Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I think it is more like your work rowing at Princeton is finally paying off and you've been taper since doing wussy triathlon workouts. All that base and high end full throttle work just had to be converted to a bit of tri specificity, cause we all know that the real studs are rowers (which is why you were probably trying to gain weight "'back in the day")

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, congratultions on your 2nd Ironman title in the same year. That is a remarkable accomplishment.

However, I am curious about your color/fashion sense and what kind of impact it had on your race: You rode a red bike and wore a red race outfit. What effect did wearing red have on your overall race performance: like how many minutes faster are you wearing red than wearing another color like blue or green? If you had done the swim in a red wetsuit, do you think you would have had a faster swim split? Also, are you the superstitious type and will you continue to wear predominantly red race attire? If you were to change things up and wear a different color at your next race and then not have such a great performance do you see yourself regretting that choice and wishing you had stuck with the red attire?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many coats of glue on tyre/rim do you use?

Do you have your Amphibian unzipped for the marathon?

Awesome race and good on you for doing this Q&A again. Thanks!

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have some dumb questions:

1. Why did you rack your bike by the brake levers? (it looked like a fair amount of the pros did this; I thought USAT rule was by the seat only??)

2. What kind of warm-up did you do for the swim (both before getting in the water and while in the water)?

3. Do the motorbike fumes ever bother you on the run, as they are only a few feet in front of you?

4. Do you feel that you run better after a flatter (AZ) bike course vs. a hilly (Can)? Though your run times are essentially the same, if AZ leads to a faster/easier run, did you back off when you knew you had a solid lead?

5. What was your cadence on the bike?

Congrats on the win!

1. My seat height is too tall for the racks. If I try to rack it by the seat, both wheels hit the ground and the saddle still is on above the rack. So, yes, USAT tells me to rack it by the seat, and I show them I can't.

2. Nothing before starting the swim. I get in as soon as I can and then just swim easy. I do a couple sets of 10-15 hard strokes.

3. The motorbikes don't ever sit a few feet in front. If they are ever that close, they are off to one side. There are occasional moments when they get close (like if they change from side to front), but if/when that happens, it is only for a few seconds. When they are actually taping from the front, they are usually at least 25m ahead.

4. AZ run course is harder, and AZ may be flatter, but it's not "easier" because there is a lot of stop/start with all of the passing that I think actually taxes the run.

5. 80-something. This course is not great for referencing power and/or cadence, because it's quite erratic after the first lap.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First of all, congratultions on your 2nd Ironman title in the same year. That is a remarkable accomplishment.

However, I am curious about your color/fashion sense and what kind of impact it had on your race: You rode a red bike and wore a red race outfit. What effect did wearing red have on your overall race performance: like how many minutes faster are you wearing red than wearing another color like blue or green? If you had done the swim in a red wetsuit, do you think you would have had a faster swim split? Also, are you the superstitious type and will you continue to wear predominantly red race attire? If you were to change things up and wear a different color at your next race and then not have such a great performance do you see yourself regretting that choice and wishing you had stuck with the red attire?

Lime green is actually my current favorite color. But that wasn't an option. I am sure that lime green is faster than red. But fortunately no one else wore lime green. But I will stick with the red suit, because it's actually mandatory for Specialized athletes.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How many coats of glue on tyre/rim do you use?

Do you have your Amphibian unzipped for the marathon?

Awesome race and good on you for doing this Q&A again. Thanks!

Two tubes of Mastik'One. Three coats on the rim, two coats on the tire.

Unzipped on the run. Zipped on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You have to pee on the course at all?

About two miles into the run. I grab and sponge and just pee. One of the few times I wish for a two-piece suit...

On a serious note. I noticed Chris Lieto do the same in Kona. Is this something you actually practice?

Second question how often do you consume alcohol?

Third question, what do you mean by: "also seem to have better connection through my core. "

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what was your training like and nutrition coming up to the race ? Okay i know you can not answer that. Great Job out there Jordan. From what I can tell you deserved it and I hope you win many more.

Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but if you don't mind me asking...what was your average wattage for the ride and then what is your current ftp would you say? I guess I can just take the first number and use the 75% you say most everyone rides for IM.

Also, how much down time will you take now before you start getting back at it for 2010?

Last...what is your height? 6'0"?

Thanks and congrats on getting er done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To how many places have you memorized Pi? Did you feel if you had rode a minute slower you would have had time to solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or determined the question to the answer 42? ;-)

Kevin
Last edited by: flying wombat: Nov 26, 09 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you concerned with the evolution of the IM bike leg where races with strong fields can/do have big groups riding legally and getting a draft advantage seemingly reducing the advantage of stronger cyclists?

It happened in Kona and after the debacle in Clearwater we will start to see more of this at the IM distance, especially where there are strong fields.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You have to pee on the course at all?

About two miles into the run. I grab and sponge and just pee. One of the few times I wish for a two-piece suit...

On a serious note. I noticed Chris Lieto do the same in Kona. Is this something you actually practice?

Second question how often do you consume alcohol?

Third question, what do you mean by: "also seem to have better connection through my core. "

1) No, I don't practice.

2) I did a few times the week after IMC, but not since then. And before IMC, I probably did about 3x in total.

3) Have you ever eaten way too much? No imagine trying to do situps. That would be the extreme example of disconnection. So what I'm talking about is the opposite.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [DSmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but if you don't mind me asking...what was your average wattage for the ride and then what is your current ftp would you say? I guess I can just take the first number and use the 75% you say most everyone rides for IM.

Also, how much down time will you take now before you start getting back at it for 2010?

Last...what is your height? 6'0"?

Thanks and congrats on getting er done.

This ride is not a great ride to evaluate wattage. Each loop is VERY different. And each lap the variance increases as you pass and more people. Only the first lap do I ride the way I'd normally pace an Ironman. After that you have to stop, start, pass, slow, etc. So only the first lap is really a fair evaluation of how I'd ride, and that was similar to IMC - ~270w.

I'll take one week off totally. And then will start up formal training again about the beginning January. I will start doing *some* training next week.

6'3"

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To how many places have you memorized Pi? Did you feel if you had rode a minute slower you would have had time to solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or determined the question to the answer 42? ;-)

Kevin

I'm an engineer, not a mathematician. I've memorized the location of Pi on my math software.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you concerned with the evolution of the IM bike leg where races with strong fields can/do have big groups riding legally and getting a draft advantage seemingly reducing the advantage of stronger cyclists?

It happened in Kona and after the debacle in Clearwater we will start to see more of this at the IM distance, especially where there are strong fields.

Depends on the course. I doubt you'd ever find me on the course in IMFL. And I think we may see some changes with IM's new Pro Membership policy.

And I think Chris Lieto showed this year that strong cyclists can still do well in Kona.

I don't worry about it, because there's nothing I can do by worrying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

Have you eve considered racing in any of the "hotter" IM events , such as Malaysia or China ?

If so what do you think your electrolyte supplementation would look like ?

Will you be racing Kona 2010 ?

Thanks,

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan,

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

Have you eve considered racing in any of the "hotter" IM events , such as Malaysia or China ?

If so what do you think your electrolyte supplementation would look like ?

Will you be racing Kona 2010 ?

Thanks,

Terry

I think it would be pretty close to what I do now. I did the same protocol for IMAZ in Apr 2008 when it peaked at 97F, which was about as hot as I can imagine it being. I don't really have much desire to do China, where it can be so hot you don't really seem to be able to *race.*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First...congrats on a great finish.
I see you follow a "gluten-free" diet and you have told us what you ate on and before raceday, but would you mind telling us what you normally eat on a typical day. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that Jordan :)

Interested to hear your remarks on PKKC's question.
I was discussing gluten-free diets ( or lifestyle eating may be a better term ) with a friend of mine who has qualified for Kona each time he has tried ( 08/09 ) and he told me his coach advised him that many pro's like yourself , follow this "general" eating lifestyle.
We both live in South East Asia where rice is of course a staple . so that would be difficult and inconvenient to replace. Being disciplined in eating is something most of us have practiced for many years , but cutting out wholemeal bread , oatmeal , etc. that would really leave me at a loss for replacements.

