Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!!
Quote | Reply
OK let's go.

There is barely any racing to talk about and Currie runs 2:40 to go sub 8 and all we're complaining about is what races WTC is not having when we want them to happen!

What an amazing race!
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the majority that are saying Braden Who?

Results – Braden Currie
>
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And done without a full field. Slightly different course to past years removed 2 hills, but still some gradient on 4 lap run course.

Helpful tail wind for second half of 2lap bike which is the reverse of the more typical headwind for that final 40km of bike.

Was surprised at lack of race discussion.

Cam brown DQ for swapping shoes after issues with his laces.

Hannah Wells 9:01 on debut well clear in women's race ran 3:10.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
And done without a full field. Slightly different course to past years removed 2 hills, but still some gradient on 4 lap run course.

Helpful tail wind for second half of 2lap bike which is the reverse of the more typical headwind for that final 40km of bike.

Was surprised at lack of race discussion.

Cam brown DQ for swapping shoes after issues with his laces.

Hannah Wells 9:01 on debut well clear in women's race ran 3:10.

Is it still on slow as molasses Taupo bone jarring chip seal tarmac....not silky smooth like Roth or Austria!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done Austria once and imnz several then yep, certainly adds time. Although perhaps I'm getting acclimatized to it, it's not as bad as the first year I did NZ. Also modern wider tyres and lower pressures help. ( Sadly not me as my frame only takes 23mm tyres and at 88 kg I need some pressure in there).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

There is barely any racing to talk about and Currie runs 2:40 to go sub 8 and all we're complaining about is what races WTC is not having when we want them to happen!

What an amazing race!

2:40 marathon as winning time are now the standard with carbon shoe era. this would have been 2:50 before
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

2:40 marathon as winning time are now the standard with carbon shoe era. this would have been 2:50 before

You are hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Such a Debbie Downer.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

You are hilarious.
In the very worst way..
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to this my marathon PB from 1993 went to 2:38. I'll take it, but the shoes were not invented back then!!!

OK back to Braden Currie!
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Having done Austria once and imnz several then yep, certainly adds time. Although perhaps I'm getting acclimatized to it, it's not as bad as the first year I did NZ. Also modern wider tyres and lower pressures help. ( Sadly not me as my frame only takes 23mm tyres and at 88 kg I need some pressure in there).

Would you say NZ bike course is 5, 7, or 10 minutes slower than Austria. I would like to know what that 4:22 in Taupo is when converted to Austria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

By that logic, Kipchoge should have easily ran 1:56:xx in the Alphafly. Do you think before pulling numbers out of your...?
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's also wrong. 10 minutes? How blind can he be?

Even if they provide 4% increase in running efficiency, that's not linear to speed. Yet he's claiming they account for 7% time difference. Reality would likely be 3 minutes or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

Fuck Dude you need to get laid or something. I’ve never seen someone bitch about shoes as much as you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a big marker he's laid down for Kona. There is not a long list of people with a genuine front pack swim + 4w/kg bike and whom can then run a 2.40 flat. Race dynamics don't always play out to Braden's advantage but right now he's in a select group with this performance. Also Kyle Smith 3rd on debut in his first go at the distance. Immense swim biker when he starts racing internationally he will shake things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, too many years difference between races, different bikes and different fitness. IMAustria was 2005 and whilst I first did IMNZ in 2008, I'd been injured and was over on a 5 week holiday so did it without any training. Don't think you can say the course was the reason for the 90min longer bike.....

And as everywhere over here is covered in that chipseal then I've no way to really say how much the speed differential is for a given power on Broadlands Rd, versus any type of roading material used in the developed world since the 1950s. ;-)

The year I did IMA was the 3 lap route before they went 2. That was lightening fast for me - 2x steep climbs of 5 mins and then what seemed to be 40km of 2-3% downhill. Taupo is the opposite, there's 10km at the end of each lap that's downhill and 'fun' but the rest of it seems to be 30km of uphill - no idea how, but both ways of the out and back part are uphill.......

For me at about 5:10 - 5:15 for Taupo on an Argon E-114 with kitchen sink strapped to it and non aero wheels, (c240watt - 88kg) I'd say that I'd be expecting to go sub 5 if I went back to Austria*. Putting another way, I do 2:10 for a half at 265w where it's flat, half the course is on less crappy surface (the other the same gravel) but also it's a more crowded course and so you spend most of the ride passing people and so getting legitimate drafting.

*note I also think I can carry off a onesie tri-skinsuit in my late 40s, so there is significant optimism bias you need to factor into this. However I do not believe that even with a change of shoes I can run a 2:40 marathon. Unless it's those rocket powered roller skates. Actually, no I'd fall over, so even with them I'd be over the 2:40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorsten has IM NZ as 10.5 minutes slower than IM Austria https://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/
Last edited by: DrH: Mar 29, 21 19:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"barely anyone is mentioning"

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Braden is the complete package. It's stunning that he didn't learn to swim until his mid 20's. Braden has done this before though in IM Cairns, he just hasn't had his perfect Kona race yet. Wasn't his IM Cairns marathon sub 2:40?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [DrH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMNZ course has changed a fair bit though since those ratings. Does it change the 'number'? Nay, don't think so, but there is a bit of a loop around the countryside in place of a really really silly fecking loop round the airport with a b*tch of a hill.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

You are hilarious.

So you haven't run in a pair of 4%'s or some other carbon shoe soles yet? 10 minutes might be a stretch, but yeah 3-5 minutes of a marathon seems totally reasonable with the new shoe technology.
We've had huge marginal improvements in the bike equipment over the years, the shoes finally got a big bump.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"huge marginal" is a nice oxymoron

A few years ago Currie reminded me of young macca in that he stands out in the front pack with great technique and physique and drive

When he was running kona with TO at kona and Aeronauts he looked so strong, I was convinced he would be on the podium and win the next year ... Great to see he could put together this solid win

Obviously in running there were many records since the launch of the carbon shoes (related or not) but will be interesting to see if there will also better performances due to corona not enabling as much pro travel and races?
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Mar 29, 21 23:42
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [DrH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 fully agreed with Thorsten

(racing both races: Klagenfurt 2014 & 2016 - Taupo 2020).

Klage even 1700m elevation in bike is a fast bike course, don't know the new bike course (since 2019) if it's faster than the previous one.

Taupo is about 1000m elevation but very rough road surface, with some hills (5-15kms, 75-90, 95-105, 165-180).
And always windy from all sides!!

By the way, in 2020 run course, in view to have 2 races in the same day (70.3 plus 140.6, starting 1h later), the running course in 140.6 was 3 loops with hills, about .. 340m elevation (not fair for a Marathon course in an IM race...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK let's go.

What an amazing race!

This might be true for average recreational runners that go from "racing" on a heavy training shoe to wearing a carbon plated shoe. But not true for faster folks (not you ;-) that have good running form and know how to race on old-school racing flats.

Back to topic, Currie's performance was great but not surprising let's not forget he outran Gomez a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: The Sub 8 at IMNZ that no one is barely mentioning - 2:40 run !!! [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Back to topic, Currie's performance was great but not surprising let's not forget he outran Gomez a few years ago.
Correct and,for me, a better performance.

CURRIE BREAKS COURSE RECORD AT IRONMAN ASIA PACIFIC CHAMPIONSHIP – Braden Currie
Quote Reply

Prev Next