enough to fully understand if I should move to a cooler place with the trainer in the summer time.
I've been doing this for a very long time (trainer just stays in the garage year round).
At 95 degrees...with fans on full blast.. a 350-370 watt hour ride during a cooler part of the year becomes a 320-330 watt hour ride due to the
unsustainable rise in heart rate.
My question is "Is this okay?" I mean just to lower the wattage to get through the suffering with the heat aspect?
Or "Do you think it would be more productive to move the trainer to a 75 degree environment and revert to normal training like the cooler part of the year"?
Any opinions would be appreciated..

PS. I can also add that the Computrainer is the only trainer that I have ever had that has endured this suffering...the popular trainers that most use these days have all been burned up. Give me any trainer and I'll smoke it in my garage at 95 degrees ...and 400 + watts it won't last long. I won't name all the victims...lol

Personally I would train at the same temp as my race. If that is 95 then it’s the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I should have added that I'm 57 years old and 168 lbs.

I didn't think it was relevant to mention that the 370w used to be 470w when I was much younger.

Well of course. We're all mightily impressed........well done you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I'm sorry that you took it that way..I should have added that I'm 57 years old and 168 lbs.

Which pro cycling team were you on? 6.2 w/kg. So, somewhere between Cadel Evans (6.0 w/kg and Lance Armstrong (6.8 w/kg) published FTP results at 22 years old.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 21, 18 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's summer, turn off the fans, open the garage door and go enjoy the the world outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

It depends whether you're primarily concerned with working on your heart or your leg muscles.

If your heart can't sustain the same power being produced by the legs, because it's working on maintaining temperature via increased circulation to the extremeties (not sure if that's the main mechanism) they get less workout.

That doesn't make sense.

What do you think powers the working leg muscles?

I don't think what you're posting is accurate information.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:

Which pro cycling team were you on? 6.2 w/kg. So, somewhere between Cadel Evans (6.0 w/kg and Lance Armstrong (6.8 w/kg) published FTP results at 22 years old.

• Elro Snacks
  • Supermercati Brianzoli - Willier
  • Jonathan Boyer - Mavic

While a total annoying blowhard, he did make a go of it in the early 80s. Of course that's 35 years ago, but the wheel had been invented so presumably people put those wheels on bikes and raced them back then.
Last edited by: T-wrecks: Jun 21, 18 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am dealing with the same thing. Can't really go outside as I only get an hour and I start before 5am. Trainer is a must. 2 large fans and I struggle -- at least I will blame the heat on my struggles to meet intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: The Time Of The Year When It's 95 degrees in The Garage On The Trainer With Two Industrial Fans On High [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
It's summer, turn off the fans, open the garage door and go enjoy the the world outside.

When it's 95-100 degrees outside, being in the sun makes it even worse. I about died on a recovery ride in that temp on a Friday afternoon a few weeks ago, so the next week I figured it would be better in the shade on my trainer with a big ass fan. It was, but it was still terrible.

Riding outside early morning before it gets too hot is ideal, but that's not always when I(we) can ride.

So now I'm looking into a convective cooling fan for my garage (not sure it would work well here in Houston with the high humidity) or broaching the subject of moving the trainer inside with the spousal unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

That doesn't make sense.

What do you think powers the working leg muscles?

I don't think what you're posting is accurate information.
The leg muscles produce the power. The circulatory system is needed to provide fuel.
When other factors such as fatigue, dehydration or excess heat make additional demands on the circulatory system, I would assume that limits aerobic power available from the legs below what which a rider csn normally manage. If you were doing anaerobic intervals where the muscles, rather than the circulatory system is the limitinv factor, power MAY not be directly effected, though I'm sure recovery time between intervsls will.
Does that not mske sense?
Quote Reply

Prev Next