As far as "racing" events like China and Malaysia , it is certainly difficult to keep your heart rate low , when you are running in 35-40C with high humidity.
I have participated in IM Malaysia in 07 and 08 and although I live in the region , it is an absolute test in heat management and correct electrolyte / nutrition replacement , because if you are not 100% dialed in , you will find out very quickly.

Thanks again !

Terry

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [PKKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First...congrats on a great finish.
I see you follow a "gluten-free" diet and you have told us what you ate on and before raceday, but would you mind telling us what you normally eat on a typical day. Thanks.

Typical day:

Pre-swim breakfast: panda puffs (corn cereal) with almond breeze & Vega shake (plus multi-V and Optygen)

SWIM

Post-swim breakfast: two pieces bacon & two eggs on two pieces rice bread with apricot preserves

Lunch: one (or two depending on the duration of the ride) almond-butter and jelly sandwiches on rice bread

BIKE & RUN OFF BIKE: on bike - EFS bottles with extra electrolytes and EFS or Lara bar

Post-workout: Ultragen shake

Dinner: home-made organic chicken tacos with quinoa, homemmade guacamole, goat milk cheese

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for that Jordan :)

Interested to hear your remarks on PKKC's question.
I was discussing gluten-free diets ( or lifestyle eating may be a better term ) with a friend of mine who has qualified for Kona each time he has tried ( 08/09 ) and he told me his coach advised him that many pro's like yourself , follow this "general" eating lifestyle.
We both live in South East Asia where rice is of course a staple . so that would be difficult and inconvenient to replace. Being disciplined in eating is something most of us have practiced for many years , but cutting out wholemeal bread , oatmeal , etc. that would really leave me at a loss for replacements.

As far as "racing" events like China and Malaysia , it is certainly difficult to keep your heart rate low , when you are running in 35-40C with high humidity.
I have participated in IM Malaysia in 07 and 08 and although I live in the region , it is an absolute test in heat management and correct electrolyte / nutrition replacement , because if you are not 100% dialed in , you will find out very quickly.

Thanks again !

Terry

You know rice is gluten free, right? Oats are also generally considered acceptable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha.......why the hell did I ever think ther was gluten in rice ? But embarassingly yes I did :(

Thank you fo the advanced clarity :)

Terry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you eat oats? I'm trying to go gluten free/low grains for the first now that I'm in the pre-base before my first Ironman, but I also REALLY like oatmeal pancakes for snacks/meals (egg whites & rolled oats)

Do you do much trail running?

thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hahahaha.......why the hell did I ever think ther was gluten in rice ? But embarassingly yes I did :(

Thank you fo the advanced clarity :)

Terry

Actually, living in Asia, I think I know why you might have. Many rice crackers are made using "glutinous rice." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice But the key is that it is glutInous rice, as in "glue like." I.e., it is made from sticky rice (suhi rice). This is not the same glutEn.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you eat oats? I'm trying to go gluten free/low grains for the first now that I'm in the pre-base before my first Ironman, but I also REALLY like oatmeal pancakes for snacks/meals (egg whites & rolled oats)

Do you do much trail running?

thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions

I don't eat oats, but mostly because I don't really like them. I would say maybe try eliminating gluten for two weeks, but keep your oats. Then try two weeks where you also eliminate oats and see if you feel a difference.

I don't run a lot of technical trails in season, but I love to otherwise. I do the vast majority of my runs on dirt, though, just more of what I'd consider to be "paths" rather than trails. I.e., I run on dirt roads or smooth trails, rather than something like a MTB trail. So if your question pertains to running surface only, then yes I run almost exclusively on trails. But if you are talking about terrain/topography, then I run trails in the off-season or when I'm building back into training (i.e., when speed does not matter).

You are very welcome.

Quote Reply

Prev Next