Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of my O.G. Strength Shoes from the 90's:

<The Dew Abides>
Last edited by: dewman: Feb 5, 20 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHY IN THE WORLD DO THEY KEEP WITH AN UNSTRUCTURED UPPER?

Throw that knit out and get me a decent heel cup.

But I do like the colorway.

Also a trainer in the Air Zoom Tempo.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Feb 5, 20 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tested a prototype of these last spring and they were pretty nice; lots of bounce. I'm not sure what all was on the inside of the prototype, but it definitely had the airpods in the forefoot.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just know that If you PR in these Nikes you’re only kidding yourself, you haven’t necessarily become a better athlete due to discipline and hard training (or at least you’ll never know for sure).

But whatever, a PR is a PR I guess. Just had to put my thoughts into words. Carry on

🏃🏻‍♂💨!
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [🏃🏻‍♂] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [🏃🏻‍♂] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Prince

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:

yep--good call...except one was an inspired, but not effective, imagination of the future and the other is a quantum step forward that's right now!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:

So if I run in these and do some lunge-walks I'll be able to dunk again just like in H.S./college again...AND run fast times. SOLD!! But seriously, my calves are on fire just remembering the first week of Strength Shoe workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
🏃🏻‍♂ wrote:
Just know that If you PR in these Nikes you’re only kidding yourself, you haven’t necessarily become a better athlete due to discipline and hard training (or at least you’ll never know for sure).

But whatever, a PR is a PR I guess. Just had to put my thoughts into words. Carry on
# of fucks given... 0
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Okay, boomer

Fixed 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
🏃🏻‍♂ wrote:

lol. Okay. By virtue of these shoes being less shitty than other shoes and wasting less energy it negates your efforts?
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Nike is absolutely crushing it. If the Next (or soon Alphafly) doesn't work for you--you are at a disadvantage. If you don't get them for some "principled" reason, you are making a mistake.

However, as a PSA, I'd like to caution all M60-64 YOs to not use them--they are not built for our Age Group!

Well...

when a realistic comparison will be made between the various "new generation shoes" such as 4%, Next, Alphafly, Endorphin Pro, Hyperion Elite, NB Racer RC (the lighter version, not the TC), Skecher Speed Elite, future Hoka, .... and possibly some others...

ideally at different speed, different runner weight, different foot strike, different stability request ...

then we will be able to really say what shoes give an advantage for a given runner.... or just empty your wallet and dilate your ego.

Now, we don't know.

Some serious study published 2 years ago indicated VF4% was really delivering a 2 to 4% advantage compared to old racing flat.
But how do the "new generation shoes" compare each other.... we have no clue, really.
Quote Reply
Re: [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also what is the difference with the Alpha and the current next 4% or whatever it is called?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see no issues with these, if people want them and they improve their performance then great.

However, they are no substitute for consistent training, getting enough decent sleep and eating well. Most of us would see far greater gains by nailing the basics but like everything in life, every little helps.

Personally I still run in a more minimalist shoe as the Next% are way more than my talent would benefit from. I may well make the shift at some point but not until I think there would be a real tangible benefit versus the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:
I see no issues with these, if people want them and they improve their performance then great.

However, they are no substitute for consistent training, getting enough decent sleep and eating well. Most of us would see far greater gains by nailing the basics but like everything in life, every little helps.

Personally I still run in a more minimalist shoe as the Next% are way more than my talent would benefit from. I may well make the shift at some point but not until I think there would be a real tangible benefit versus the cost.

Actually the benefit is seen across all speeds, refer to either one of the two NYT Strava metastudies. The cost benefit you do should take into account whether you want to be faster right now or wait until you feel you are competitive

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]lol. Okay. By virtue of these shoes being less shitty than other shoes and wasting less energy it negates your efforts?[/quote]
I might have come off too aggressively not my intention.

Not negating your effort, it’s just that the same effort it takes for a 3 hr marathon can now be a couple minutes sub 3 with the same output. Shoes have now become part of the PR equation

It’s like wearing those banned swimsuits for a time check, your pr is 1:30 but then you put on the suit and magically swim 1:26 for 100m or a more exaggerated example comparing times with or without fins. The equipment is now part of the performance conversation, which in running wasn’t really the case before.

