Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Secret Wish
Quote | Reply
There's a secret wish among a lot of triathletes out there. They wish that there's another way to being fast. The easier, shorter, faster way to get there. They think that by doing less, they can achieve more. Some call it smart training, others call it efficient training. They're looking for the loop hole, the easy way out. They think that somehow they can outsmart those that have long before figured what it takes. They're the smart people, doing what's smart. Everyone is wrong and they're right.

There is no easy way. There isn't such a thing as less being more. Only more is MORE.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's HUGE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm ready coach.

Can the Sergio donate an achilles?

Re: The Secret Wish [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look, in running, the kenyans and ethiopians do it the smart way...running 3 times a day, 300km a week. And they win everything.
I guess that's the smart way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo, I'm 100% in agreement...but the people who think they are that smart and can outsmart the people who do more volume and more intensity are actually being outsmarted :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight: you're saying that in order to get better/faster/stronger, I actually have to do things that make me get better/faster/stronger? And do even more stuff like that if I want to get even better/faster/stronger?

Damn.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing that I have learned over the last 11 weeks or so is that you cetainly can do more focused or call it quality training and be more efficient in that regard. It is still a lot more then ten hours per week, but no fluff time for sure.

I never thought that I could do the sort of training that I've done over the last three months or so, but if you have the right sort of training loads throughout the week you can get the quality done and still have enough built in recovery as well.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, until the body breaks and you can do NOTHING. I know plenty of folks who got into the more is more, yep, they had short turn results, improvements, etc.
But, now that are totally out of the smart. So, I will be glad to put my total career against most of the short term stars.

(Or then never married, or were not married for long or. This sport is nothing compared to smelling the roses and having a FULL life!!)

I plan to out race them by longevity, not a quick short career. And so far, I think I have done pretty good walking my talk!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay... now I'm curious... what are you getting ready for this year? :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly there are limits for us, especially as we get older and slower/tighter/ornier...I understand what SAC...er, Paulo is trying to say, and part of me says that it's okay to try and become more "efficient" with one's training, but for the most part getting better at the sport (as in most things in life) truly boils down to the very simplest, common denominator...that being you actually need to train, and train hard, to really do well.

Whatever "do well" might mean to each person.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [boco_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Lavaman relay race this Sunday! But the real goal is to tackle Madison again with another solid year of training.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, your post makes no sense.

Maybe you are trying to say some people try more is MORE, get injured and then can't train at all?

Maybe once you buy into the more is MORE philosophy you have to be patient in getting to MORE and not make the jump fom 35 mpw to 90 mpw over a month? Maybe there is a smart and controlled way to get to MORE to avoid injury? Just some thoughts.

In Reply To:
Yep, until the body breaks and you can do NOTHING. I know plenty of folks who got into the more is more, yep, they had short turn results, improvements, etc.
But, now that are totally out of the smart. So, I will be glad to put my total career against most of the short term stars.

(Or then never married, or were not married for long or. This sport is nothing compared to smelling the roses and having a FULL life!!)

I plan to out race them by longevity, not a quick short career. And so far, I think I have done pretty good walking my talk!!

Dave

Last edited by: Tri Nic: Mar 30, 07 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're such a hater.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously haven't seen the "Secret" yet. Just dream, believe and feel it and it will come;-)

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a billboard on I-4 today that read "where more is less". Unfortunately I thought of you and wanted to take a picture to post. I was going to fast to pull over in time though.

Quote | Reply
      Are you sure this wasn't supposed to be on the sex thread.Dreaming,believing,feeling,coming.Oh lord!!
In Reply To:
You obviously haven't seen the "Secret" yet. Just dream, believe and feel it and it will come;-)
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Mar 30, 07 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"They're looking for the loop hole, the easy way out. "

My thoughts -- if some one is even thinking along these lines, they should just get out of the game NOW, because they're not enjoying the process. When you enjoy the process, you don't even have to THINK about more vs less. You just train. Becaue you enjoy it. It is your "play".

I get to play every day...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, make me blow my coffee all over my screen. Thanks for the laugh!

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There is no easy way"

Gordo, that you? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Only more is MORE. "

True Paulo, but some people do have jobs, family responsibilities and even other interests that interfere with long term serious training. Even if that is taking time of training to post regularly on ST.:-) They may have only a certain amount of time than they can/will give, so it's natural to try to find some magic bullet.

It's really a matter of evaluating how much time and effort you can give to what is essentially a hobby for most of us and then setting realistic personal goals. That's why my realistic goal is winning AG or podiuming at the local area sprint tris. I'll never win AG Kona. Couldn't even if I wanted to. Don't have the drive or the genetics or the willingness to make sacrifices in other areas of my life. Most people in this sport are like that, and that's not such a horrible thing IMO.

You can buy speed to a certain degree with aero bike gizmos, etc. But you're right, there is no short cut to success other than dedication and hard work. And even that is not a full guarantee that you'll always be successful or reach your goals.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 30, 07 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> There's a secret wish among a lot of triathletes out there. They wish that there's another way to being fast.

Who says it's a secret? Just make me fast already, godammit!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is some amount of training (I don't care to debate the quantity vs. intensity issue) that is optimal. More is more until more is too much. "Too much" is an individual thing, dictated by genetics* and age. And I would guess that the difference among us (in determining where more is too much) is small. The whiners who bitch about having a job, etc., don't get it... more would still be more, it's that you are choosing priorities differently, and suboptimally training as a consequence.

* Genetics includes your ability to recover and adapt AND your propensity for injury, etc.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people are just always going to suck Paulo...regardless of what you say.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goddamn you...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret Wish [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Train Hard, Win Easy= The Kenyan Way", Toby Tanser