Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
plant_based wrote:
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
I wear an 8.5 in the zoom Fly 3 and a 9 in the next%
I have been wearing Brooks forever and run in the various Launch models and wear a 9.5 in those.

Shoe sizes are messed up - always try on if you can before buying.

I wear a 11.5 in the Zoom Fly 3 and they feel great, but have 11.5 in the Next% and its pretty tight. I could send them back.

Do you like the Zoom Fly 3 or Next% better?

Shoes sizes are really messed up. They are not consistent. I tried three different pairs with same size and one of them felt less tight than other two. There’s a slight variation so be careful when you buy Next%. Half of the people say true to the size and the other half say go for one size up.

Yeah, it is genuinely messed up. I have the Next% for a 3/15 race, but they are so tight and it is a 26.2 race, so hopefully I won't be that uncomfortable during the race as its a lot of running. I'd like to keep them for a Sept 70.3, but honestly if they are too tight in this race, I'm tempted to go back to Running Warehouse and exchange for a 1/2 size up. They have a 90 day policy for returns and this would ultimately cut into the running shoe store's profit margins to accept an exchange like that. I think about stuff like that and it weighs on me.

I really don't want to do that to the store, but ultimately it is because of Nike's odd sizing changes. I looked at the size of the shoe and the bottom area where the bottom of the foot sits seems identical across the Next% and all of Nike's other shoes (ZF2, 4%, ZF3). But, the Next% tapers on the edges in the front and the angles coming up from the sides are more extreme than the ZF3, with the Next% having an inflexible toe box, unlike the Flyknit ZF2 or 4%, which have a lot of give. And the ZF3 has a roomy toebox.

I actually purchased shoe stretchers to try to stretch out the toebox of the Next%, without compromising the integrity of the shoe technology and I think it helped a little (they were $20 on Amazon). But, still haven't race tested them and don't know if its really fair to return a pair that has been race tested, but also don't like to spend as much money as these shoes cost without being satisfied with something as elementary as sizing. I don't really want an extra 1/2 of shoe and would prefer the shoes being a little tight if that means I can hit my cadence goals.

So probably going to keep them, but it makes me question sizing on the Alpha Fly and I stress out about this stuff way too much. I wish they would just make the ZF2 and ZF3 with ZoomX foam and then I think they would have a great shoe. I am not a big fan of the Next% upper and lacing, but the shoe technology seems to be on point. I just wish it were more of a match for me like the ZF2, ZF3, 4%. My foot isn't even that big per se. I've never had issues with a small toe box before the Next%.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope everyone looks at the shoe specs first. It’s a 4mm drop. Going to be VERY different from the 8mm Next and 11mm 4s

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I hope everyone looks at the shoe specs first. It’s a 4mm drop. Going to be VERY different from the 8mm Next and 11mm 4s

I wish the drop were more to be honest - I like 10mm-11mm.

Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

I wish the drop were more to be honest - I like 10mm-11mm.

When the new regulations were announced I wondered if shoe manufacturers might do something like this. Having a lower drop means you can have more midsole volume at the same heel stack. Effectively you get more shoe within the same regulation. Lots of people are fine with a low drop and if you aren't you can put in a heel lift in. Technically I'm pretty sure an elite isn't allowed to do that though. The other thing is I seem to remember Nike saying, during one of the 2 hour races, that something like a 10mm drop was optimum. I guess that changes once you have a stack regulation.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinvara is my favorite all time shoe....4mm drop. Should work well for me. Will see if it has the same rocker feel as the others

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I’ve heard rumors that we’ll see a lot of the Nike pros running in next%, not alphafly on Sunday. I was all aboard the train trying to get a pair of these but now I am not sure.

You don’t do anything new on the race day so that totally makes sense. No matter how good they are I would be hesitant to run in them without any training.

I would have assumed the pros would have had these shoes for awhile. How long ago did Kipchohe break 2 in them?
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got the text the Alphafly are available for preorder for Nike Plus members. I immediately hit the link and the only size available was 7. That was my shoe size when I was like 9 years old.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes me feel better I saw it after like 5 mins and it was the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I logged in and tried to buy a pair at exactly 1000ET when it opened up and my size (11 and 11.5) was already sold out and by 1001 they were sold out of just about every size. Such BS

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen when the tempo next % are being released? I was thinking they’d come with the Alphafly today but does not look like they were released.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [gbc0005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbc0005 wrote:
Has anyone seen when the tempo next % are being released? I was thinking they’d come with the Alphafly today but does not look like they were released.

Those aren’t being released till after the Olympics from my understanding so non sponsored can’t train in it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, most Nike pro have them for awhile.

The reason some Nike pro will not run them is, IMO, the consequence of "performance spreading".

If you look in detail the lab results of tests of the Nike VF 4% (performed in 2016, 2017, ...with elite or semi-elite runners) you noticed the "average gain" of the VF4% was around 3 or 4% compared to old flats (Streak, Adios). This was the origin of the name : 4%

But the individual gain for each runner was roughly between 0% and 6%, depending on the runner. This is "performance spreading". Not all runner respond the same way to the VF4% in term of performance (let aside stability). Each runner respond differently to the front/heel softness, plate, ... all this coming from the high stack of good foam + plate.
This was much less the case with old flats, as they were very very similar, "perf spreading" for these shoes was nearly negligible.

6% of difference between runners, with same shoes, is not negligible, it is huge.

The VF4%, the Next and the AlphaFly are different shoes. Maybe the average gain of the Alphafly comparing to old flats is "in average" 5% (just as an exemple), better than the VF4%.
But again, individually for each runner the gain can be between 0 to 10% (just as an exemple).

Each runner individually respond to each of these shoes in a different way. Maybe the Next give you +5%, and the Alphafly +3% compared to old flats. Or the opposite.

Maybe you respond better to the Next, maybe you respond better to the Alphafly. So, if you are a Nike pro, you test and then you choose. Except if your contract prevent you to choose.

If you are not a pro, like me, the only way to know which shoes are best for me will be to test them seriously. How do I really respond to each of them ?
There is now 3 Nike models, 2 Saucony, 2 New Balance, one Brook, ... probably having this kind of "perf spreading" due to individual runner response to the foam / plate shape / geometry / stability / ...
Choice will take into account performance, confort, stability, look and price.

Or you can rely on testers such as RTR.
For exemple, from initial tests, the Brooks Hyperion Elite seems seriously targeted at runner much faster than me.

Maybe we can anticipate there will be a service similar to "bike fit" or "wind tunnel" to have a real insight on how each of us respond to each of these "new generation" shoe model. Several % gain choosing the right model, heck, why not.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
I logged in and tried to buy a pair at exactly 1000ET when it opened up and my size (11 and 11.5) was already sold out and by 1001 they were sold out of just about every size. Such BS
I got a pair in my size (9) confirmed right at 10am.. don’t plan to run another marathon until the fall so most likely I’ll sell them and pick up another pair in a few months when they restock.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:

Got the text message, clicked the link, the only size available was 7... but the price of $275 is not as bad as I thought it would be. Guessing the stock that could have hit the market is wholly impacted by their free shoe giveaway in Atlanta.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised that is was only 275. I was expecting 295-350.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
TX83 wrote:

Got the text message, clicked the link, the only size available was 7... but the price of $275 is not as bad as I thought it would be. Guessing the stock that could have hit the market is wholly impacted by their free shoe giveaway in Atlanta.

Yeah $275 seems reasonable nowadays for a race shoe.

Its funny because a pair of size 7s just sold this morning at 11:48am for $650. This shoe is coming in hot.

https://stockx.com/...mp;utm_source=google

Last edited by: plant_based: Feb 29, 20 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is StockX like an ebay? Or are they like a broker that re-sells shoes like brokers use stubhub?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have info on when is the large release going to be? Today I've seen people commenting on posts saying end of March, but not sure how accurate is that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So is StockX like an ebay? Or are they like a broker that re-sells shoes like brokers use stubhub?

Its like ebay, but I would say more secure than ebay for shoes. They have quality control people that check out each shoe for authenticity and then they stamp it with a little seal that you have to break when you buy the shoes. I'd probably trust them more than ebay for the new shoe market.

I couldn't get the 4% last season in my size anywhere and StockX had it new for a reasonable price.

https://stockx.com/how-it-works

THE STOCK MARKET
FOR THINGS
StockX is the world’s first stock market for things – a live ‘bid/ask’ marketplace. Buyers place bids, sellers place asks and when a bid and ask meet, the transaction happens automatically. Retro Jordans, Nikes, Yeezys and more – now 100% authentic guaranteed.

Last edited by: plant_based: Feb 29, 20 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Indeed, most Nike pro have them for awhile.

The reason some Nike pro will not run them is, IMO, the consequence of "performance spreading".

If you look in detail the lab results of tests of the Nike VF 4% (performed in 2016, 2017, ...with elite or semi-elite runners) you noticed the "average gain" of the VF4% was around 3 or 4% compared to old flats (Streak, Adios). This was the origin of the name : 4%

But the individual gain for each runner was roughly between 0% and 6%, depending on the runner. This is "performance spreading". Not all runner respond the same way to the VF4% in term of performance (let aside stability). Each runner respond differently to the front/heel softness, plate, ... all this coming from the high stack of good foam + plate.
This was much less the case with old flats, as they were very very similar, "perf spreading" for these shoes was nearly negligible.

6% of difference between runners, with same shoes, is not negligible, it is huge.

The VF4%, the Next and the AlphaFly are different shoes. Maybe the average gain of the Alphafly comparing to old flats is "in average" 5% (just as an exemple), better than the VF4%.
But again, individually for each runner the gain can be between 0 to 10% (just as an exemple).

Each runner individually respond to each of these shoes in a different way. Maybe the Next give you +5%, and the Alphafly +3% compared to old flats. Or the opposite.

Maybe you respond better to the Next, maybe you respond better to the Alphafly. So, if you are a Nike pro, you test and then you choose. Except if your contract prevent you to choose.

If you are not a pro, like me, the only way to know which shoes are best for me will be to test them seriously. How do I really respond to each of them ?
There is now 3 Nike models, 2 Saucony, 2 New Balance, one Brook, ... probably having this kind of "perf spreading" due to individual runner response to the foam / plate shape / geometry / stability / ...
Choice will take into account performance, confort, stability, look and price.

Or you can rely on testers such as RTR.
For exemple, from initial tests, the Brooks Hyperion Elite seems seriously targeted at runner much faster than me.

Maybe we can anticipate there will be a service similar to "bike fit" or "wind tunnel" to have a real insight on how each of us respond to each of these "new generation" shoe model. Several % gain choosing the right model, heck, why not.

This sure is a long wided way of saying that the 4% is faster for some people and AlphaFly is faster for others because everyone is different. lol

If it varies by person, then RTR won't help you in the %performance gain regard, either.

Every review I've seen so far has crapped on the Hyperion at any pace, saying you might as well get an old style racing flat. The Saucony and NB look to have a lot of potential though. It should be a good shoe year for all of us!
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, a tad long. But I'm french, it is sometimes a bit difficult for me to be straight to the point in english.

Yes, for each "new generation shoes", the "gain vs old flats" is very individual, even for peoples with exactly similar "elite" physical capacities. And this big variance most probably increase if you look at slower runners.

Yes, reviews will not solve the individual part of the test, but they help me eliminating the shoes not enough stable, not enough cushioned, or not calibrated for my (slow) speed.

From the remaining shoes (stable enough, cushioned enough, "slow runner friendly"...), I will probably buy 2 of them, and perform my own efficiency tests, vs my Carbon X and old VF4%. The winner will be my race shoe, the others will be in my training rotation.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was kind of expecting reviews by now. Their pros have had them a while, other pros now have them, they are out in the open and talked about a lot. But reviewers, presumably, haven't had the go ahead to release reviews. I'm sure it's just marketing. They were always going to sell out any releases for months, so they don't need the extra press. But it must be frustrating for legit reviewers under NDA when people with the shoes from the 1st release will start talking about them as they aren't restricted. Or maybe they haven't got them to reviewers and it'll take as long as it takes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have read and seen on videos the "general consensus" is:

Alphafly vs Next %

1. Alphafly upper is better....by just a little bit.
2. Aplhafly is heaver by a considerable bit
3. Alphafly is bouncy'er but that dies off after about 50-75 miles....depending on the reviewer.
4. Alphafly "feels" cluncky'er. Foot turnover "feels" slower
5. Alphafly pretty unstable if your a heal striker.

The overall conclusion from various souses. The upper is really neat but hard to get your foot in, the bounce is really nice but it doesn't last long, the Next % is lighter and feels faster. It seemed that most of the reviewer were going to stick with the Next %.....assuming you can find them still, until 2021 when Nike comes out the the Alphafly 2.0. My guess right before the Olympics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next