It’s a new era.

🏃🏻‍♂💨!
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree PW that a study of that type would be great. Practically speaking however, we won’t have that for quite some time as many of these shoes are not yet released. Perhaps a similar analysis of Strava data, like that in the Times will become available in the back half of the year.

Until then, we can look at the data available and draw inferences and make decisions now about what shoes to use. The data I see is:

1. The aforementioned Strava study shows Next/VF4 to have a 2-4% time advantage over any other commonly used shoe. That’s roughly 3-7 minutes for a 3 hour marathoner and 5-10 for a 4 hour marathoner.
2. Something like 70% of all sub 3 hour marathons in the 4th quarter were run in these shoes, including the fastest male and female marathons of all time.
3. It is the shoe of choice in the latest IM races such as Kona
4. At a personal level, I’ve tested them against The Carbon X and was noticeably (like 6%) faster in the Nikes and my legs felt way better during the runs and especially over the next 2 days.
5. Now comes the Alpha which we know was used to go sub 2 hours in the marathon
6. Nike is touting the Alpha as faster than the Next/VF

Until the study you talk of comes out, this is the data we have. For me, it’s enough to conclude that “we have no clue” is not accurate. We do have some pretty strong evidence.

If it looks like a duck and quacks, it’s probably a duck!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't shoes always been involved? Going back to the 60s at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first reaction upon seeing this is 'I'd never wear those things - they look so weird.' However, that was my reaction to the Next% and I ended up getting a pair and having my best ever 70.3 run in them on the back of the fastest overall bike time in the race. Never say never, but depending on price and performance I may get a pair of these at some point.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I totally get that they will benefit across all speeds. I think my point which you did get was that unless you’re fully committed to all aspects of your running then whilst they will be a benefit they aren’t making up for discipline or hard work, no matter how competitive you are.

Most of us will never get close to maxing out our potential as we just can’t be arsed. If running is a hobby it’s very easy for life to get in the way which will cost you far more than the 4% you may get back from the shoe in efficiency.

Like I said earlier I’m all for them, but I’ll be holding back until I think they will make a real difference to break through a plateau.
Quote Reply
Re: [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
Also what is the difference with the Alpha and the current next 4% or whatever it is called?

Flyknit 4%: Less thick. Shoes fit like socks.
Next%: Sole/foam is thicker and more bouncy than 4%
Alpha Fly Next%: 3 carbon plates and air pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
🏃🏻‍♂ wrote:
lol. Okay. By virtue of these shoes being less shitty than other shoes and wasting less energy it negates your efforts?[/quote]

I might have come off too aggressively not my intention.

Not negating your effort, it’s just that the same effort it takes for a 3 hr marathon can now be a couple minutes sub 3 with the same output. Shoes have now become part of the PR equation

It’s like wearing those banned swimsuits for a time check, your pr is 1:30 but then you put on the suit and magically swim 1:26 for 100m or a more exaggerated example comparing times with or without fins. The equipment is now part of the performance conversation, which in running wasn’t really the case before.

It’s a new era.[/quote]

So I assume you run barefoot
Last edited by: Calvin386: Feb 6, 20 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Haven't shoes always been involved? Going back to the 60s at least.

This. Personally I feel you’re just kidding yourself unless you PR in shoes from 1952.

The stupidity of ignoring all other shoe advances except for this one and saying we’ll now it’s the shoes is remarkable.

Also why the fascination with PRs they’re more course dependent than how fast you’re running. Give me a hard course over a fast course any day.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
1Wavemaker wrote:

Flyknit 4%: Less thick. Shoes fit like socks.
Next%: Sole/foam is thicker and more bouncy than 4%
Alpha Fly Next%: 3 carbon plates and air pockets.

Also NEXT% changed the upper to vaporweave to deal with water retention concerns
Alphafly has a new "Atomknit" so we'll find out what that means.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The heal cup is awesome. Its (the vaporfly) was the first heal cup that didn't hub/hurt my Achilles.

The knit upper? Well Nike's last knit upper sucked when I got sweaty so we will have to see on this one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next