Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The P3 of Aerobars
Quote | Reply
Looking to switch my bars for something with Ski bend or J bend. My new old bike came with Vision Trimax Carbon bars but they're super flat S bend bars. It's just not comfortable to me. I can't switch the clip on due to the integrated design. I could change the extensions IF I can find a J bend Trimax carbon with the 2 screws mounting format. I just haven't seen it yet anywhere. Probably bc theyre not new.

I don't have $1k to spend on Tri Rig or the like. So I'm looking for the equivalent of a P3 in aero bars. Good on price, able to adjust and decently aero. Something that perhaps only loses to the super bars.

Any clues on what contenders I should consider?
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are in a rush.

the best thing in the market right now is profile design aeria alloy or even better just buy the new brackets and their Svet base bars

If you are ok waiting til next season. My stem/aerobar attachment will be ready spring and taking pre orders in November on Indigogo.

Basebar, we have a design but it won't release til later as its still only in RP status.

We are launching using Profile Svet carbon base bar and our stuff for the rest.

That would be my suggestion.

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny i was just starting to look at Svet.
I do have the T1+ alloy clip ons. Would you still recommend new brackets? I know there was a write up on the front page a few months ago.

Bummer about the culprit bars. The Look 596 has a propietary stem so perhaps a stem/bar wouldn't work in my case.

Good luck on the indiegogo canpaign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The profile design aeria alloy is very good, but can also be abit pricey.

The pro missile alloy bar plus your choice of clip ons (maybe a zipp vuka alloy or newer PD stuff) would be my choice if you are on a budget. Those two items would be tough to beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest using the T1 for now and order the pre order of aerobars as we will offer normal 31.8 assembly or a special assembly to our stems bar bore clamp.

Both have alot of unique features such as attachment, stack and tilt, etc

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you link the indiegogo campaign? now that I've asked, it's now a shameless plug :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are taking P3 comparison you are talking middle of the road pricing with top value and speed. How about a nearly new ultimate Aeria I have in the classified ads? It’s at the top level ( aero, very adjustable etc) and deeply discounted to be somewhat affordable. If not, a used Tririg is another solid option.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 24, 18 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a very big fan of Syntace Stratos CX: https://www.syntace.com/...11/stratos-cx-m?c=31

Very sleek, light, practical ... plus killer looks :-) It is available in shiny (see link) and matte (see pic) black and three widths.

A few things to know: it has 5:1 shape and is thus not UCI legal (in case anyone cares...), it has 20mm drop and cannot be flip-flopped, clamping area is 8-9cm (so if you prefer your bracket very wide apart this might be a constraint).

I use my Stratos with PD Supersonic incl BTA Bridge, however your existing Brackets would also work (e.g. my wife uses 3T Clip-Ons).

Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won’t be ready til November

But you can see sneak shots on culpritbicycles fb page

It’s of Superbar quality just not going to do crazy mark ups.

Joshua
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Svet base bar, J5 bracket, and F-40TT arm rests. Its a great cockpit, entirely adjustable (risers for the J5 brackets for stack if needed) and you can get the Svet base bar thats either 20mm up/down, or one thats flat. You can then put any regular extensions on. I personally like the Zipp Alumina 70. All in price is under $500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at the Planet X/Selcof Ultra Chrono TT.
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Those look great! My only concern would be pad adjustability fore/aft and left/right seems a little limited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need $1k - our Alpha X bars are currently on sale for $749: http://www.tririg.com/AlphaX

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Profile Svet base bar, J5 bracket, and F-40TT arm rests. Its a great cockpit, entirely adjustable (risers for the J5 brackets for stack if needed) and you can get the Svet base bar thats either 20mm up/down, or one thats flat. You can then put any regular extensions on. I personally like the Zipp Alumina 70. All in price is under $500
Excellent combo, gonna add to my list.
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
You don't need $1k - our Alpha X bars are currently on sale for $749: http://www.tririg.com/AlphaX

Specific to my bike, I don't believe I can mount them to a Look 596 with ipack steering. I do admire your products and your brakes are on my list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Those look great! My only concern would be pad adjustability fore/aft and left/right seems a little limited.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any info in that regard on the PX site (not that I've tried to ask them, yet). Nor have I found info on the "open mold" version of those bars (HB086). Is open mold the right term for aerobars?

On the "open mold" side, I've also looked at the HB095, HB012, and HB016 bars. These have internal bar+stem brake cable routing. They look much more adjustable in width (with two riser mounting widths, and columns of pad mounting holes), but the stem is only available in 100mm. So, reach would only be adjustable through pad mounting location. Also, none of these have tilt adjustment...without "customizing" one of the spacers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tririg did a test years back and the Felt Bayonet 3 bars did very well compared to higher end bars: https://www.tririg.com/...d_Tunnel_White_Paper. This is the aluminum bar so it is quite affordable (I bought a brand new set with all spacers etc for under 400 CAD from a Felt dealer). Very adjustable too. There was a "non-recall" replacement of one of the clamps so you just want to make sure to get the new version: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6417524#p6417524

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Any clues on what contenders I should consider?

For starters, grab this: https://www.ebay.com/...Swfi9ZrzmL:rk:1:pf:0

Then get some Felt Bayonet 3 bars. Sell the basebar. You'll have a super adjustable yet fast setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

If you like those, I'll be getting a set on a bike I ordered, and I'll sell them cheap. Not enough adjustability for me. If you can use a normal stem though, that will help. You should be able to get angled risers as well if you want tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: The P3 of Aerobars [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

If you like those, I'll be getting a set on a bike I ordered, and I'll sell them cheap. Not enough adjustability for me. If you can use a normal stem though, that will help. You should be able to get angled risers as well if you want tilt.

Yeah, that's part of my reservation too. I'm really holding off until I can do some position testing (per my other thread) to determine what will (not) work based on where I end up. My elbow pads are pretty wide right now, and the Selcof is NOT very adjustable in that area.

I like your suggested syntace setup though. I was looking at various integrated options like the Selcof to get away from the bulky exposed hardware of clamp on setups. But, the bayonet 3 hardware looks very minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Syntace base bar and Felt aerobar is precisely what I'm using. Yes, there is still some penalty for the adjustability, but not a lot. The Syntace bar has an 80mm clamp area, which is as narrow as they come. I got the 390mm model which reduces frontal area a little more.
Quote Reply