Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Slowtwitch Sessions Tom Piszkin
Quote | Reply
Where you at? I'm in Santee, CA a suburb 15 miles east of San Diego proper.

Where you from? I was born in Washington D.C. and migrated to San Diego when my dad took a job with the Convair division of General Dynamics in 1956.
To a plane geek like me the fact your old man worked for Convair is stupid awesome. Oh the endless stupid questions I could ask that man.

What kicks you got on your feet right now?
I'm wearing black house slippers my mother-in-law gave me five years ago.
The ancient house slipper. One of mans greater comforts.

Ever do triathlons?
Yes, I've done about 50 of them. First one was the Dana Point USTS race in June, 1986. Scott Molina was crossing the finish line as I was starting the run. The last one was the 2003 Mission Bay Triathlon. Nine months after that event I gave birth to an artificial hip.
So it is safe to say you know a thing or two about the sport. I would ask your favorite speedo colors but gross.

Tell us the story of your awful back and the creation of your bike. I ruptured my L4-L5 disc during a 10 mile time trial in 1987. It took me almost two years to get the correct diagnosis--I ascribed the discomfort to part of becoming a triathlete.
Recovering from surgery in 1989 I yearned to ride something that wouldn't derail me. I also wanted to replace my Kestrel KM40 with a more durable ride that shared its high-performance characteristics and incorporated suspension...not as much as the Softride and certainly not with the weight penalty of their design. Bill Holland arranged for Moots to build the design I engineered in 1991.

Over the next 5 years I built several more one-offs. My wife's objection to this "hobby" moved me to adopt a break-even business model I could afford to pursue (no investors or ambitions of dominating the multisport cycling world). Nytro founder Craig Turner ordered 10 in 1996 (my big break!). I've been able to sell about 500 bikes to date. The titanim boom suspension enables riders to sustain a more aerodynamic body position. I'm sure the frameset is as aero as any of the latest UCI-legal designs.

Scott Molina is perhaps my most notable rider. He started riding a TitanFlex 10 years ago when he turned 40. I've never had the budget to sponsor top-tier triathletes, whose allegiance is often dollar-sign driven.
I love it! It's the American dream. Form idea, develop idea and be awesome.

Review this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MtUnkh2Q0&feature=related Despite my inability to understand any of the words it held my attention for the complete 5:18. I liked the fezzed lizard and the artistic repetition of that theme.
"Artistic repetition of theme" You use pretty words.

I have information that Litespeed makes your booms. True or false?
False, Bill Holland makes them here in San Diego. Actually his shop is in Alpine, about 30 miles east of San Diego improper. For extra credit (and full disclosure), Russ Denny fabricates all my frames in his Hemet, CA shop.
Damn it! My inside information is always wrong.

Why do you think the UCI are a bunch of bike design Nazis? Why do you think they hate boom bikes? They are in the business of promoting and maintaining the health cycling in general. I don't begrude them for making decisions that seem to discrimiate against innovation. All bureacracies behave this way...look at golf, tennis, motor sports,etc. I think the UCI wants to avoid what's happened with America's Cup racing; that is, financially driven and consequently, shrinking in appeal. As long as there are cycling venues that aren't completely controlled by the UCI, namely triathlon and ultra-distance cycling, I'm happy.
I find the UCI to be a cyst on the heart of the sport.
Deborha Harry or Harriet Wheeler? Harriet, she's softer.

Your thoughts on social networking sites. They are the future...our road to the Matrix...no doubt about it.

Could god make a burrito so big that not even he could eat it?This is your best question. As a believer, I think God could actually eat himself, but just hasn't been hungry enough to do so.
I made a sandwich so big not even I could finish it. I gotta write a book and get some robes.

Is there a difference between how your bike handles when in a road or tri position?
Yes, it handles like a road bike when the boom is positioned at a 73 degree seat tube angle. When the boom is moved forward 5 degrees it handles like a tri bike. If this is a trick question then the answer is "it depends on the skill of the cyclist."
Not a trick question. Not a bright question is the proper term.

Do you have any plans for newer models of your bikes? Yes! I'm working on a power assist system hidden within the frame. Once the bugs are worked out of cold fusion, I'll have the ultimate race weapon!
I will take 6 thank you.

What riding advice do you have for us?
As a Masters Triathlon coach at UCSD I recommend stationary training at least once a week. It's much safer than being on the roads, allows concentration on form elements, packs more value in less time and finally, allows you to multi-task (baby sitting, knitting, sleeping, praying, preparing for the MATRIX, etc.)

Anything else you wold like to say before we call this quits and you buy me dinner? Fajitas. Beer. YUM!!!

First, thanks for asking, and last, God Bless America!

Ladies and Gentlemen I call on you to piss off his wife and buy lots of bikes from him. If you don't you hate America. Why do you hate America?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Sessions Tom Piszkin [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works for me:

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I thought you got a job.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Sessions Tom Piszkin [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All us new guys where turned away the day before we started so the company could hold increased profitability into the year. Laid off before I was on and just to think of all that money they spent on my back ground check, physical and drug test.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Sessions Tom Piszkin [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOH! Sorry.
Good luck in school!

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply