Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The One Bike to Rule Them All
Quote | Reply
Looking for a little friendly advice....

Due to a change in family circumstances, I find myself with a bike of a bike issue. I have too many. Heresy, I know, when the correct number is N+1.

I'm looking for a bike that can do it all. Road, gravel and tri.

I realize that the end result will be a bike that probably does all of these things kinda poorly, but I'm pressed for $ and space. I have 3 bikes that I would try and consolidate into 1 bike with a couple of sets of wheels. Current bikes are Cervelo P3 (alu, from 2002), Cervelo Soloist and Kona Jake.

I don't have a lot to spend either, I figure for those 3 bikes I can walk away with maybe $2-2.5k. I haven't ridden the Soloist in years as the Jake has become my mainstay. P3 has sat idle as I haven't raced in a while either.

I thought I'd reach out for the collective wisdom and see if there is a unicorn out there: a bike that could do road, gravel and tri reasonably well if coupled with clip on bars, deep front wheel and a disc cover. I'm jealous of everyone mulling over their $10k super bike options but my reality is more limited so I'm trying to keep it around $3k max.

Thoughts? It's going against the grain on here, but it's the reality I'm faced with for the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Re: The One Bike to Rule Them All [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know nothing about the Kona Jake by Soloist is a pretty good option at least for road and tri—that’s is literal purpose. You should be able create a very nice build for $3k—I’m taking etap,good wheels, powermeter, etc if you are patient.
Quote Reply
Re: The One Bike to Rule Them All [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I know nothing about the Kona Jake by Soloist is a pretty good option at least for road and tri—that’s is literal purpose. You should be able create a very nice build for $3k—I’m taking etap,good wheels, powermeter, etc if you are patient.

My post might not have been clear, and that's my mistake. Instead of editing it I'll just respond....

The 3 bikes I already have are a P3, Soloist and Jake. I'm looking to consolidate into 1 that does the job of all 3 (and inevitably compromises on it, but c'est la vie!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this thought experiment as I've contemplated downsizing my life in general. The bike I zeroed in on that seemed to have the most range at a moderate price was the Rondo HVRT. Essentially an aero road bike with clearance for 47c 650b tires.

One question I'd ask about your plan, though, is whether you can use a wheel cover with disc brakes (which are a given if you want something that can do gravel). Wheel Builders says their aero jacket is not compatible with discs. Not sure why. Is that a universal issue?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts.

The bike you want is somewhere in the range of an aero gravel bike... like the 3t, or an endurance road bike.

It depends on your priority:

- the modern disc brake road bikes (including aero frames for your tri needs) tend to have clearance to 28mm (which means 32 if you are willing to push it). So you will be quick on road, and with proper tires/pressures... you will be fine for nice gravel: 4psi less in your tires is about the difference between a compliant and stiff frame fyi.

- endurance road bikes like the felt vr have a bit more tire clearance still, and more frame compliance.

- cx bikes and performance gravel bikes (a bit more tire clearance)

- gravel bikes. Some can take 650b or evern 29er wheels with 2-2.3 inch tires. My cx/gravel bike (giant tcx advanced sx) has 27.5x2.2 tires that have the same crr as Gp4000s2’s.

- Xc bike (hardtail or dualie). My scott spark has the same geometry as my gravel bike and it is about to get drop bars and a wheel swap from my gravel bike.

- every bike above can get a set of clip on aero bars for your tt needs.

So those options cover the needs you have. Bikes at the top of the list will be better for tt/road, and the ones at the bottom will be better for gravel, or even Singletrack (“monstercross” bikes).

But let me try to talk you out of your plan. You need two wheelsets. I advise the same cassette and disc brakes for each. I also advise the same hubs so that it can be a quick wheels swap. Same chain, no derailier adjustment changes.

But ideally you want aero wheels. Those will be expensive in disc as aero gravel wheels are a bit trendy right now.

For the 2000$ for a wheelset, you can get a good used or even new gravel bike. You have a good tri/road bike, and a road bike. They are not suddenly obsolete despite what marketing might say.

Plus, if you are like me (and many riders i know), the ideal of one really nice do-it-all bike is tempting, until you have to swap wheels, and say f#%k-it and just ride what is on it, and buy a separate bike for the other wheels.

Plus, can you really handle knowing that your all rounder is not quite as good at any one thing vs a dedicated tri/road/gravel bike?

So i think you need to get a used gravel bike and keep the jake and soloist. The giant txc is a nice budget option. I love mine and the tire clearance is great.

But if one bike is a must, a performance gravel bike may be best. Throw on aero bars, clip on bars, and make sure you have clearance for 650x2.0tires
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Aug 25, 19 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you sell the TT / Soloist, use Kona Jake for racing and pick up a used, or cheap, Gravel / MTN bike?

Still keeps you at 2 bikes, but would keep you well under your budget

Getting a new bike is fun :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the 3T or maybe the Ventum NS1.

One of the euro parts sites had a good deal in the 3T not too long ago but still a bit over 3k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming the change is related to storage space not funds? If storage isn't an issue then IME it's always worth hanging onto older bikes provided they fit you well. You never get much money selling bikes that are more than a few years old, they're nearly always worth more to you, even if it's just as a trainer bike, winter beater, commuter, etc. Even if you do have a storage issue but it's likely to be a relatively short term one then may be worth hanging onto old bikes if you have anywhere you can leave them free of charge like a friend or parent's loft.

If you really do need to sell and consolidate into a single bike then as mentioned above an aero gravel bike is your best bet. Something like the 3T though that's not exactly cheap. But do likely need 2 sets of wheels - a deeper aero set for road racing and tris/TTs, and a shallow set that can take wide tires for gravel.
Quote Reply